Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of a difference is there between the SR9 and SR9c in terms of accuracy? Not practical accuracy partly determined by individual shooter, sight radius, etc. Rather, assume both models were put in vises (ransom rest?). The SR9 has a 4" barrel, the SR9c has a 3.5" barrel.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Hickock45 seems to like the SR9c....

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think the barrel that you get would have to do more with it than anything. Not the length. My sr9c shot shotgun patterns until I tried a little fatter cast bullets in it. With .357-.358” bullets, it is very accurate.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
If you tested a number of each of them it’s likely gonna be a tie. Both will have the same inherent accuracy. Practical accuracy may differ.

·
Registered
139 Posts
To the average shooter, a 0.5 inch difference in barrel length will not be much if any difference. Ammo and shooter training wil have more of an effect on the accuracy.

I am fine with the way my SR9c shoots and I was a competitive rifle shooter in my youth.

K

·
Registered
30 Posts
sr9 vs. sr9c accuracy

I have both models and the sr40 and sr40c. There isn't hardly any difference in putting rounds where you want them in any of mine. I'm talking out to 25 yards, I rarely shoot them at targets at longer ranges.

·
Registered
153 Posts
ditto1958 is spot on. If shot from a vice I imagine it would probably make little difference on the compact vs the full size model - if any.

Of course you won't be shooting from a ransom rest very often I imagine so it would be good to consider the 'real world' shootability of it, particularly if you're considering a compact pistol.

Smaller pistols are generally more difficult to shoot, especially in rapid fire. Less weight to soak up recoil. Smaller sight radius. Smaller grips to spread the recoil across more of your hand, etc. You often lose the ability to get a pinky on the pistol, which for some people makes a big difference (although those with very good grip strength might not need that extra finger as much).

While I can't speak on the SR9 series specifically, I can relate this experience with a pistol that isn't all that different, the Walther P99.

The fullsize is 4 inches. The compact is 3.5 inches. The P99C compact model does have an optional adapter that allows you to give the pistol a grip dimension equal to the fullsize when used with a fullsize magazine. In effect the pistols are IDENTICAL, except you lose 0.5 inches of barrel.

In the 3.5in P99C fullsize adapter configuration I shoot the P99C just as well as the P99 4inch (so far as I can tell). However if I switch to a magazine with only the pinky extension or especially the flat base plate I do find a noted decrease in accuracy, particularly with my offhand.

With that said... I love my compacts. With practice you can definitely shoot them proficiently and the larger doublestack compacts like the SR9c are still very shoot-able overall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Out of the box, I wasn't happy with the accuracy of my SR9c, but I upgraded the sights and had it bore sighted by the gun smith. I'm much happier with it now. A little practice also helped. (I also worked on my grip).

I also upgraded the trigger, but not yet tried it. I need to get to the range soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts