Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of accuracy are you guys getting with 480 Ruger Alaskan revolvers and with what ammo? Thanks in advance for all replies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an Alaskan 480 and a custom 6-inch SRH 480. I like the 6 incher better and am considering selling the Alaskan.

The Alaskan isn't really a gun for any kind of distance shooting. It has a short sight radius, short barrel, short dwell time, not as much spin as longer barrels. It's a gun with a scenario in mind where a camper or fisherman has to point and fire at a charging bear from 20 feet tops I'd imagine.

And don't be fooled by anyone who says that 480 Ruger is a soft recoiling large bore -- because it is certainly not. Firing either the Alaskan or full size 480, feels like getting whacked hard in the palm by a hammer.

All that said, the Alaskan is a very sturdy revolver, and mine (2014 manufacture) has an exceptional trigger right out of the box. I just don't have a practical use for it and I like my other 480 better.

Here's a pic of my target from the only time I shot it (30 feet, indoor range). I hadn't adjusted the sights from the way they came, so as you can see I was hitting low. That, and my bad shooting of course. I was using Speer 325 grain semi jacketed lead nose ammo:

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
...And don't be fooled by anyone who says that 480 Ruger is a soft recoiling large bore -- because it is certainly not. Firing either the Alaskan or full size 480, feels like getting whacked hard in the palm by a hammer...
I couldn't agree more. Some reports make it seem like it's only a little more than a .44. I almost didn't purchase from fear that it wouldn't differ enough from my .44 SRH. If recoil alone were the only indication, i can tell you there's a big difference.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I was hoping to hear ammo x was horrible, but ammo y was great. I have only fired 20 rounds so far of Hornady 325 gr HP/XTP. The best I could do was a 4" group at 25'. I am not sure this is minute of bear accuracy. I consider myself a decent shot. I grabbed another pistol the same shooting session ( a sp101 .357) put 3 rounds in a group under an inch. All shooting was done off hand. The trigger is rough. I am already working on that. Lots of burrs and rough edges.

I don't think the recoil is bad with these loads. That being said, I was wearing mechanics gloves and holding much tighter than I normally would with my 44 mag. 20 rounds at a time is enough for me with a slight bruise in the web of my hand. One hand shooting is not hard, but not very practical. I look forward to hand loading much heavier weight hard cast lead.

On the bright side- if I miss the bear I think the muzzle blast will roll him and probably singe his eye brows!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts