Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I have an SR9. Accuracy is an issue for me. I know the further the target the harder it is to hit it. I go to 2 ranges. One indoors which has targets that go to 20-25ft I can hit without issue. But at 25 yds outdoors I am way way off target. I know to figure in recoil, stance, grip, trigger pull, and aim. It may just be me but are pistols good for target shooting at 25ft or less? Mind you I'm still a new shooter and do better at rifle since rifles are mostly shoot off a bench and once scoped in can shoot same spot all day long at 25 yards +.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You can't make any accuracy assumptions by comparing the accuracy of bench-shooting a rifle to free-hand shooting a pistol. It wouldn't matter what pistol you are comparing. If you really want to compare accuracy - bench shoot your SR9 against another comparable pistol. If you do that, I'm sure you'll find that the SR9 is as accurate as most other pistols of its type.

Some shooters are more than capable of shooting a 4-inch barreled pistol 25 yards and some are not. Obviously short barreled, hand held pistols are made for close in work and are harder to get a steady, un-wavering trigger pull with.

Practice at distances where you can really clean up your mechanics before launching rounds down range at longer distances. And remember - an inch off at 25 feet will be several inches, or more at 25 yards.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Hi Tiger, your SR9 is inherently accurate. Put it in a vise and shoot it at targets and it will shoot tight groups.

The big question is how well do you shoot it. If you shoot different guns you will find that you tend to be able to shoot some better than others. This can have to do with the trigger, the grip, the shape and balance of the weapon, lots and lots of factors.

If you need further convincing, go to YouTube and watch a video by Hickok45 entitled "Accuracy."

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grandpabear-I am not doubting it is me since it is. I just need to practice more and figure what I am doing wrong. I have dry fired and know that I don't trigger jerk. I feel that my grip is correct where I do the standard clamshell style. My sight picture is where I do focus on the front sight and am directly at the center of target. My stance is the isosceles type arms straight out and locked and my trigger pull I do nice and slow till trigger breaks. Maybe there are minute mistakes I am making but I guess it all comes down to practice and patience.

Linejudgemick- I didn't want to sound like I am comparing the pistol to the rifle accuracy wise. I know it takes ALOT more practice to shoot a pistol since more human mechanics are involved. I have no doubts to the pistol's accuracy and yes I know the further the target the more adjustment is needed in aim.

OK to ALL- I know it all boils down to ONE thing........PRACTICE!

That being said, would you all think practicing on a SR22 will condition me to fire better on my SR9?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I too wonder about the accuracy of both the SR9c and SR40c, I have both. I can shoot a much tighter group with my LC9 with its long trigger pull than I can with the 9c or 40c. I keep looking for someone in my area to shoot them both just to see if it's me or the gun.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time and time again I see that people say it is more of the shooter than the gun which I do believe. So for you Gunlover and me we need to just practice and get comfortable with the guns we have and shoot till we hit our intended targets.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Time and time again I see that people say it is more of the shooter than the gun which I do believe. So for you Gunlover and me we need to just practice and get comfortable with the guns we have and shoot till we hit our intended targets.
It most likely is me. But it's funny how some guns just seem to be better shooters, even without alot of practice. When I get frustated with the 9c or 40c I pickup my SR1911 or GP100 and all is right in the world.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Tiger, you just keep on shootin. It will get better. I am an avid archer and when someone asks me about shooting longer ranges I tell them to start up close, when you can consistently shoot good groups then move back. If you extend your range to soon you will develop bad habits and form. I'm by no means an expert or an exellent shot and believe that it's easier said than done. JMO

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tiger, you just keep on shootin. It will get better. I am an avid archer and when someone asks me about shooting longer ranges I tell them to start up close, when you can consistently shoot good groups then move back. If you extend your range to soon you will develop bad habits and form. I'm by no means an expert or an exellent shot and believe that it's easier said than done. JMO
grandpabear I agree with you. I will just keep on practicing close range. Then work my way up. Kinda hard though since the range I go to has the 25 yard as the closest pistol target. Oh and one more thing..............your Youtube videos are quite informative and entertaining. :)

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
grandpabear I agree with you. I will just keep on practicing close range. Then work my way up. Kinda hard though since the range I go to has the 25 yard as the closest pistol target. Oh and one more thing..............your Youtube videos are quite informative and entertaining. :)
As much as I'd like to take the credit, they aren't mine. The best to ya.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Linejudgemick- I didn't want to sound like I am comparing the pistol to the rifle accuracy wise. I know it takes ALOT more practice to shoot a pistol since more human mechanics are involved. I have no doubts to the pistol's accuracy and yes I know the further the target the more adjustment is needed in aim.

OK to ALL- I know it all boils down to ONE thing........PRACTICE!

That being said, would you all think practicing on a SR22 will condition me to fire better on my SR9?
I have an SR40C, it is accurate for me, but I normally shoot 30 to 60 feet with it. I also have an SR22P and feel it's very accurate too. I can usually hit a pop can with it in two or three tries at 25 yards.

Do I think it helps me with the SR40C? I'm not sure - the old adage practice makes perfect applies. You can practice trigger control, breathing, grip and a lot of other things. In the end though, they are different. Different weight, grip angles, trigger release points, etc. I think it will help combined with ongoing practice with the SR9.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Try shooting rifles off the bench and without a scope. You'll see changes in accuracy very soon. To compare being acurate with a benched and scoped rifle to a held handgun isn't justifiable. I had to qualify with M-16s on a 100 yard range and at times out to 500 yards without a scope. We didn't keep 1" groups but we weren't shooting for points and scopes weren't allowed or available. With our .38s we had to qualify on a 25 yard range with either hand, around barriers and under pressure.

It is probably that you might be short guessing yourself with the pistol, automatically expecting to be as accurate. Consider that the outdoor range is 3 times the distance in an uncontroled environment with distractions. DO more shooting at the longer range more often. Like you said you are new to this and practice will help. I first fired a pistol back in 1971 when I went into the A.F. Security Police and I was all over the target at that distance. As time went on I improved and you will too. DOn't be impatient, it takes time and effort.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts