Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a family member's passing, I came across a Super Blackhawk still in the presentation box, with the presentation ammo. It was a horrible mess; the foam had "decomposed" leaving a blue film over everything. The revolver itself had a pretty good layer of rust. particularly on the cylinder. Some rust/pitting on the stainless. It is quite possible that this gun was new, unfired, but decades of storage in an outside structure in high humidity had killed it. I wiped it with oil to clean off the easy stuff and oiled the rust over night. It did not do much to the rust. Next, oil and #0000 steel wool. Yep, removed the rust but the rust had already eaten the bluing.
Now I have a Super Blackhawk; mechanically perfect, cosmetically a mess. What would you do?
Ruger1.jpg
Ruger2.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
The options are an unlimited as your budget! If it was mine I would shoot it as is. Then if I loved it I would either strip and cold blue it, or if I had the desire and budget, get it professionally reblued, nickled, hard chromed etc. To go really wild, send it off for engraving or color case hardening.

If I didn’t love it I would trade or sell it.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
780 Posts
If you're desire is to keep it and shoot it, I'd give it a "gunfighter" look like my .41 Magnum Blackhawk. I bought it like this. The previous owner and I both believe that it was being prepared for a re-blue that never happened. It appears that all the finish has been stripped off, but it give it character and patina...

I call it "El Guapo"

Or, I'm sure you will find a reputable gunsmith to perform a good re-blue.

Aqualung

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Check with Ruger. I think they will reblue it for a reasonable price. Much less than the price of a new Super Blackhawk. It will add to the value should you ever decide to sell it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'm a shooter ... and since you don't have to worry about damaging the finish ... or any "collector value" ... this one would get shot , used , hunted with and carried a lot .
To be honest for a using / shooting gun ... it doesn't look too bad !
Looks kinda like my Blackhawk, see avatar , I bought nearly new in 1972 and been riding hard ever since !
Gary

·
Super Moderator
21,342 Posts
Looks like a good candidate for a Cerakote.

·
Righteous Dude
21,654 Posts
It doesn't look too far gone. I would look into a reblue as well other finishes like parkerizing, Cerakote, chroming, etc. I suppose it would also depend on application and desire for it to look like.

A fun project nonetheless!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Could just hunt it as suggested. Or, if me, I'd probably do a cerakote job. Its a cool gun either way.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It might be worth a peek inside as guns don't just rust on the outside. Cleaned and lubed, I'd shoot the heck outta that thing just like it is. That's if I had ammo for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point about the inside. Assuming the gun was never used, I did not run a brush down the barrel or in the cylinder. At 70+ cpr, I doubt I will be firing this gun extensively any time soon.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
780 Posts
Another thought about sending it in to see if Ruger will re-blue it is that they should also check it thoroughly and possibly fix any issues that they discover, possibly even under warranty.

Aqualung

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DQL-
Good call. While the barrel had a little carbon (the test fires?), the cylinder chambers were bad. After some Ballistol, the patches came out brown.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts