Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am considering one too which is the Accustrut brand. From what I have read, the longer one is the way to go for besr results which has two clamping points. The one I was considering was from Accustrut. There are other brands as well. Tagged for interest if some has used the Accuracy Systems brand as you are thinking about.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am considering one too which is the Accustrut brand. From what I have read, the longer one is the way to go for besr results which has two clamping points. The one I was considering was from Accustrut. There are other brands as well. Tagged for interest if some has used the Accuracy Systems brand as you are thinking about.

I see there are a few brands. The Accuracy Systems appears to be the cleanest looking device out of all of them. Accuracy System is far superior to the others on the market based on the balancer being mounted into a gas adjustable gas block, which eliminate the double clamp system other manufacturers have. Also it is made from 7075 Alloy which is very strong and much better than Aluminum or steel.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, they make one that has the gas block and one that don't. The one I was looking at did not have the gas block that is adjustable. I hope some have experience with both types and brands. Accustrut vs Accuracy Systems.

·
Super Moderator
4,837 Posts
What serial number range is your mini? Of course every rifle is different, but you get better results with the accuracy struts with the pencil barrels vs the “heavier” barrels. What kind of accuracy are you getting out of your mini right now and what ammo are you using?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I see there are a few brands. The Accuracy Systems appears to be the cleanest looking device out of all of them. Accuracy System is far superior to the others on the market based on the balancer being mounted into a gas adjustable gas block, which eliminate the double clamp system other manufacturers have. Also it is made from 7075 Alloy which is very strong and much better than Aluminum or steel.
An alloy such as 7075 is aluminum combined with other metals.............

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a 583 ranch rifle similar to the one pictured in this post. This past winter I installed the Accuracy Systems Stabilizer, along with a smaller gas bushig, & did a lot of other improvements(hopefully). The stabilizer is well made, went on good(as per their instructions), & I was well satisfied in the match to my stainless steel barrel. My rifle is scoped, & with some other improvements I made, the scope, picatinny rail, & rings had to come off to get the bolt out. I have only fired the rifle 6 times for function, & have to get back sighted in before I will tell if it helped accuracy. It shot very good prior, so I'm expecting just as good, or better with the stabilizer. On newer model rifles with the tapered barrel, it may or may not help with accuracy, but at the least it helps dispense heat, & looks good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, they make one that has the gas block and one that don't. The one I was looking at did not have the gas block that is adjustable. I hope some have experience with both types and brands. Accustrut vs Accuracy Systems.

I watched the Youtube vide
I had the Accuracy Systems unit on my 584 series Mini-14 and it improved my accuracy and added a great M14 look.
Good to know. Thanks! I will probably kick down for the gas adjustable Accuracy Systems harmonic balancers for both my Mini 14 and 30. My Mini 14 is an early 188 serial number. The 30 has a 582 number. Do yours have the adjustable gas block? I am wondering if it is necessary to have the adjustable?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 583 ranch rifle similar to the one pictured in this post. This past winter I installed the Accuracy Systems Stabilizer, along with a smaller gas bushig, & did a lot of other improvements(hopefully). The stabilizer is well made, went on good(as per their instructions), & I was well satisfied in the match to my stainless steel barrel. My rifle is scoped, & with some other improvements I made, the scope, picatinny rail, & rings had to come off to get the bolt out. I have only fired the rifle 6 times for function, & have to get back sighted in before I will tell if it helped accuracy. It shot very good prior, so I'm expecting just as good, or better with the stabilizer. On newer model rifles with the tapered barrel, it may or may not help with accuracy, but at the least it helps dispense heat, & looks good.
Does your stabilizer have the adjustable gas block?

·
Exalted One
1,881 Posts
The Accustrut is the ORIGINAL product for this and is a quality product. I have one because I believe in rewarding the inventor of this whole concept, rather than knock-offs. He (kkina on perfect union) keeps up with continuous improvements and is honest about expectations. For a thin-barreled Mini-14, it can offer great improvements; for the newer tapered-barreled Mini-14, a little less so and he'll tell you. As with the ASI, there are a number of models to choose from.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I didn't use the one with the adjustable gas block because to be honest, the adjustment on that appeared to be a pain in the ass, plus, I just didn't need it. A .50 size bushing does the job for me. I'm sure the Accustrut will do as good a job as the Accuracy Systems strut, for what it was made to do, it was just personal preference. I thought the Accuracy Systems strut was a cleaner look.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just ordered the Accuracy Systems M1A Style stabilizer with adjustable gas block. Accuracy Systems has been in business for decades and they are an authorized Ruger dealer and have a long history with Sturm Ruger. I see their stabilizer as a far superior design to all the others on the market. I like the option of the adjustable gas block because there are so many different ammo loads out there and it can help reduce the wear and tear on the rifle. The AS just appears to be a higher quality unit. They do a lot of high end custom work at their machine shop as well. Talked to them on the phone today.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I put an original Accustrut on my 195 series blued, synthetic stocked Mini. Installed easily, looked great. BUT…with my open sighted Mini, the gain in accuracy was really not determinable, and it soon started making my former slim, handy, rifle starting to feel somewhat bulky, and for no real reason. I took it off and have no regrets. Who knows, I may put it back on again someday, and try to really gauge the accuracy improvement, if any.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I put an original Accustrut on my 195 series blued, synthetic stocked Mini. Installed easily, looked great. BUT…with my open sighted Mini, the gain in accuracy was really not determinable, and it soon started making my former slim, handy, rifle starting to feel somewhat bulky, and for no real reason. I took it off and have no regrets. Who knows, I may put it back on again someday, and try to really gauge the accuracy improvement, if any.
My rifle is a 188 series. Non tapered barrel. Hoping this Accuracy Systems unit will calm down the barrel whip!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I installed the Accuracy Systems stabilizer today. Had to put the stock Ruger bushing on my lathe and turn it down just a bit for the perfect fit. This is the stabilizer with the adjustable gas block. The adjustable gas block is a must have! I put a few 5.56 rounds through the rifle and got the gas setting tuned perfectly. I am diggin the M-14 look! I highly recommend the Accuracy Systems Stabilizer. I can only shoot out to 50 yards on my property, but I noticed the rifle is shooting more accurately. Next week I will go to the range and do the 100 yard dash!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Installed it today. The thing is Tits!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts