Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a order from Titan Reloading that i wanted to fatten up for the shipping
and i had been want to try a NLG WC (no lube groove wadcutter) in .38/.357
and as Titan is a stocking dealer for Acme Bullet Co. i ordered 100 to try the concept
was i ever surprised
i knew they shipped in wooden boxes, but for just 100 ?! :-D
the alloy is a bit hard for my taste, but im doing some test loads for others
and i may have a Lee tool degrooved
or have Al at NOE make me up a 4 or 5 holer like this bullet

·
Registered
49 Posts
I met the owners of Acme Bullet at Camp Perry pistol matches this summer. I was very impressed with the knowledge they have about bullets. I liked the idea of no grease grooves in their coatedd bullets. I ended up buying 115 and 124 gr in 9 mm, 158 gr in 38 special/.357 magnum and 230 gr in 45 ACP. They gave me a 100 count box of 200 gr in 45 Colt to try. I have not had a chance to try them all yet but am very happy with the ones that I did load and shoot. Great accuracy so far. I think they have my bullet business from now on. The wooden boxes are pretty neat too. :) The 500 count boxes are nice sized.

·
Registered
186 Posts
now those are too damn purdy to shoot , they should be used for display purposes only.

now if they were ugly , i wouldn't mind shooting them but i'll stick with my homely naked hard cast rounds, they don't look that purdy but they get the job done.

have fun shooting those, and keep the box , it will come in handy for other carp to stuff in it when it's empty

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Very interested in your results. Let everybody know what you find.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I went through a box of 100 already and liked these enough to buy 500 more. I shoot them indoors because they don't create smoke.
A health dose of Universal in 38 spcl cases equals an accurate load.
BTW the boxes don't always arrive intact but the bullets are sealed in heavy plastic bags and do not spill out.
The three times I received an order from them there was also a box of candy included. The wife and grandkids benefited from that.
Acme reminds of a company where the people have fun at work.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
They are right in town here and I had no idea they were here. Think I might call em and see if I can drop by for a visit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So far I have had very good results with these bullets mainly in my SR9c although i have tried a few in my 357 Blackhawk. The coated bullets work great and I am sure i will come up with a use for the boxes someday.

·
Registered
760 Posts
My coworkers have been experimenting with powder coating their cast bullets. Harbor Freight sells the powder fairly reasonably and they are doing with with Black Plastic Air Soft BBs and a #5 Plastic container and then baking them in a small countertop oven. Seems to be more trouble doing it that way, but they do look pretty darn good. Personally I believe spraying PowerCoating is the way to go if you want to do something like this, but then you have to worry about overspray I guess.

I'm still old school I guess, give me a lube groove and my RCBS LubeAMatic and I'm happy.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
PCing really isn't much more trouble (or messy) than some lubersizers and a lot less messy than pan lubing. Once you're set up a "spray booth" made out of a suitable sized cardboard box works and electrostatic spraying is low pressure so there is not a lot of overspray. I've sprayed and dry tumbled PC bullets and while both work well, some bullet styles work better with one or the other. My large handgun bullets tumble well, but my 30 cal. rifle bullets are a bit trickier and work best set in a "jig" and sprayed. Both "cook" the same and are another fun aspect of do-it-yerself boolits...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts