Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's from 1986. Found at a local auction and I was lucky to be the only bid so the price was right. Planning a lot of range time with this one. The finish shows no wear. It appeared to be fired little, lightly coated with oil, then stored. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,917 Posts
Wow! What a beauty. That is gorgeous, and I'm jealous. The guys at the range popping away with their polymer 9mm's will be amazed at the tight groups that sweet S&W will print. Congratulations!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Beauty! Finally it will be allowed to "speak".
My wifes favorite gun is my old model 15-3 I carried when I was wearing the badge. So easy to stage that trigger. Love those S&W clicks!

PS: That is the weapon I went through the Police Academy with in 1979. They made us shoot until the gun failed to work just to show us how soon that would happen.

My cylinder ceased to rotate after the 112th round no matter how hard I pressed the trigger. (We were given .38 wadcutter reloads that smoked like Bullseye powder loads).

The real odd thing is 112 was my badge #. Guys said I did it on purpose but I didn't.

Good luck with that fine piece! You gound a real nice one.

Ed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is so cool! Been toying with the idea of getting/finding a longer barreled 38 to shoot with; i've got a snub nose already, but that just looks like it'd be absolute fun

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,788 Posts
It's from 1986. Found at a local auction and I was lucky to be the only bid so the price was right. Planning a lot of range time with this one. The finish shows no wear. It appeared to be fired little, lightly coated with oil, then stored. Thanks for looking.
What a beauty. My 64 is a 1987 build, and it's been great. You'll have this gun for the duration.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You've found a real treasure there and like new condition! Since buying a couple model 10s last year I've developed a real appreciation for the craftsmanship and function of these older Smith revolvers. They're works of art. Mine are fixed sight 4" heavy barreled models that shoot very accurately with very nice triggers. I think the adjustable sights are the difference between the model 10 and model 15. Correct?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
A really nice Model 15 in an uncommon 6" barrel. It should be a 15-5, when the 6" and 8" barrels were introduced. Only 4" and 2" up the that variation. :)

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Very nice well I learned something new unless that is a misprint I never thought that S&W Made a Model 15 with a 6 inch barrel!!! I was thinking wow nice Model 14 S&W!!! To the OP does the revolver have Mod. 15 stamped on the revolver?? Nice find and congrats!!!

·
Premium Member
14,076 Posts
Wow! That is a great looking revolver and congrats!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Very nice well I learned something new unless that is a misprint I never thought that S&W Made a Model 15 with a 6 inch barrel!!! I was thinking wow nice Model 14 S&W!!! To the OP does the revolver have Mod. 15 stamped on the revolver?? Nice find and congrats!!!
Thank you. Yes, 15-5 on the yoke. I understand 6" was available starting in '86 as was an 8 3/8" until around 1992.

You've found a real treasure there and like new condition! Since buying a couple model 10s last year I've developed a real appreciation for the craftsmanship and function of these older Smith revolvers. They're works of art. Mine are fixed sight 4" heavy barreled models that shoot very accurately with very nice triggers. I think the adjustable sights are the difference between the model 10 and model 15. Correct?
And thank you. Yep, I think it's basically a 10 with an adjustable sight, in this case anyway. I have seen 15's with target hammer, trigger, stocks but this one is service equipped.

Thank you all for the comments.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,369 Posts
The only difference between a Mod 14 and 15 is the Baughman ramp sight on the Mod 15. I have a no-dash 4" Mod 15 in like new condition …. a truly excellent revolver. I Also have a 6" Mod 14, which is an excellent bullseye gun with 10s of thousands of 148gr LHBWCs fired in it and still going strong.

Here's my 15 no-dash:

Here's my 6" Mod 14. Note the front sights on the OP's 6 incher looks like the front sight on my Mod 15:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only difference between a Mod 14 and 15 is the Baughman ramp sight on the Mod 15. I have a no-dash 4" Mod 15 in like new condition …. a truly excellent revolver. I Also have a 6" Mod 14, which is an excellent bullseye gun with 10s of thousands of 148gr LHBWCs fired in it and still going strong.
Those are both nice. I prefer Target grips like on your 14 but I put a Tyler T on my 15 and it seems to feel pretty good so I'll see how it shoots with that set up.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Looks like it was someones nightstand gun and they periodically cleaned and cared for it. Great find and congrats on the new revolver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
San Diego Police Dept used 6" model 10's until the 50's and switched to model 14's. I have both surplus models which shoot amazing groups when my eyes work. The model 10 was made in 1948 when I was born and the 14 is from 1957. My 14 has the target hammer and trigger. They are going to my sons someday.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Nice looking specimen you found there! Like Iowegan I have a Model 15 and a Model 14 and they are favorites along with a 17 and 18 (a classic quartet). My 15 is a dash 2 with a 4" barrel and my 14 is set up as a target gun with the three Ts. You should really enjoy that one - congratulations.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I had a S&W Model 19 6 inch barreled .357 that had the Partridge style of front sight. That fine revolver was traded straight across for my current S&W Model 17 6 inch barreled .22LR. Even though I have a very nice S&W Model 66 no dash .357, I would like to get another Model 66 or 19 in a 6 inch barrel. But a nice Ruger GP100 5 inch would also fill this gap very nicely!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts