Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read about the officers chasing a robber and shooting 85 times -- missing all but once. There is no mention of at what distance they were at.

I thought (past tense) that I was a reasonable shot. But as I read here and other forums, gun reviews, magazine articles there seem to be many that can shoot a 2-3" shot group at 25 yards (75 feet) consistently. Is this true or a stretch? Is someone using a different tape measure than I may be?

25 yards is a long ways for a 9MM or bigger pistol for 2-3" groups open sights -- isn't it?

No more fish stories. :roll:

·
Banned
650 Posts
Everyone gets lucky sometimes. For me shooting a Glock 19 at 25 yards I can keep all 15 shots in a 6" circle. What is really annoying is out of 15 shots 5 or 6 shots will be surrounding the bullseye. I am sure someone can shoot 2 or 3 inch groups with a Glock at 25 yards but I have never seen that guy fire a weapon. I attend a lot of matches.

In this area we have a lot of shooters that are looking for national championship points show up. It is about a 6 hour drive to anywhere on the east cost from here and rooms/food are cheap. So if they play their cards right a shooter in this area can shoot 2 or sometimes 3 sanctioned matches over a weekend. I still haven't seem anyone who can shoot 2 or 3 inch groups at 25 yards. If these magazine writers and internet hotshots were that good they would have showed up around here. This is the fastest way to get invited to those invitational matches that pay big bucks.

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
I gets a lot tougher when someone is shooting back at you.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I just went thru our dept's qualification and I hit the 50 yard target human size silhouette 18 out of 18, not a small grouping of 2'3" but I hit the target everytime.

I'm way more worried about the lead they can't find in the 84 shot shootout. Those bullets went somewhere, and thats scary.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was not referring to those lucky shots. I've had them too. My son put out a target pie plate held on a board with duct tape in a cross pattern. At 25 yards I popped 1 shot and hit right in the middle of the cross standing unsupported.

I was thinking about those who claim they put 4-5 shots in a 3-4" circle at 25 yards when they only took 4-5 shots.

Example: A recent American Rifleman tests the Sig P320. I don't recall the exact numbers but they indicate 3-4" groupings at 25 yards.

What positions are typically used for test shots?
- Standing?
- Sitting with free arms?
- Sitting with sandbags?

I also know nothing destroys accuracy like a witness. :)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
A magazine accuracy claim, could even be results from a Ransom Rest. Just because they claim some sort of accuracy, doesn't mean the author fired it himself

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can't stand very long because of my leg.

Sitting and holding the gun with 2 hands, I can consistently shoot 3,4 inch groups with 2 guns. My SR9C and my Tisas 1911 .45

But that is 40-50 feet. All the others have a bigger spread at that distance. .In all the times I have been at the ranges, I have never seen anyone do that well at 75 with any handguns.

I truly believe there are great shooters (Hickock45 i think his name is?) and then there are some that I think take a little umm license lets say in approximating their accuracy.

Doc

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Of course there are people out there that are excellent shooters.

Most magazines doing testing of firearms have set criteria when testing accuracy. American Rifleman typically requires the use of a Ransom Rest when ever possible. If one is not available they will use bags or some other type of rest and note that fact on the accuracy chart.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I was law enforcement certified for many years. I have seen officers that were excellent shots. Most are average or less and a few are horrible. I have seen one flinching so bad he was shooting the sidewalk between his feet. Other shooters at qualification refused to go to the line with him. Officers like that should not be armed except with a baseball bat. These days with reliance on large magazines and rapid fire it is no surprise that so many are misses.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I shot about 3.5" today with a 44 mag vaquero 4 5/8 barrel, although about 4" left and 3" low standing 2 handed at 25. I have shot my bisley 44 at a little over 2" @25. Each time nothing shot back at me :) It can be done but not quickly and I cant always repeat it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts