Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think about adjustable rear sights? I am considering purchasing an adjustable rear sight for both my P95 & P97. Just wanted to get opinions before deciding on a brand or type. I think the rear adjustable sight would suffice without the need to replace the front. Thoughts?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,827 Posts
Adjustable sights on a semi-auto pistol are not "value added" in most semi-autos. The slide slamming back and forth will demo all but the best and even the best ones can drift. Except for target grade guns (which Rugers aren't) there really isn't much need for an adjustable sight. Revolvers can shoot a host of different bullet weights and power levels and really "need" adjustable sights to track with the loads. On the other hand, pistols require about the same power level loads to function properly so most ammo will shoot close to the same POI. For self defense, adjustable sights are "snaggers" and just get in the way. The front sight must be considerably taller to align with the higher profile adjustable rear sights. As such, the gun becomes "unfriendly" to holsters. Most shooters prefer fixed sights because they stay put, are a lower profile, and maintain close to the same POI for most loads.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Iowegan said it in detail.....to me ,bottom line is the 'purpose' for which one uses ANY particular firearm...if it is for target shooting , then by all means an adjustable sight.
For combat, defense use, maybe even duty , then a "fixed" sight, you are NOT about to stop and holler at any bad guy to "hold it" while I adjust my sights.............how far away are you?
Me, for carry , or defense have even had guns with NO front sight at all, cause I am an 'instict 'shooter and can "hit" what I am looking at..........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Novak is exactly who I was looking at. I may not get any at all, but those are the ones I was looking at for their durability and low profile.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Look at XOSystems out of Ft. Worth, Tx.---they have quick picture sights with an open v and a big ball front that line up fast-originally for big game snap shots but now available for pistols and revolvers-good for bifocle-aged eyes...

·
Registered
918 Posts
I don't care about adjustable sights but I'm thinking about looking into night sites for my guns. I was looking at some tht belonged toan LEO's service pistol (Beretta) and think my old ees would like them.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,827 Posts
TnTut, Before you go out and spend big $$$ for night sights, try a gun that already has them. I made a big mistake and installed a set of Trijicons on my Beretts 96. They present a lousy sight picture in day light, when I do nearly all of my practice. At night, they do indeed glow but when it is dark enought to see the glow, you can't see the target.

A much better solution for a day/night gun is a laser. I mounted a set of laser grips on my S&W 686. During day light, the factory iron sights work quite well. In subdued light, the laser is the cat's meow. The laser doesn't project very well during full day light but at night you can see it way past the range of the gun. Crimson Trace grips aren't cheap but they sure do work for me.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Ditto on the XO sights-they are fast for day and bright at night-a po-boy's answer....Iowegan-I picked up a Jframe demo of the CT Lasergrips at the gun shop and "drew" from my pocket-aimed a la Bill Jordan from the point where I cleared my pocket, and drilled the doorknob from about 20'---took several other snap shots and fell in love-gotta have them on my M649 2" and any other revolver I shoot that they're made for-if you've trained to "throw" the shot at the target-they cut your time in little tiny pieces-well worth the money.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Let us know how that laser grip works fer' ya'...I've got sort of a swap pendin' that'll get me a set for my uniform duty weapon ( Beretta .40 ).

I think Iowegan makes a valid point...at some point you've got to illuminate your target. Usually that's done with bright "white" light. Wonder about efficiency of laser vs. nitesights when you factor in artificial illumination. We have nite qualification at least once a year, but my only experience has been with std sights and std. night sights...never yet w/laser...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I've always shot one-handed, leaving the other free for the light-have no interest on my barrel "looking" for me-the chance of a startle response causing the trigger to squeeze when the hand's already squeezing the light switch ain't gonna happen with me...too old to re-train...most of my work was graveyards and the gun followed the light----that's the way I like it. Laser would be bright enough at night not to wash out from the flashlight-what a team!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts