Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waiting for my CCW to arrive in the mail i thought it would be good idea to take a legal class as well. It was $50 at my local gun store and taught by an attorney that is a also gun owner and a former police officer.

The class reviewed laws for open and concealed carry, using deadly force for self defense, and the make my day law here in Colorado. He went over legal cases and gave examples of how things went right and how things can go wrong when using a firearm to defend yourself.

It was all great information but one of the best things I learned was.... NOT to talk to the police (With all due respect to our members of law enforcement on the forum).

My teacher advised us to say only this if you are forced to defend yourself with your firearm even if the bad guy is incapacitated. "That person attacked me and I want to press charges" After that he suggested " I want to cooperate but I need to speak with my attorney before I answer any questions.

As someone who always considers himself the "good guy" my initial thought would have been.... Sure, I'll talk to the police. What do I have to worry about? But as it turns out... I could have plenty to worry about.

I found this video on the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners site and it hammers the point home. It is a bit long and the guy talks REALLY fast but it was worth the look. The best part may have been when the detective that was invited gave his take.

Dont Talk to Police - YouTube

·
Banned
411 Posts
Really good advice.

Here's some more: Check around locally and find your best pro-gun attorney so you know who to call.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
It's called Texas Law Shield but this group will eventually be working in every State. I would not own a firearm without having these guys on board.

http://www.uslawshield.com/texas/

It is a no brainer for me, but I would encourage all gun owners to check them out at least.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Texas Law Shield actually came in and spent about an hour or so with us at our CHL class. I think that 45 out of 50 people signed up and the other five people were already members. They mentioned that they handle hundreds of cases per year and so far I believe that they are batting 1000 in the cases that they have represented.

Their rate structure is also somewhat different. I pay $131 and change per year as a CHL holder but the average citizen pays only $89 per year. My rates are locked in for life because I joined up at the CHL class. Very inexpensive insurance, so like I said, for me, it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Texas Law Shield actually came in and spent about an hour or so with us at our CHL class. I think that 45 out of 50 people signed up and the other five people were already members. They mentioned that they handle hundreds of cases per year and so far I believe that they are batting 1000 in the cases that they have represented.

Their rate structure is also somewhat different. I pay $131 and change per year as a CHL holder but the average citizen pays only $89 per year. My rates are locked in for life because I joined up at the CHL class. Very inexpensive insurance, so like I said, for me, it was a no brainer.
I agree and if I lived in Texas i would sign up too. :D

·
Banned
698 Posts
That goes for anything including traffic stops. When or if they ask is it OK to search you and your car? I SORRY IT IS NOT AND YOU MAY NOT SEARCH IT. Sorry.

They ain't going like it but. Its your right. The most they can do with out a warrant or probable cause is call a drug dog and look in thru the windows. No part of them or anything they are holding may pass the threshold of the window.

They will usually ask if I'm an attorney. I tell them no but5 family members are LEO'S and one IS an attorney.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That goes for anything including traffic stops. When or if they ask is it OK to search you and your car? I SORRY IT IS NOT AND YOU MAY NOT SEARCH IT. Sorry.

They ain't going like it but. Its your right. The most they can do with out a warrant or probable cause is call a drug dog and look in thru the windows. No part of them or anything they are holding may pass the threshold of the window.

They will usually ask if I'm an attorney. I tell them no but5 family members are LEO'S and one IS an attorney.
I agree... I bought a used car and who knows what they could find in there.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Great video, great post. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
The LEO that teaches the portion of our NRA CC class that pertains to the law tells us:

~ Be polite
~ DO NOT VOLUNTEER INFORMATION!
~ FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS
~ Say just enough to let the LEO know who the good guy is (you were attacked)
~ Summarize what else happened
~ Ask for a lawyer

I think that's much like the rest of you are saying. :D

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
It's funny, but TV and movies give the impression that asking for a lawyer or refusing to talk without a lawyer indicates guilt. Most LEOs don't actually think that way, real life has a lot of people that bring lawyers. And it's usually not the guilty.

The key is not to be confrontational. Give the required information (identify yourself, the fact that you and/or another were attacked, who the attacker is, etc.). Tell them you want to press charges, your are willing to cooperate and testify. Tell them you are upset and emotional and want to talk with a lawyer. And shut up.

The other key is a lawyer who understands gun and self-defense laws in your jurisdiction. Uncle Bob who handled your grandmother's will is not the guy you want. There are any number of organizations that provide lawyers, and even insurance, for cases like this. Use them. Keep the number in your wallet. Call them immediately.

And most of all, good luck. It's a long road to recovery and your life is changed forever. Work to see that it changes in a good way.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I heard this advice years ago from an old attorney

"If the Tuna had kept his mouth shut he would not have ended up in the can"

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I'm going to watch the video and take notes. I have always been of the opinion not to volunteer information and always have counsel. You are not helping anyone by yapping.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
Keeping your mouth shut is excellent advice. After an incident you are hyped up on adrenaline, relieved you are still alive, simply put full of emotion. Good time to keep quiet and let an attorney calm you down and keep you from making stupid remarks that you could later regret.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The LEO that teaches the portion of our NRA CC class that pertains to the law tells us:

~ Be polite
~ FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS
~ Say just enough to let the LEO know who the good guy is (you were attacked)
~ Summarize what else happened
~ Ask for a lawyer

I think that's much like the rest of you are saying. :D
The "Be polite" part is especially true... Their job is hard enough

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to watch the video and take notes. I have always been of the opinion not to volunteer information and always have counsel. You are not helping anyone by yapping.
The attorney in the video had waaaaaay too much coffee but he's funny. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts