Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a pre 580 series Mini and installed the Accu-Strut on it and in my opinion, it improved my accuracy by a credible amount. Well, I sold the rifle and recently picked up a stainless 583 series. This model has a larger diameter barrel along with other improvements, but I’m wondering if the Accu-Strut would offer any additional improvements. Anybody tried one of these on the newer series Mini?

·
"The Real Deal"
9,109 Posts
I can see it would be a positive. Adding to rigidity, and biggest benefit increasing the surface area to allow faster cooling, like a heatsink in other words. It improved my older 88 model mini greatly, so i can see it might help the newer version as well.

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ

·
Registered
845 Posts
I put the Accuracy Systems stabilizer on my 583, but havn't shot enough to tell anything. It shot good before I put it on, but figured it might help a small bit, also helping in cooling the barrel.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
You may notice some improvement in accuracy, but it won't be as dramatic as with the older series rifle.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
My 581 series Mini shoots fine with no strut. I guess if you were really hyper about MOA there might be a minor improvement. Maybe.

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Really, all the strut will do on a 583 series is add weight and look cool.
As others said, any accuracy improvement will be insignificant.

If a bit more accuracy is what you seek, improve the crown, do a trigger job, shim the action in the stock, add buffers and/ or a smaller gas bushing, get into handloading, and try some lighter torque values on the gas block screws.

·
Registered
610 Posts
To me, minute of Coke can bottom accuracy is just fine at 100 yatds. the Mini is not a target rifle by any stretch of the imagination. That should be enough to hit an 8" gong at 300 yards, which is plenty for its designed purposes. I was interested to see French policemen carying some flavor of the Mini during the unrest in France. :) The accu strut looks cool, tho, andjust may help accuracy some. My idea of "necessary" accesories for the Mini are: possibly a reduced gas port, soit doesn't fling brass into the back 40, and or one of the brass catcher bags that prevent te same thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To me, minute of Coke can bottom accuracy is just fine at 100 yatds. the Mini is not a target rifle by any stretch of the imagination. That should be enough to hit an 8" gong at 300 yards, which is plenty for its designed purposes. I was interested to see French policemen carying some flavor of the Mini during the unrest in France. :)
I agree wholeheartedly flyboy61. Obviously I’m not looking for benchrest MOA accuracy. My goal is consistent practical accuracy. And being a fan and owner of the Garand and M1A, I like the looks of the strut. My budget is probably going to make this decision.

·
Registered
852 Posts
On the newer rifles, I would not put one. In my opinion, something else to loosen up, flop around, or cause any more issues. I like the clean lines of my 583 without the Accustrut.

Reactions: sandog and RJF

·
Registered
26 Posts
You may notice some improvement in accuracy, but it won't be as dramatic as with the older series rifle.
Pretty much this. I replaced my factory gas block with one from Accuracy Systems. My groups shrank, but not dramatically. It’s a Mini.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In your experience, what is a doable accuracy goal to a 580 series without a barrel change? I would expect 2 MOA with trigger, bedding and strut work. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I know everyone wants to get the best accuracy out of their rifles, no matter the brand, or type. 2 MOA ain't bad out of anything, anything better than that is gravy. The average person isn't gonna shoot much better than that.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
With a scope mine will do 2 MOA with good ammo and no bedding or trigger. I wont get that with a red dot or irons.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In your experience, what is a doable accuracy goal to a 580 series without a barrel change? I would expect 2 MOA with trigger, bedding and strut work. Am I wrong?
2 MOA is outstanding for the average shooter. For a Mini, it’s probably the best it’ll ever do and it’s the most you’ll ever need.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Uncle Grinch, sounds like you are set on a strut, by all means get one. I haven't removed the strut from my wood stock Mini (Maggie) but took the strut off the synthetic stock one (Sasha).
No difference whatsoever., except for more weight with the strut.
Strut is still here in this pic.

JTJ hit it right in post #12, use that money you were going to spend on a strut and get an Ultimak instead.
Helps stiffen the barrel and dampen vibrations, gets optics away from the action and ejection pattern, mounts optics low so you still have a cheek weld, and vastly increases your peripheral vision.

As far as bedding, sure, do a simple credit card shim if you have some lateral movement in your stock.
Glass bedding a Mini like it was a benchrest rifle ? Jeezus It's a Mini, not a 1/4 MOA varmint slayer or competition rifle.

I can think of a half dozen other ways to get accuracy gains. None of them will make a big difference by themselves, but put together you'll have a nice shooting, reliable Mini that is still LIGHT AND GREAT HANDLING.
I emphasized light and great handling, as I can't see trying to turn a Mini into a heavy beast of a sniper rifle.
Huge scopes, bipods, lace on sponge pads and half a foot long flash hiders look cool, and will gain you some accuracy.
But at the expense of hefty weight, bulk, greatly reduced effectiveness on multiple and/or moving targets, greatly reduced effectiveness on close in targets, and increased fatigue from packing a 10 pound Mini around.
That is called 'diminishing returns". Sure, you gain a little bit of accuracy, but now your Mini is only good for distant, stationary targets.

The very best thing you can do is experiment with lighter gas block torque values on any Mini, no matter if it is a tapered barrel or older pencil barrel. I did some tests with both Minis and posted the results on PU forum.
I have yet to see anyone report back that they've tried to "tune" the gas block screws for the load being used, it works.

On a pencil barrel Mini-14, installing a dual clamp strut will work wonders.

Heavy or gritty trigger ? Send your trigger group to a smith or watch the GunDoc trigger video. Just replacing the secondary sear spring with a M*Carbo or clipping a coil off a spare sear spring can get a 6 1/2 lb. pull down to 4 1/2 or so.

Crowns on the Minis I've seen aren't the greatest, it is very easy to improve on the factory crown with hand tools I use that were purchased from Brownell's.

Buffers and smaller gas bushings----- some hate them, but all of us that use them see all of the benefits and none of the downsides that we hear about constantly.

Cutting a factory 18.5" barrel down to 16.5" has accuracy benefits too. A shorter barrel is a stiffer barrel, less wild vibrations upon firing. After cutting down the barrel, and re-crowning, I thread the barrel for a flash hider.
Adding a flash hider, whether it be a screw-on one or a pin-on like the Choate, also has accuracy benefits.
That weight hanging off the end of the barrel helps dampen vibrations as well.

The wood stock Mini weighs 7 1/2 lbs. and the synthetic stock one weighs a fraction over 7 lbs.
They are handy, not limited by high power optics so can be used effectively at closer ranges or multiple targets, but still provide enough accuracy to put all rounds into a 6 inch group at 300 yards.
I am constantly amazed by the number of guys that think 2 MOA isn't good enough. It's not enough to hit a deer, hog or bad guy in the center of the boiler room, I guess you need to be able to shoot their eyes out too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@sandog is pretty much dead on and is providing really good examples of what a Mini can and should do. Wish I’d found this forum long ago.

Mine has been modified in the following:
  • MCARBO sear spring to reduce trigger pull,
  • Wolff extra power spring,
  • Accuracy Systems gas block with built in strut,
  • Power Custom BlackJack piston buffer,
  • 1-4X optic on a GG&G reciever
Even with all this, the best it will do is 2MOA, which is exactly what I want it and need it do. Coyotes get within 25m of my house and hogs get even closer. That’s rural life, and combat pest control is exactly where the Mini shines.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts