Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GP100 6 inch that I would like to optimize for 50-100 yards. Two main directions I can go:

1. Scope or Red Dot and mount. I did just finish getting my Mini-14 to shoot groups at 100 yards using a red dot 2x. I've had a lot of guns but never with an optical scope.

2. Replacement sights. XS Sights looks interesting. If I could do what the gun does in their demo video I would be very happy.

My eyes are not what they used to be as happens with you grow older.

Any advice from those that have gone either route would be appreciated.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don't particularly like optics on a revolver...some do. Though I have used them. What I find is, that I don't pick up quite as much heart beat wobble using the 2X as I do using the 4X.

Red dots are better in my estimation, yet the area the dot covers increases with distance, bear in mind a 5 MOA dot will cover a 5" circle at 100 yards...Which may or may not be helpful to the kind of accuracy you are looking for. Good luck.

·
Banned
402 Posts
5 MOA dot will cover a 5" circle at 100 yards...Which may or may not be helpful to the kind of accuracy you are looking for. Good luck.
That's why you may not want a 5 MOA dot Yes 5'' at 100, 2.5" at 50 and about 1.25 at 25
They are always stated for 100 yards, they cover a smaller area as the distance decreases.
3 MOA works out nice for many folks, the large MOA are mostly for fast target pick up
In breaching situation, Quick entry at close range, fast pick up on large targets.
If you want pin point accuracy and small adjustments in MOA ---red dots don't always fit the bill but they work well for there intended purpose.
Some people are amazed at the amount of shake there is with a conventional scope.
It's a learning curve for some and not a problem for others, what it's not is remove, replace and end all problems.
My fiber optic sites get me clay birds at 130 yards off a bag, they light up and don't block out as much target as you think they would, cost is less and have cured many shooting problems.
I have said before and I repeat, scopes are great, red dots are great, Just get what will fill YOUR
needs not what looks cool.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
It will depend on how you will be shooting.

From a bench or rest, the magnification of a scope will get you tighter groups compared to a red dot at those distances. I've even seen a difference, scope vs red dot, on my GP at 25 yards. With a scope at any distance, though, you still have to deal with a fairly narrow field of view and some scopes can be very fussy about positioning the gun for the sake of eye relief.

If you will be shooting offhand, using a scope is going to take plenty of practice, though, since that magnification is now magnifying not only the target, but every shake and wobble on your part. Getting comfy with a pistol scope, even shooting a 2x scope, offhand, ain't going to happen, overnight. Scopes are definitely less user friendly than red dots.

100 yards is pushing it for a red dot, IMO, though. A scope is definitely a better choice at that range if you are shooting for group size. 50 yards, no problem, but 100 yards, I'll take a scope. If you go a red dot, try to keep red dot size at that distance down to 3MOA, 2 MOA is even better.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I've done a LOT of handgun scoping so I hope my information is of some help to you. First, and earlier post referred to holding problems with a scoped handgun. That is very true indeed. 2X would be OK, but even at 4X you are pushing things quite a bit to be able to hold steady on any sized target. Variables that go higher (or fixed higher powered scopes) and you'd absolutely have to have a rest, and a good one at that. It's one thing to sink 50-100 yard shots with your scoped 6" revolver, but forget about it if you're in the field. I had a 2.5-8X scope on a handgun that I also placed a Harris bipod on and I was able to do fairly with that combination, but it was far from being ideal.

Even at your 50 to 100 yard range (unless you're shoot a blistering fast round), you're looking at two very separate aiming points and trajectories. A way around this would be to use a see through mount for open at fifty and scoped for one hundred yards. You might have luck with a variable, but it still will only be zero'd for one and only one yardage so Kentucky wind-age will need to be and have to be used to make it work.

I'd personally limit my shot distances and opt for a better open sights like the ones offered by Goshen sights. Their hex rear sight (read ghost ring) hexagon and matching front make those longer distances a bit easier to locate. Smithy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I put a fiber optic on my GP 100 and with a monopod shooting stick put all the rounds in a 6" bullseye at 44 yards. (From the back porch.) Out at the range I could hit the steel at 100 yards about 25% offhand. I'm going to bring the stick out to the gun club and see how it works longer distances. I think with a scope and a stick it would be a pretty effective hunting tool.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did put a Hi-Viz on the gun and for this weekend I am going to a local range to see just how well I can shoot up to 25 yards. I have a friend who is a gun expert and he will be bringing a handgun bench and I have a .38spl laser round so together we should be able see just how well I can do with what I already have.

I did look at sights and found:

XS Sights - tempting but no rear elevation adjustment.

Meprolight - I am bothered by all the reports of the sight needing gunsmith installation due to it not fitting correctly. I am still considering them

Williams Fire Sights - under consideration.

Bowen Rear Target Sight - interesting but I found little information from someone that would explain the advantages.

Trijicon - $700 is a bit much for any GP100 accessory

If there are any other GP100 sights on the market I would like to know.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I did look at sights and found:

XS Sights - tempting but no rear elevation adjustment.

Meprolight - I am bothered by all the reports of the sight needing gunsmith installation due to it not fitting correctly. I am still considering them

Bowen Rear Target Sight - interesting but I found little information from someone that would explain the advantages.

Trijicon - $700 is a bit much for any GP100 accessory
The Rough Country sight's are one's to consider. They're all steel and you're sights view uses the whole sight mechanism and not just a blade sticking out of it. It's thicker to where you start by bottoming out the sight into its recess in the frame. If adjustment is needed you loosen the elevation screw and tighten a separate Allen adjustment screw. When there both screws are tightened. Same for wind-age: it's screw against screw, or better put "Metal against Metal". No springs in the adjustment at all. Once you're locked in, there is no way you'll loose your adjustment. Smithy.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I have used the Williams firesight set (front and rear) and they do work very well as far as open sights go. Easy installation, too, and reasonably priced. Not what I would use for accuracy work at 100 yards, but one to consider. Much prefer a red dot or scope for that kind of work. Here's my GP with red dot via a weigand mount.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a GP100 6 inch that I would like to optimize for 50-100 yards. Two main directions I can go:

1. Scope or Red Dot and mount. I did just finish getting my Mini-14 to shoot groups at 100 yards using a red dot 2x. I've had a lot of guns but never with an optical scope.

2. Replacement sights. XS Sights looks interesting. If I could do what the gun does in their demo video I would be very happy.

My eyes are not what they used to be as happens with you grow older.

Any advice from those that have gone either route would be appreciated.
What do you plan to use this set up for once you have it put together? Are you using it to just shoot targets or are you planning on hunting with it? Your use will have a bearing on the direction you go. Several years ago I put a scope on my GP100 (6" barrel) and it works great for my use. I only use it from a bench with a rest.
Cary

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
North country gal, With your picture of your red dot equipped GP, it reminds me of a recent modification run I had with a SRH and a 9.5" barrel. I (not thinking) had Mag-Na-Port put on one of their brakes without cutting any of the barrel. End result was I had an 11.5" braked barrel. With a 2.5-8X Leupold variable the gun was simply too much for me to hang onto and get any kind of sight picture even at the lowest power setting.

So I grinned and bared it and cut the barrel (Mag-Na-Brake and all) down to 5.5". Now the scope was the same length as the revolver and yes, I could hold it steady for a shot. Trouble was I eliminated any chance of open sights. It was a scope only gun. Hog hunting? Sure it would do that, but plinking off a few rounds at the range was cumbersome at best. I should have skipped the brake and had Mag-Na-Port cut the barrel to 5.5" and remount the front sight and adjust for the shorter barrel length and maybe a porting job on the barrel itself. Chocked up to a learning experience for me (a costly one at that). Smithy.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
North country gal, With your picture of your red dot equipped GP, it reminds me of a recent modification run I had with a SRH and a 9.5" barrel. I (not thinking) had Mag-Na-Port put on one of their brakes without cutting any of the barrel. End result was I had an 11.5" braked barrel. With a 2.5-8X Leupold variable the gun was simply too much for me to hang onto and get any kind of sight picture even at the lowest power setting.

So I grinned and bared it and cut the barrel (Mag-Na-Brake and all) down to 5.5". Now the scope was the same length as the revolver and yes, I could hold it steady for a shot. Trouble was I eliminated any chance of open sights. It was a scope only gun. Hog hunting? Sure it would do that, but plinking off a few rounds at the range was cumbersome at best. I should have skipped the brake and had Mag-Na-Port cut the barrel to 5.5" and remount the front sight and adjust for the shorter barrel length and maybe a porting job on the barrel itself. Chocked up to a learning experience for me (a costly one at that). Smithy.
Smithy, I've done similar things. I think we sometimes have to try a mod just to see if it is what we want. My GP has a weigand mount on it, so it is now a red dot/scope only gun, but, so far, so good, since it is primarily a range gun. The mount and red dot, though, don't add enough weight to keep me from taking it out in the woods, now and then. I'd love to go back to iron, but I'm just about past the point where my eyes will let me. Most days it's shoot a red dot or scope or else just throw my ammo, away. It hurts, because I do love iron, but scopes and red dots allow me to keep shooting at the level I'm used to shooting. Without them, might as well just stay home, most days.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Without them, might as well just stay home, most days.
I'm certainly heading that direction. That's why I shot cowboy action for awhile. Nice big 16" square iron targets placed seven yards out. (a little further for rifle). It was a load of fun, but where I now live it's at least an hours drive to a cowboy range and then the dressing up. I just don't have the strength to shoot it any more. So I poke holes in paper at my local indoor range. Smithy.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I used to have a 9.5" Super Redhawk back in the late 80s with a 4X Burris LER scope on it. I would take a bunch of clays with me and I would scatter them on the backstop behind the 100 yard target line. I could break those clays all day long off a sandbag rest. Sighted in at 100 yards, it would shoot about 4 inches high at 50 yards using 240 gr jacketed rounds. That revolver was stupidly accurate. The scope would come right off with the 2 thumbscrews on the rings so I could shoot open at 25 yards or less. That's one revolver I regret selling....:(

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update-
Went to Pembroke Range on Monday night and got a few hits at 25 yards after adjusting the rear sight so it is a start. Wednesday night and I will be at Markham to see how well I can do at 50 yards. I'm trying to stay with iron sights but my situation is the rear sight is only in focus part of the time. I think if my arm was three inches longer I would be doing a lot better.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wednesday night I went to Markham to see just how well I could do at 50 yards with the factory rear sight and a Hi-Viz front sight. I started at 50, went to 25, 15, and then back to 50 yards for a final round of 25 shots to see just what I could do. I got five on the target for a twenty percent.

In all fairness to me, there was some slight interference. Above me was a bright light that totally blacked out the glow of the Hi-Viz. I really feel I need to do this again in sunlight.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Update-
Went to Pembroke Range on Monday night and got a few hits at 25 yards after adjusting the rear sight so it is a start. Wednesday night and I will be at Markham to see how well I can do at 50 yards. I'm trying to stay with iron sights but my situation is the rear sight is only in focus part of the time. I think if my arm was three inches longer I would be doing a lot better.

Join the club. I believe as we get older this becomes more pronounced. Here is some good information on shooting technique if you want to take a look at it.
Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol
I liked it and printed up a manual with the information.:)
Cary

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
In all fairness to me, there was some slight interference. Above me was a bright light that totally blacked out the glow of the Hi-Viz. I really feel I need to do this again in sunlight.
Another reason I've switched to red dots whenever possible - you're not held hostage to lighting conditions the way you are with iron sights, even hi-viz iron sights. Hang in there, you'll get it worked out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another reason I've switched to red dots whenever possible - you're not held hostage to lighting conditions the way you are with iron sights, even hi-viz iron sights. Hang in there, you'll get it worked out.
I am considering a red dot. I have a 2X on my Mini-14. Another reason is I can get the rail for my GP100 for $49 that does not need any drilling. So what would be a good red dot for 50-100 yards on a GP100?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I have a weigand mount (probably the one you're looking at - see the pic) on my 4" and highly recommend it. My favorite red dot without blowing the bank account on a Trijicon or Aimpoint, is an Ultradot. Still not cheap, but they will hold up to the recoil and are guaranteed for life.

To keep things small and compact, I use the Ultradot 25. Has a 4 MOA dot, which is about right for typical revolver ranges. At 100 yards, though, I usually need the help of a 2x or better scope to keep up with the accuracy potential of my revolver, but a red dot, even at that range, is a big, big improvement over iron for these old eyes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts