Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue with my RAR in 30-06, and it is driving me crazy. Please, somebody help.

I was extremely happy with the rifle out of the box, I was shooting sub-MOA groups, life was good. The trigger was breaking at about 4.5 lbs out of the box, a little more than I like, so I decided to use the user adjustable feature. There I encountered my first issue. Despite the claim that it was adjustable from 3-5 lbs, I could only get the trigger down to 3.75 lbs. I was frusterated, but it was still pretty nice. I put the stock back on, and took it to the range. To my dismay, the rifle started shooting all over the place. As in, 8+ inch groups at 100 yards. I couldn't belive it! Frustrated, I pulled the stock off and put it back on again. No improvement. Does anyone here have any idea what could have caused this problem, and how to fix it?

Mike

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I don't see how merely adjusting the trigger would have caused such inaccuracies. Did you put the stock back on wrong or damage it somehow, where it's not totally in line with the barrel? Try take it off and putting it back on to make sure it's right.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Agree with the 2 previous posts; that should bring it back to norm. By chance, did you change anything with the optics or ammo???

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
It would appear that if it was shooting sub MOA out of the box and is now shooting 8 MOA groups, the problem lies within the gunsmith. Something has to be in a bad bind or severely over tightened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ChrisLCR:
I don't think I put the stock on wrong, or damaged it. I checked with a piece of paper, and the barrel is still free-floated and not touching the stock. The first thing I did was pull the stock off and put it back on again.

@Ruger41:
It could be the torque on the screws, as I do not have a torque wrench. I'm debating dropping the $50, or just taking it to a gunsmith.

Also, what is with the rank underneith my name? I'm in the Army, not the Marines, and I'm a Seargent, not a Private!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I broke down and bought the FAT Wrench. Yeah, those bolts were way too tight. I will take it to the range next weekend, hopefully this fixes the issue. Thank you all for responses.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I broke down and bought the FAT Wrench. Yeah, those bolts were way too tight. I will take it to the range next weekend, hopefully this fixes the issue. Thank you all for responses.
Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think if I had bought a rifle that shot sub-MOA right out of the box, I wouldn't have messed with it. What do you want it to do? Shoot the balls off a gnat?

·
Registered
245 Posts
It would be hard to mess up tightening the screws in their v-block system unless one of the v-blocks is canted or something.
I do wonder about the scope, I have had them go haywire before, but guessing on the internet without looking at the gun, well there are many variables. Have you tried a different scope?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have pretty much the opposite experience. I bought a brand new RAR in .30-06. Saved up my money for a Burris scope and new rings (all of these are tight). Once the weather finally broke took it to the range and got it on paper at 25 yds. It "groups" about 5 MOA at 100 yds. It could even be 8 MOA, hard to tell with that much spread. Got permission to send it in and has been two weeks, they haven't even looked at it yet. I loved Ruger firearms at one time.

·
Registered
484 Posts
We have a couple of Americans and noticed that when shooting off the bench the front bag should be closer to the action rather than more forward. It made all the difference.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
The FAT Wrench is a worthy purchase for anyone that owns a rifle, they come in handy with handguns also. Once you get one you'll be amazed how badly you have been over-torquing.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yep, I wouldn't be without my FAT Wrench. It's not the most expensive torque wrench on the market, but it will get you in the ball park.:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would like to know what the outcome was? Did the correct torque fix the issue? What is the recommended torque for the action screws on a RAR??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to take the stock off any of my bolt action rifles. As stated by many , more than likely the problem is more than likely torque related. You really don't have to have a torque wrench or screw driver. Start low and go up a quarter turn shooting as you go until groups get tight. Remember how much that was, and voila. Just my humble opinion, works for me and I often get better groups than with factory torque. This is the age of litigation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts