Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I gave in and purchased a Ruger 77/22Mag VBZ w/laminated stock and the target gray matte barrel. I was rather disappointed with it's accuracy with the normal .22 mag ammo available at the time.
Knowing how great CCI Mini Mags shot in my LR's I naturally went with maxi mags in the 77/22 MAG. Unfortunately this gun wouldn't group in a grapefruit at 100yds with very good but normal, plain jane ammo.
Just terrible!
It was so bad it was sentenced to the safe for bad behavior. About a year later a friend who had the same gun and experiences with the same ammos including Win 40 grn mags alerted me to a new (at the time) Mag round. It was a Federal Mag with a Sierra 30grn bullet called Federal Premium.
Since I had nothing to lose but the price of a box of ammo I tried it.
Holy schnikys! The stuff was amazing..... Almost unbelievable differences were achieved.
@100yds

Needless to say it bacame my fodder of choice. Then as luck would have it Federal/Blount Inc spun off to ATK. Suddenly my favorite ammo was history.
Thankfully Federal is making a similar round with a TNT bullet. I've yet to try it.
CCI which is the same company under ATK is now making the CCI V-MAX which I've not tried yet as well.
Here's the line up...all 30gr

These ammo prices have doubled since my first box of Fed Premium Sierras were purchased in 1997.
The current CCI V-MAX is up beyond double.

Has anyone here had experiences good or bad with this round from a 77/22 or a CZ?
They look sinister but how do they perform in terms of accuracy rather than "splodability"? At $10.50-$12.50 a throw I'd like a little guidance! I realize I'll need to try them in my gun but I'm just looking for some preliminary reviews.

Thanks,
SD

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have limited experience with the .22 mag and that was mainly in a t/c contender. Never had much luck with the cci or winchester. What did shoot excellent groups for me was the pmc "predator" 40 gr jacketed sp(more like a flat point). I used this round in competition and (depending on personal likes of the gun)would not hesitate to try them again. It also happened to be about the cheapest .22 mag ammo i could get my hands on at the time and the fact that it was jacketed instead of a wash like the cci was a big plus. Midway USA has it for $7.99/box. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=553615&t=11082005

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don’t have the Ruger but I do have a Savage 93FV heavy barrel that I am putting together for a Southern Michigan coyote rifle.

The only ammo I have used in it so far is the CCI V-Max, of pretty much everything they make. I have some Remington 33 gr accutip-Vs that I haven’t tried yet, but the CCI V-Max that has worked the best in the Savage so far is the 38 gr HPs.

After I got the scope zeroed, finally, I fired 25 rounds just for the sheer pleasure of shooting the new rifle, and I put 25 rounds into an area about the size of a tennis ball from 100 yards. That was with an assortment of several different types and weights of ammo. The best results I had on the outing was definitely with the 38 gr V-Max where I was getting less than MOA. I was pleased with that.

The only picture I have is of the 93FV and none of the ammo. I was trying to show the heavy barrel.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Deputy, I see those at Midway and will give them a try. Who knows maybe I'll find an ammo which meets my needs and is cost effective too.:)
Thanks bunzo, Nice lookin' rifle! I know the 93V's a great shooter. Good to here about the V-Max. I misspoke when describing them as 30gr apparently they're 38.
I'm really looking for accuracy as per my target pic so hopefully I can get close to your rsults. I'm shooting sqweaks, rockchucks and with any luck song dogs!I'm concerned with clean kills/accuracy with the mag. For longer shots, say beyond 125 yds I use K77 MII .22-250 w 55gr Nosler BT which "blowdsumup reeeeal gooooood!"[}:)]

SD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts