Ruger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took the max to the range on Wednesday and didn't get through one box of ammo before the slide started to lock back after every few rounds. Yep, the frame widened enough to lose control of the slide stop spring and also the TD pin access plate was just flopping around. I haven't been keeping a round count but it has roughly 500-550 (edit) rounds through it. Dropped it off at Ruger yesterday and got a call at 9 this morning to come pick it up. They replaced the frame, slide stop, spring and TD plate. Didn't notice until I got home that they never put a cleaning cloth in the box either. I measured/recorded the width of the new frame in several places and will check it after each outing. Its off to the range tomorrow to run a few boxed through it again.

Font Rectangle Sky Composite material Building

·
Registered
566 Posts
Get it fixed, dump it and get a serious defensive handgun like a Shield Plus or P365. Seriously, a floppy plastic takedown port… What a joke

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took my Max-9 out the other day on its maiden voyage. Put 50+ rounds down range with no issues. Nice pistola!
Mine had no issues the first three times to the range. This last time it was sitting on the tailgate of my truck, in the 90 degree sun, while I was testing ammo through my AR. Frames flex a lot while firing so the heat probably allowed it to flex to the point of letting go of the slide stop spring. I've read of several Max 9's having the same problem and when I took mine to Ruger I was told it was the third one dropped off that week. Not saying they all had the slide stop issue, but if locals dropped of three in a week, how many were shipped back? I think we're going to see a lot more with grip frame problems. I'm not sure the Max is ready for prime time and Ruger needs to address this design flaw.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I recently went back to the P365, and just ran the crap out of them yesterday. I still have, run and love my Security 9 and Security 9 Compact models. I got the P365, again long story, since there are times where even the lighter slimmer gun is nice for hours.

I held and looked at the Max 9 while debating the P365 last week at the shop, and went against it. I've owned and dumped several of these micro 9s, and IMO the P365 is the only one that's really the best. The Shield Plus is a tank, I'm sure, but it's also a lot bigger than the Max 9 and P365. To each their own. I think the Max 9 is gonna be a great pistol, but it's subject to that first year of teething issues. Plastic cover for takedown, I saw that in person while holding it, and have heard people have had issues with it and was just like NOPE. Gimme the 365.

Not often that I'd advise against a Ruger, but this one just had some poor design choices, it would seem. If I were in your shoes, I'd get it back from them again if necessary, and run it to make sure it's at least running, and trade 'er in on something different.

Reactions: PhilBill

·
Registered
731 Posts
Get it fixed, dump it and get a serious defensive handgun like a Shield Plus or P365. Seriously, a floppy plastic takedown port… What a joke
I like many Rugers, and have them, but the service caliber budget semi autos def look and feel like budget firearms. For the money or affordability, I’m sure they suffice. I agree though on an M&P/shield, sig, or a Glock.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know this is a Ruger forum, and I have a Ruger LCPII .380 that is a great little pistol. I am presently looking to add an "original" LCP to my "pocket carry on a budget" options. That said, I'm not interested in the Ruger 9mm offerings, especially the new Max-9. They just don't look and feel like long-term trustworthy pistols. My M&P Shield 9 2.0 has over 5000 rounds of all types of ammo through it, and is still as tight and reliable as the day I bought it. With proper maintenance and new RSA, it's humming right along. Never a failure of any type.
I don't put lots of rounds through my LCPII now that I've practiced enough to become proficient with it, and don't feel like it is designed for or sturdy enough for that. Same with their new line of 9mms. Just my opinion, I'll take the flames if I shouldn't have said this here....

·
Registered
238 Posts
I sent a message to Ruger this morning about this failure with the Max 9. I expressed my concern over having this kind of failure in my EDC. I received a call from Ruger customer service within a half hour. He said that they identified a batch of slide stop springs that had a problem with bubbles in the casting. He said that they have fired a large number of rounds through a test gun with the replacement parts and had no failures.

Let's hope that he is correct. I would contact them with your serial number and ask if it was affected by the defective spring. Hopefully, they can identify which guns have the defect part. I asked if they were going to issue a recall and he said that it was a small number of guns affected. Good luck!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I know this is a Ruger forum, and I have a Ruger LCPII .380 that is a great little pistol. I am presently looking to add an "original" LCP to my "pocket carry on a budget" options. That said, I'm not interested in the Ruger 9mm offerings, especially the new Max-9. They just don't look and feel like long-term trustworthy pistols. My M&P Shield 9 2.0 has over 5000 rounds of all types of ammo through it, and is still as tight and reliable as the day I bought it. With proper maintenance and new RSA, it's humming right along. Never a failure of any type.
I don't put lots of rounds through my LCPII now that I've practiced enough to become proficient with it, and don't feel like it is designed for or sturdy enough for that. Same with their new line of 9mms. Just my opinion, I'll take the flames if I shouldn't have said this here....
Without a doubt my 9mm s&w shield and my Glock feel and look like higher quality workmanship. But, new ones also cost more for the equivalent pistol. My view is the affordable Ruger semi auto market fits a need for budget yet serviceable guns. I think Ruger revolvers are higher quality.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm afraid you misunderstood.

That "additional notes" paper is the complement, aka the Ruger cleaning cloth.

Now, don't you feel silly....:whistle:
@rmichael63: I believe jehzsa is joking that the printout page itself is the cleaning cloth. It took me a few minutes to "get it" also.

As for the real cleaning cloth, I have two & they're saturated with oil. There are guns that they're not suited for, like my SR22 with polymer frame & anodized alloy slide. Or the cerakote Wrangler. The cloth is made for doing a protective oil wipedown on regular blued guns (& works very well). Ruger used to give a complimentary magazine, but they switched to the cloths.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not only that. In context, whoever wrote that should have used "complimentary" instead of "complementary".

I'm hoping that OP's troubles are fixed. Fingers crossed.
If not, then the use of the term "complementary" might be the correct one. A non-delivered item with an unfixed pistol. 🦴

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not only that. In context, whoever wrote that should have used "complimentary" instead of "complementary".

I'm hoping that OP's troubles are fixed. Fingers crossed.
If not, then the use of the term "complementary" might be the correct one. A non-delivered item with an unfixed pistol. 🦴

Here's an update since Ruger fixed the Max 9. Read the last paragraph for another issue.

Had it to the range several times since, and have run about 300 rounds through it. After each range trip I measur. e and compare the grip frame width with the measurements I recorded right after the fix. After the first range trip. three was a slight frame width increase of .004" in the area between the slide stop and take down plate, and no more since. So maybe the new grip frame is GTG.

Now, I did have one other problem that somewhat concerns me. At one point near the end of the last range trip, the back plate came loose from the striker and dropped just far enough to hang up on the rear of the chassis causing it to fail to go into battery. I pushed it back up and heard the striker snap back into the place as it always does whenever I reinstall it. It's possible, but highly unlikely, that the striker failed to snap back into the plate the last time I had it out, especially since that was before Ruger fixed it. The back plate does fit very sloppy in the slide, and the plate's recess that the striker fits into is shallow enough that recoil may have caused it to release. The pic shows where the plate got hung up on the chassis and chewed it up slightly (yellow circle). I think give Ruger a call to see if they will send a new plate just for piece of mind. Thoughts?

Automotive tire Carbon Auto part Gadget Gas

·
Registered
343 Posts
Here's an update since Ruger fixed the Max 9. Read the last paragraph for another issue.

Had it to the range several times since, and have run about 300 rounds through it. After each range trip I measur. e and compare the grip frame width with the measurements I recorded right after the fix. After the first range trip. three was a slight frame width increase of .004" in the area between the slide stop and take down plate, and no more since. So maybe the new grip frame is GTG.

Now, I did have one other problem that somewhat concerns me. At one point near the end of the last range trip, the back plate came loose from the striker and dropped just far enough to hang up on the rear of the chassis causing it to fail to go into battery. I pushed it back up and heard the striker snap back into the place as it always does whenever I reinstall it. It's possible, but highly unlikely, that the striker failed to snap back into the plate the last time I had it out, especially since that was before Ruger fixed it. The back plate does fit very sloppy in the slide, and the plate's recess that the striker fits into is shallow enough that recoil may have caused it to release. The pic shows where the plate got hung up on the chassis and chewed it up slightly (yellow circle). I think give Ruger a call to see if they will send a new plate just for piece of mind. Thoughts?
Oh boy. Yeah, just call them and let them know about that issue, too. That striker back plate has never budged on any gun I've ever owned, so I'd be concerned with that.

Reactions: Funflyer

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I decided that instead of replacing a loose plastic piece of crap with the same, I'd just make one from aluminum. Took the better part of yesterday as there was lots of hand fitting but now it's as it should be. If the Max can get through another 500 rounds without crapping out again I think it'll be ready for a Cerakote finish. Not sure what Ruger uses as a finish but it's pathetic at best.

Asphalt Composite material Auto part Road surface Plumbing fitting

Auto part Fashion accessory Automotive tire Tints and shades Flooring
Nickel Auto part Metal Font Fashion accessory
Camera accessory Digital camera Cameras & optics Gadget Camera lens

1 - 19 of 19 Posts