Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Forlorn Hope
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, last Friday I ordered 4 boxes of ammo from Midway USA. This was just before the beginning of all the ammo hording. It shipped out Tuesday (no doubt due to the weekend rush) via UPS. Tracking told me it would arrive on Thursday (I had it sent to my business).
Cue the stupidity. Thursday rolls around, and I am waiting for the order. The shop is open, I can see out the front entrance, and the package lists the store by name (large sign above the entrance).

I periodically check the tracking updates, because I have nothing better to do (the social distancing stuff is killing business). At 2:33pm, there are two simultaneous updates:

Now the shop is open, so first I run out and look around, but there is no one around, no UPS, no package, no vehicle but my own, nothing. So I go back in and click on the the the second update, the one that says delivered and "Proof of Delivery":

Left at: Receiver, Received by: <last name I don't recognize>.

Several hours later, and after tracking down the UPS driver, I get the whole story. The driver, who has delivered here before, pulled up to the business next door, and found it closed (due to virus concerns). Now you will recall, the business name and address do not match the package, and the large sign on my shop next door does. As the driver starts to head back to his vehicle, a passing stranger tells him, 'oh, I know this person, I can give it to them for you.'. They sign, giving just their last name, and promptly walk off with almost $100 worth of ammo.

Seriously, WTF.

Needless to say, Midway has already credited me for the entire order (They have always treated me great), but with all the ammo panic buying, It's not like there is anything left to order now.

·
Forlorn Hope
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...What was UPS’s response?
They continue to say they are investigating the issue, but I had corporate on the line when I spoke to the driver, so it is on record that I am aware their driver gave the package to a pedestrian, after attempting to deliver it to the wrong address.

I also sent the full details of the situation to Midway (who clearly sympathized), so I suspect they will have no trouble getting compensated. Other than being pissed, and disappointed (I had ordered some of the Underwood Xtreme Defender, and was looking forward to trying it as my EDC ammo), I also can't help but worry where the stolen ammo will get to.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Though part is ammo is almost as hard to fin for as TP. Not currently replaceable.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
They continue to say they are investigating the issue, but I had corporate on the line when I spoke to the driver, so it is on record that I am aware their driver gave the package to a pedestrian, after attempting to deliver it to the wrong address.

I also sent the full details of the situation to Midway (who clearly sympathized), so I suspect they will have no trouble getting compensated. Other than being pissed, and disappointed (I had ordered some of the Underwood Xtreme Defender, and was looking forward to trying it as my EDC ammo), I also can't help but worry where the stolen ammo will get to.

Let us know final resolution. I think this is a big fear of a lot of people, maybe not this situation but porch pirates at the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Forlorn Hope
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know if Inceptor RNP Sport Utility 9mm, 65 Grain ammo has been discontinued (some of the online sites list Discontinued by the Manufacturer.) Their site does not say anything about dropping it.

It looks to be the only inexpensive 65 Grain ammo that would let me practice at the range (it's statistics are relatively close to the Underwood Xtreme Defender 65 Grain).

I had not ordered it, but if I can get my hands on some, I can plink until the Xtreme is available again.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
In northern n ammo is selling for the normal price but many were on sale like 9 mm ball amo. It was 16-20 dollars on sale for 20-30 per cent off. Now all of it is at regular price. In NJ walmart does not sell ammo or firearms. Dicks sporting goods does but all the ones near me are phasing out guns. I do not buy from dicks un less absolutely necessary. About 3 weeks ago I needed a particular item right away. No local gun store sold it so I went to dicks as I coult not wait for shipment and the nearest cabelas is 2plus hours away.

·
Registered
527 Posts
UPS used to be pretty good but since online buying started growing their quality of service has dropped. I had a non tracked package left on a stone wall at the end of my 300 feet long driveway this winter because the driver "couldn't make the driveway". The drive way was fine. He just got lazy. I eventually was told the package was there days later by a visitor. UPS apologized for that one.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Interesting comment from folks who have zero understanding of what it’s like to work for UPS.

It makes me chuckle.

·
Forlorn Hope
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The last regular driver around here would find you on the moon if he had to. I miss him.
We had a UPS driver for the last 15+ years, and he was amazing, he used to come in through our back door, just so we did not have to take packages up a flight of stairs. He has since retired.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Why did he go next door and try to deliver it to a closed business when he had been to your place before and had made deliveries to you before ?

Did he suddenly come down with an Attack of the Screaming Stupids ...
Oh No is the Screaming Stupids the next Pandemic ?

·
Forlorn Hope
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh No is the Screaming Stupids the next Pandemic ?
At least we could tell who was infected.

Why did he go next door and try to deliver it to a closed business when he had been to your place before and had made deliveries to you before?
Not having seen the package, it's possible that my name came before the business on the label or such, causing some kind of confusion, though the address numbers are next to the door on all the shops in the plaza, so...

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Gladius64, so you haven’t seen the package and you’re really not sure if it was labeled properly, correct? I guess it’s easier to just blame the driver for you not getting your package regardless of facts. That’s what most people do, right or wrong ya gotta blame someone.

Some seem to think that a UP driver stops by their business or residence, drops off their package and then goes home and drinks beer the rest of the day, not so. Try doing that 170 to 225 times a day if you’re on a residential route. Now if you’re on a commercial route you may only have 100 delivery stops, (no limit on the number of packages) and 50 or 60 pickup stops, (again no limit on the number of packages picked up). On a commercial run if you try to deliver between 12 and 1pm and they’re not there it’s a “missed” delivery. Pickups generally start between 2:30 and 3pm so you may have 3 hours to make all your stops. If one or more of your shippers decide to ship more than normal on any given day and you arrive late at a business that’s closed you have a “missed” pickup.

Driving for UPS is a high stress job and physically taxing, a driver is racing against the clock from the minute he leaves the hub until he gets back. Every route has a time allowance, every thing a driver does in the course of their day is plugged into a computer, the computer tells the center manager if the the driver was late or “scratch “, scratch being on time or early. Some of the things that factor into a drivers day are, number of stops, number of packages delivered, number of pickups, number of pieces picked up, number of signatures, number of COD’s, number of miles driven, there’s even an allowance for how many gallon of gas you put in.

I don’t see what the big is, nobody’s perfect, (maybe you are) mistakes happen and you are out no money at all. I’m pretty sure your driver didn’t leave the hub that morning with the intention of you not getting your package.

I think saying “Cue the stupidity” is going a little to far though. If you’re curious as to how I know some much about UPS ask me...........

·
Registered
312 Posts
UPS did the same thing to me, with two 9' pool umbrellas.

I figure the UPS driver has a nice set of umbrellas.
I got a full refund from Amazon.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I worked for UPS and I agree, it is not easy running all day and working against the clock.
Snow storms, traffic and crazy car drivers not cutting you a break as you are crossing roads carrying parcels. It's a tuff job.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts