Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my accu-strut should be here friday. Any of y'all have any suggestions or experiences I need to know about before I go throwin it on? I know it's been mentioned to dimple the gas block, but what size bit? And im guessin just enough for the screw to catch correct?

·
Exalted One
1,808 Posts
You are correct on the dimpling. Can't say what size bit, but those gas blocks are tough, so it ought to be a pretty strong bit.

My guess/recommendation would be put the strut and clamps on and make sure everything is lined up and secure, screw in the screws so they make a mark on the gas block (so you'll know where to dimple), remove the strut, then start out with a small bit, then go to a larger one. It won't need to be very big, just enough for the screws to bite.

I didn't dimple mine, but it is a long story and a peculiar set-up, since I had to work around a bayonet lug. The bayonet lug keeps it secure.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I was thinking of mounting with clamps and just making a mark with a scribe through the threaded hole but if the screw will leave a mark to drill, that makes it worlds easier.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I put an accu-strut on my mini, yet did not dimple the gas block. I put it all together without loc-tite, then took out one screw at a time and put on the loc-tite.

Put over a thousand rounds through it and no problems at all. Notice'd better accuracy right away. Very happy with it, would recomend.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Ok I hope I might be able to help here I just mounted my Trueshot Barrel Stabilizer on my 188 series Ruger Mini-14. From what RJF has suggested I can tell you this will work. Just mount your accu-strut has RJF has suggested & just snug down the machine screws on the barrel clamps and also do the same on the machine screws on the gas block. Then remove the acc-strut and there will be marks on the gas block from the mounting screws. This will give you a spot to drill in the dimple for the machine screws to grab onto. Now is it really necessary to drill dimples into the gas block?? Well I watched the guy who sells the accu-strut on YouTube and he didn't recommend doing the drill dimple thing. He just used the Blue Thread Lock on the Accu-Strut barrel stabilizer where its suggested but didn't dimple the gas block. I have read others that also just really snugged down the machine screws and used the Blue Thread Loc. I basically did the same thing with my True Shot barrel stabilizer and let it set over night and everything has set up very firm and stable on my Mini-14 hope this helps good luck!!!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Myself, I did the dimpling using a hardened steel bit and then used the blue Loctite, in fact if I remember right, I believe Accu-Strut sent a purple Loctite, is what I used. I've had well over a 1000 rounds thru that rifle and have not noticed any shift on that strut at all, and the rifle definitely holds zero. 3 rounds in under a moa, and 5 rounds right an inch to an inch and a half.

·
Registered
136 Posts
+1 on what RJF said...use a 1/8" bit and just dimple it enough so the crown of the set screw fits into it. I used a transfer punch to mark mine as well while the strut was on it. Just take it loose, drill it and re-assemble with the blue loctite on the screws. Start to finish, took maybe 30 minutes. Good luck!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Where is the cheapest place to get one and are they worth it? robin

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got mine from sunflower outdoors. Accustrut only listed 2 retailers on their website and sunflower was the only one that had them when I made my order. Others may know other sources

·
Exalted One
1,808 Posts
Ok. Thoughts on spacing on the clamps? It's a full length model
Depends on if your barrel is tapered or a pencil. If a pencil barrel, put the rear clamp as close to the gas block as possible. The front clamp, perhaps 1/4" from the front end after the strut levels out (i.e. not on the nut-looking front part). That's how I did mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Accu-Strut website has mounting instructions, including dimples for the set screws.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is a 187 series. I will get on their website in a minute and check out the instructions. Thanks everybody for the advice! Always been a bolt gun guy so I'm learning a new beast

·
Exalted One
1,808 Posts
Where is the cheapest place to get one and are they worth it? robin
Hawken, they are certainly worth it if your Mini is an early model pencil barrel. Go for a 6" length - not a SOCOM length (about 4"). If you have a newer model (tapered barrel), your improvements will be less noticeable and possibly not worth the expense; for a pencil barrel (no taper), they'll reduce your MOA by about half or better - particularly after the barrel heats up.

Just do a Google (or Bing) search for Accustrut and compare. They'll run in the neighborhood of about $100 +/-. Got mine through Amazon.

There are three different manufacturers: AccuStrut, Mo-Rod, and TrueShot; all variations on the same theme. I recommend Accustrut mostly because I personally thing it looks the best of the three (an opinion) and because I prefer to reward the original inventor of the whole concept of a strut for the Mini (Kevin Kina of AccuStrut). He spent a lot of time and effort on this.

It is all up to you, but particularly for a pencil barrel, they are most definitely worth it if you are looking for accuracy improvements.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine came out to 109.99 plus shipping if I remember correctly. And I agree, I think it looks the best and the originator aught to get the fruits of his labor. I hate how time seems to stop when gun parts are just a tracking number.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just put my accu strut on my 188 this morning. Used a punch to mark where the set screws are and drilled dimples using a 5/64 bit followed by a 1/8, went just deep enough for a dimple. Instructions say do not put the loctite on screws but to put where the clamps touch each barrel. Got mine on amazon for just under $100. Havent shot with it yet but if looks could kill, damn.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I didn't dimple the gas block the first time and the Accustrut moved forward after 50 rounds or so. Went back and dimpled it and it has stayed in place since.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts