Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Also, who's to say that what the pedestrian said wasn't true?

Won't you feel a bit silly if your neighboring business reaches out to you and says "Hey, a find of mine grabbed a package that he thought was for me, but it's actually yours."

My wife, being at home most days accepts packages for our neighbors all the time, even if we don't know them very well. They always get to their recipients. She can't be the only one.

Aqualung

·
Registered
80 Posts
You don’t want to walk into a store and buy the ammo yourself? Then you roll the dice and take your chances. You pay for conveniences, and risks are involved, sounds like you were made whole again. Mark204, hang in there brother, we’ve got some long weeks ahead of us.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Yeah, with drugs going to hospice care and gold jewelry for the jeweler on his package car I am sure the driver found umbrellas irresistible...

I hear ya nga..........on any given day I could have half a million dollars in merchandise on my package car......but give me them cheesie umbrellas from Amazon, that’s what I want to steal. It’s not uncommon for today’s drivers to make 100k plus. I’ve known of one driver who got caught stealing.......and it was raw diamonds going to a high end jeweler.

I felt like I was robbing UPS everyday I went to work.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Mark204, hang in there brother, we’ve got some long weeks ahead of us.
Thanks ddub, trust me I’m not rattled, I just get a little irritated when people post about something they know very little about...........

·
Major
1,624 Posts
My only complaint about UPS is our route's driver just leaves packages on the porch without knocking or ringing the door bell. FedEx almost always rings the bell.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
My only complaint about UPS is our route's driver just leaves packages on the porch without knocking or ringing the door bell. FedEx almost always rings the bell.
That’s understandable and wrong, policy dictates the the driver honks the horn when arriving, (to draw attention) and ring/knock on the when the package is delivered. I only knocked if I knew if someone was normally home........after 15 years on the same route the i knew.......call and complain.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Gladius, consider yourself lucky, I guess. Been dealing with it for years. It comes and goes. Every time there's a new driver, it's a new adventure. Holidays are a real treat.

·
Major
1,624 Posts
That’s understandable and wrong, policy dictates the the driver honks the horn when arriving, (to draw attention) and ring/knock on the when the package is delivered. I only knocked if I knew if someone was normally home........after 15 years on the same route the i knew.......call and complain.
I’ve complained so many times over the 13 years I’ve been at this address, to no avail, I’ve quit trying. Even face to face with the dispatch supervisor was wasted breath. They were polite, though.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Majorlk, I believe what you’re say, but I can’t believe it. I bent over backwards for my customers........I put packages wherever they wanted them regardless of how inconvenient it was for me, I dropped off personal packages where they worked, (which actually saved me time, two stops in one) bit they felt special. My customers allowed me and my family to have a very comfortable life style through out the years.

I started in ‘77, I did my time, for me it was a love-hate relationship, i loved the financial freedom, I loved the job, loved the my customers, (I live on my route to this day) and have formed many personal relationships, BBQ’s, parties, shooting buds. I hated the hours, though.

Maybe it’s the new “breed” of drivers today......but management is the driving force behind it all.

·
Major
1,624 Posts
Yea, Mark, it’s completely true, sadly. Maybe it’s this region because I did not have the problem the 18 years I lived in Baltimore.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Yea, Mark, it’s completely true, sadly. Maybe it’s this region because I did not have the problem the 18 years I lived in Baltimore.
Majorlk, when I started, they (UPS) constantly drilled into our heads that we have only have one thing to offer....that being our last name, United Parcel “SERVICE “ ........without that we nothing. There was no competition then, they didn’t even advertise..... when I started I’d never heard of them, it was just a job.

·
Forlorn Hope
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
....That’s what most people do, right or wrong ya gotta blame someone.

....I think saying “Cue the stupidity” is going a little to far though. If you’re curious as to how I know some much about UPS ask me...........
I will admit that there were obviously circumstances that lead to the mistake, and it is possible that there was an issue with the label. My point is that while I've known many skilled and professional drivers, some mistakes are just that, and some drivers are not up to their jobs. Giving someone my package in a shopping center parking lot, because they say they know me? How is that not stupid. I realize you are defensive on this driver's behalf, and I did not intend this to be a general bash UPS thread. I would hope that you could at least acknowledge that I have grounds for being upset at his conduct?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Majorlk, I believe what you’re say, but I can’t believe it. I bent over backwards for my customers........I put packages wherever they wanted them regardless of how inconvenient it was for me, I dropped off personal packages where they worked, (which actually saved me time, two stops in one) bit they felt special. My customers allowed me and my family to have a very comfortable life style through out the years.

I started in ‘77, I did my time, for me it was a love-hate relationship, i loved the financial freedom, I loved the job, loved the my customers, (I live on my route to this day) and have formed many personal relationships, BBQ’s, parties, shooting buds. I hated the hours, though.

Maybe it’s the new “breed” of drivers today......but management is the driving force behind it all.
You sound like you were one of the old school type of worker that is getting harder to find today. I know UPS runs a tight ship and their drivers have to hussle everyday. Most do a good job and a screw up now and then is bound to happen.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Gladus64, I am not condoning what the driver did at all, in my mind he screwed up based on what you’ve said so far, that’s not to say there is any underlying issue that’s we don’t know about. My approach would have been to make 3 delivery attempts,(it takes less time) then give it to the clerk, then the check would “post card” the recipient and ask for an alternate address, if there’s no response In 7 days it’s goes back to the shipper.

My only point is NO driver wants to have any loss associated with him, it doesn’t reflect well on him as a driver.

I was residential and had claims filed on deliveries I made where I noted on my record, drmcw, (meaning driver release met customer woman) and they claim they never got it. How does that make me look to management, pretty bad right? From there on out I will only take an “in person” signature from that address, I wouldn’t take a signed delivery note, I wouldn’t indirect it, the customer was screwed. When the customer asked me why I wouldn’t take a signed release I would tell them that for whatever reason, unknown to me, your house is the ONLY house in this entire area that gets packages stolen. Bottom line, you make me look bad, I’ll make life miserable for you with zero repercussions to me.

All I’m saying is cut the guy some slack, we’re human, we have the same life problems everyone else has and trust me when you work alone all day you have can’t escape your thoughts. I’m not making excuses for his screw-up, but it happens. Other than this one bad thing has driver done anything good in the past...........??

·
Forlorn Hope
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
All I’m saying is cut the guy some slack, we’re human, we have the same life problems everyone else has and trust me when you work alone all day you have can’t escape your thoughts. I’m not making excuses for his screw-up, but it happens. Other than this one bad thing has driver done anything good in the past...........??
The driver is fairly new to this route (though I believe not to driving for UPS), so while he has not gone above and beyond, he has also not messed up either. I am more than willing to get passed this (especially due to update below). I'm still not sure about the 'Final Delivery Attempt' entry for his first try, but what ever.

Update: So you may recall that he was trying to deliver to the wrong business, and the helpful stranger said they knew me? Well it turns out she knew the manager of the other business, and while it is closed for the duration, the manager called to ask if I wanted her to drop off a package that she received. So while in no way a reflection on the driver (other than to put to rest some of the less kind speculations), it says a lot for the folks around here. ALSO: Yesterday, Midway credited me for the order, and said 'if they end up finding it, Midway does not accept returns on ammo, so feel free to keep it'...umm thank you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I drive for a living also and boy I know what you mean by you get lost I. Your thoughts and it is inescapable.

It got me a speeding ticket once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Gladius64, so you haven’t seen the package and you’re really not sure if it was labeled properly, correct? I guess it’s easier to just blame the driver for you not getting your package regardless of facts. That’s what most people do, right or wrong ya gotta blame someone.

Some seem to think that a UP driver stops by their business or residence, drops off their package and then goes home and drinks beer the rest of the day, not so. Try doing that 170 to 225 times a day if you’re on a residential route. Now if you’re on a commercial route you may only have 100 delivery stops, (no limit on the number of packages) and 50 or 60 pickup stops, (again no limit on the number of packages picked up). On a commercial run if you try to deliver between 12 and 1pm and they’re not there it’s a “missed” delivery. Pickups generally start between 2:30 and 3pm so you may have 3 hours to make all your stops. If one or more of your shippers decide to ship more than normal on any given day and you arrive late at a business that’s closed you have a “missed” pickup.

Driving for UPS is a high stress job and physically taxing, a driver is racing against the clock from the minute he leaves the hub until he gets back. Every route has a time allowance, every thing a driver does in the course of their day is plugged into a computer, the computer tells the center manager if the the driver was late or “scratch “, scratch being on time or early. Some of the things that factor into a drivers day are, number of stops, number of packages delivered, number of pickups, number of pieces picked up, number of signatures, number of COD’s, number of miles driven, there’s even an allowance for how many gallon of gas you put in.

I don’t see what the big is, nobody’s perfect, (maybe you are) mistakes happen and you are out no money at all. I’m pretty sure your driver didn’t leave the hub that morning with the intention of you not getting your package.

I think saying “Cue the stupidity” is going a little to far though. If you’re curious as to how I know some much about UPS ask me...........
So, how long did you work for UPS?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts