Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acorn shortage leads to rise in deer taken in Mo. firearms season

Missouri hunters killed more than 204,000 deer during this month's 11-day firearms deer hunt.

The Missouri Department of Conservation reported the deer harvest, which ran from Nov. 10 through Nov. 20, was strong in the southern part of the state but lower than normal in the north. Three people were killed in firearm-hunting incidents, and five people were injured

Southern Missouri is heavily forested, so acorns are a large part of deer diets in the fall and winter. When acorns are scarce, deer are forced to move around more and they gather near food sources, making them easier for hunters to find.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That hasn't been my experience of late. No acorn crop to speak of this year, apple and cherry were dismal also. The deer just moved away from my home.

·
Administrator
23,044 Posts
I had no acorns here either and deer were eating winter browse in November. The only opportunity I had during bow season was bambi's kid sister and I passed. I got a decent doe during muzzleloader and had another opportunity but passed as it was a warm day and the deer was headed into a swampy area so I may not have found it in time to salvage the meat. I passed the shot. That was it. The rut was so late that I had put away my guns and was in the packing the camper mode. I saw 3 does being chased by a 1 1/2 year old buck up past the house and just watched them go.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
We had more acorns this year than the previous 22 years we have been on this property. Larger too, some the size of walnuts and when the hit the ground it sounded like it was raining rocks.

I don't hunt but always enjoyed the deer that would wonder to the back yard and eat some of the corn we feed to the squirrels, but this year we have only seen or heard a few deer.

I don't know what hunting season was like for this area.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Cherries and apples didn't produce well due to the early heat wave last Spring...But the three old Persimmon Trees outdid their ususal crop..tons of fruit dropping all during November brought a large group of deer in just time time for shooting season.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In texas county mo red and black oak acorn production was good but white oaks very scarce. I think we was the second highest harvest in state. Lots of deer here

208 Posts
Missouri hunters killed more than 204,000 deer during this month's 11-day firearms deer hunt.
Don't know what I'd do if I only had 2 weeks to hunt.:(
North Carolina Gun Season Oct 13th - Jan 1st I love calling North Carolina home.:)
No shortage of acorns here.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Don't know what I'd do if I only had 2 weeks to hunt.:(
North Carolina Gun Season Oct 13th - Jan 1st I love calling North Carolina home.:)
No shortage of acorns here.
After the 11 day rifle season is over an 11 day doe only season starts and then Dec. 15 an 11 day Alternative season starts where you can only use a Muzzle loader, Bow & Arrow, Crossbow, or Centerfire Pistol. So there's plenty of opportunity to harvest a deer here in Missouri.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Last month did a few days on the Appalachian Trail. The acorn crop was heavier than normal. A few places were like walking on marbles. Saw lots of Turkey and Deer sign.

208 Posts
After the 11 day rifle season is over an 11 day doe only season starts and then Dec. 15 an 11 day Alternative season starts where you can only use a Muzzle loader, Bow & Arrow, Crossbow, or Centerfire Pistol. So there's plenty of opportunity to harvest a deer here in Missouri.
Almost like hunting with your hands tied. Here in NC Bow season started Sept 8th Muzzleloader Sept 29th and Gun Oct 13th your choice till Jan 1st when deer season ends for all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts