Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my Mark III 22/45 in 2012. Has open sights. Want to add Picatinny rail to underside of barrel for a light. Spoke to Ruger rep, she stated the rail they use on pistol model # 10149 is not a part offered to public and she had no info on brand or who provided the rail. Would like to find out which aftermarket pic rail will match the radius of the Ruger barrel and made to a length of 2.5".

Any help appreciated,

Tom

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I would tend to assume that there is a picatinny rail out there that will match the curvature of the barrel that's ready off of the shelf, so I would encourage you to look for that. All you need to know is the diameter of the barrel, and the length of rail you want - you'll likely be able to find a rail meant for some other model that will fit perfectly, even if not labeled for a Ruger 22/45.

HOWEVER...

If you are unable to do so, there are pic rails made to mount on the receiver that I KNOW are readily available (i.e. Weigand makes one, weaver, ruger OEM parts, etc). Cut it down to the length you want, and use progressively finer sandpaper laid along your barrel to lap it to fit the barrel diameter (since the receiver dia is slightly larger). OR, rather than sanding, you could use bedding epoxy to bed the base to the barrel. Of course, you'll have to D&T the underside of the barrel to the appropriate depth, but any smith can do so for $25-50.

Any smith worth his salt could produce a pic rail for your purpose as well. Pic rail blanks are readily purchased for almost no cost, and it'd be quick work on a mill to groove it to the appropriate diameter. This would be more expensive than buying an off the shelf option, but would work as a last resort, and would give a highly professional look and fitment.

Personally, I'd skip the searching time - just buy a pic rail from Weigand, cut it down, D&T the barrel, and lap it to fit the right diameter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. Was expecting more from Ruger when I talked to them but I guess they wanted me to purchase another pistol. Will take a look at Wiegand.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Thanks for the help. Was expecting more from Ruger when I talked to them but I guess they wanted me to purchase another pistol. Will take a look at Wiegand.

Thanks,

Tom
Not sure what you expected. It's a part they don't offer as an add on part. Are you surprised that somebody who answers the phone can't tell you from where they source outside parts?...........I wouldn't expect any different

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Thanks for the help. Was expecting more from Ruger when I talked to them but I guess they wanted me to purchase another pistol.
Or... They really don't sell this as a separate part and don't use a standard retail rail for their guns that have it...

While I'm sure they won't mind if you buy another Ruger, I really doubt that's the focus of their service department for customers who ask for products they don't sell. Nobody, even those on this forum, can know every aftermarket part for every Ruger firearm out there. And the list changes daily anyway.

That said, you might look at Dr Frankenruger's Tri Rail mount. Or look for Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite rail base, it may be the right fit. Volquartsen makes their picatinny rail system which has an underside rail as well as top.

Or, trade yours on the one Ruger makes.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts