Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are they difficult to make them shoot. i have heard different things about how accurate they are (or are not). can you expect 1" groups from the gun with its preferred factory ammo? and with handloading, are 3/4 or 1/2 inch groups likely? just trying to get a feel for how accurate they can be, i don't own one but like the looks and style of them. also, what are the steps to accurize them? do you have to do something with the fore-end because the barrels aren't free-floated?
thanks,
kstockfo

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a number of them. I'm also a handloader. I've never had to do anything to any of mine except find the 'sweet' load to keep them 1"(5 shot groups) or under. That includes a couple of 'big bores' too!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have had a couple that needed the forearm bedded to shoot really well, but I think most shoot really well as is now. Frank

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 10 or 12 over the years from .243 to .405. I have only had one a 6mm that i couldn't get to shoot 1 MOA or better. A .243 and .270 shot less thya 1/2 MOA. Most of them required floating the barrel or rebeding. And most required shooting at least 100 rds. before serious load developement.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here a pic of a gun I built in 32-40 to shoot cast bullets only.
this target is shot for score not group..
I've shot lots of 250 in practice.. 10rds at a 100yds
it will shoot 5 rds at 1/4 on a calm day. forarm is free floated
because of palmrest will change barrel vib if it on or off

·
Registered
7 Posts
Between my brother, my dad, and I we own 7 No.1s. They are one of the best shooting rifles made, as long as you know how to reload for them. None of ours have any smithing done to them, the only thing we have done is tinker with the load and tune it to the gun. The two best shooting No.1s we have are probably my brothers 25-06 which will put them all in the same hole (literally) almost every time at 100yds, and my 300 Win Mag. that consistently shoots 3/8" or better groups at 100yds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've only got one #1, its a .300 win mag and it shoots to around 1moa if I do my part or a good shooter gets behind it.

·
Banned
640 Posts
I think that many of the accuracy problems with the #1 boils down to caliber and barrel harmonics.

My #1, out of the box (22-250) was terrible. Ultimately, I had to free float the barrel, then develop a load to find the nodes on harmonics. It tool a long time, but in the end I’m down to 3/4" moa at 100 yards.

So my loads in my 22-250 will not necessarily work in yours because of barrel harmonics.

Granted, I have a friend here who has a #1 in 45-70. Ready for the world out of the box.

You never know.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey slickyboyboo, I getting ready to develop a load for my new .25-06. Any advice on handloads. Should I start with powder - bullet combinations or bullet seating depths?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Scubansky, My pet load for the 25-06 for years has been 52.3 g H4831, nosler 120 Partition with standard lg rifle primers.
In the #1 I think you will find that bullet seating depth is EVERYTHING!
I put together a 6.5 x 300 Weath several years ago and got it to shoot 1-1 1/4 groups with several powders but did not feel this was up to this rifle's capabilities. I adjusted the powder charges etc to no avail. Then I started playing w/ the seating depths and it all came together. This #1 will ONLY shoot up to it's potential with bullets seated to IT'S preferred length. I've found this to be the case w/ my 218 Bee, 7x 57 and 30-06 also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My #1's and #3 all like handloads with medium weight for caliber bullets, such as 139-140 grain 7mm or 165 grain .308, loaded to near max velocity with the bullets seated just off the rifling. They'll shoot 1" or less at 100 yards, with no fore end work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
kstock,

My 25-05 loves 100 grain nosler ballistic tips over 52.5 grains of H4831sc. Just a little under 1/2" groups when I do my part. This is for a 1V.

I have found that when shooting off a front rest, the rifles seem to shoot better when the rest is as close to if not under the action. This may just be me... but it works.

Also have a 1B in 6mm Rem and a 1S in 45-70. The 6mm will shoot sub-moa and the 45-70 continues to hover around moa.

I haven't done any work to any of them... but I bought them all used and really don't know the history on them. None of the fore-ends have been bedded from my inspection.

S/F

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
For every Number One owner that says they are accurate there are at least as many more that have found they aren't. Its a two piece stock with a heavy hammer fall and long lock time. Bolt guns start out without those handicaps. No doubt No. 1s can be tweaked to shoot accurately with an aftermarket barrel and other modifications and some will be hummers right out of the box. I would not buy one anticipating you're going to luck into one of those "hummers".

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had my Ruger No. 1 in .270 for 10 years before I could get it to shoot consistent groups. I ended up installing the Hicks Accurizer and it worked very well. Now I'm much more confident hunting with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
SS .22-250 Model 1

It took about 500 shots and a set David Tubbs bullets to smooth out the rough spots in the rifling.
Now, it will outshoot my partner's Cooper 24 in the same caliber.
I have a really nice piece of glass on the rifle.
Acutally the scope cost more.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Not sure what a Cooper 24 is. Do you mean 54? If you have a factory barreled No1 that outshoots a Cooper, your buddy should send the Cooper back...........something is wrong with it

·
Registered
673 Posts
Any Rifle Can Be Improved

There is hardly any rifle out there that cannot be improved by careful gunsmithing be someone who knows what he is doing. I just got my No 1A in 222 Remington back from Regan Nooneman yesterday evening. With a Varmint stock and a Shilen match barrel, Regan converted it into a 1V. He also bedded the forearm to the action and gave it a tight chamber that matches the chamber of my bolt action BR rifle in the same cartridge.

While I do not expect competition level accuracy from a Ruger No. 1, I do expect excellence. All I ask of the No. 1 is 1/2 MOA at 100 and 200 yards. Doesn't seem like too much to ask, my old 1V in 220 Swift gave me that and better.

This evening, I will load up a few rounds to take with the Ruger to the range tomorrow, where I will break in the new barrel and sight in the scope. I will post a few pictures when I get back from the range, with a report on how it shoots. To give the Ruger a fair chance, I mounted a Weaver XR T-36 to it. Like the man says," you can't hit what you can't see."

·
Registered
73 Posts
My "go to" load for 257 Roberts uses H4895 and a Sierra 87gr. bullet. Not the highest performance load but good to see what the accuracy potential is. Loaded up a batch for the #1B and made an error. Did not check the length of the throat. This load could be covered up be the average screen door at one hundred yards. Later loaded some more rounds using 100gr. Sierra bullets seated out. All the problems went away. The rifle is a good shooter if and only if the ammunition is appropriate. My feeling are on my rifles that after reloads won't work then it may be time to consider modifying. This long throat excluded, in my experience, the dual purpose aspect of this round. My current project is to get my #1A running with lead bullets-so far making progress.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
For every Number One owner that says they are accurate there are at least as many more that have found they aren't. Its a two piece stock with a heavy hammer fall and long lock time. Bolt guns start out without those handicaps. No doubt No. 1s can be tweaked to shoot accurately with an aftermarket barrel and other modifications and some will be hummers right out of the box. I would not buy one anticipating you're going to luck into one of those "hummers".

It seems that most of those that complain of poor accuracy in the No.1 never owned one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts