Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 years ago I decided to purchase an electronic scale to make powder weighing easier. I looked around and decided the Cabelas XT-1500 would be good value for the money. I purchased it and it would drift. I would zero, calibrate and zero and it would drift. I used it as best I could and then it died on me after a year of frustration. It was an absolute waste of money and if you look at the reviews on the Cabelas web site I'm not the only one with issues. It is absolute junk.

I purchased a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Scale and it is excellent. It hold zero, is easy to operate and expandable if I wish to add the chargemaster dispenser in the future. I'm sure there are other very good scales as I've heard good things about Lyman for one.

It looks like we have several new reloaders on this forum so I though you might benefit from my mistakes often referred to as experience.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Terry_p,
One thing you can count on,is RCBS service.
My ChargeMaster Combo 1500 decided to go way south on me several months ago.
The keyboard was giving me fits.Say, type a "1",you'd get like a "3".Sometimes, a different number,other than a "1".Same thing ,think,with "2 or 3".A totally different number other than was pressed.
Sent it in,roughly 2-3 weeks later,UPS handed me the box.
Inside, was a new one at no charge.
Note:If you should send in anything to RCBS,a $10.00 charge is requested.A M.O., or a
Cashier's Check,inside, along with your return address and a note of what is wrong with the product.Not a "It don't work.". Sorta detail the note,then they can do what ever is necessary to please you-their customer.And they want you to be happy with your purchase.
Still, RCBS is top notch.From all that I've been reading,Dillon is top notch as well.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,684 Posts
I had major problems with a Pact BBK II that I bought from Midway. It wouldn't hold calibration and would go into "error" frequently. I sent it back and got a new one. Guess what? The second one did exactly the same thing so I assumed that's just how the Pact worked. A few months ago, I was at a local shop and spotted their Pact scales and told them my tales of woe. The shop owner "sold" me a new one and told me to return my old one for a full refund. My new Pact works perfect. I concluded the strain gauge was damaged in shipment. BTW, the RCBS RangeMaster 750 is identical to the Pact BBK II except the color of the plastic case and the brand name.

·
Banned
700 Posts
I tried the RCBS 750 of a buddy's and decided to stay with my old standby the 5.0.5
I load .22-250 on a Rockchucker and though the rounds are for squeeks @ long distances there's always time for a target shoot off among my very competitive cohorts.
With the electronic I was spending too much time to get the same consistent load as I was getting on the 505. maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but....
Another friend who's a numismatist had the Pact but gave up on it.

SD

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am still using an RCBS balance beam because of stuff like this that I keep hearing about. That's why I like reading the reviews on sites like Midway or Cabela's. On the other hand I have heard that these things are very sensitive and even the slightest air movement indoors can make them vary somewhat even when they are working properly. But.......................

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,684 Posts
shdwrdr, You're absolutely right ... electronic scales take some book learnin'. The cheaper units like I have (Pact BBK II) don't like to trickle and will go into error if you gradually add powder. They don't like air movement, they hate bench vibration, cordless phones will drive them nuts, being too close to a fluorescent light will make them go into error, and temperature changes make them unstable. The more expensive units are much more stable in all respects.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have both electric and beam.. The beam is the one I trust and the electric
is the one I use the most... If I only could have one of them, the beam is
the one I would keep in a heart beat......

·
Super Moderator
21,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have both as well but I use the RCBS electronic now as I haven't had any issues and it is dead on. If I'm loading a large batch I'll periodically verify with the check weights and it is always there and goes back to zero. Just for S&G I have weighed the same charges on both scales and they come out very close.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Scales Bs All The Way

RCBS sent me a CHARGEMASTER when I returned an older scale of theirs that had gone bad. I have no idea why, something dropped on it, who knows? This is the way of the electronic world. RCBS replaced my old used one with a COMPLETE new CHARGEMASTER at NO CHARGE. I did pay to ship them the old one. So what! :) This thing is just Great. You can program something like 32 different charges in it. That kind of service cannot be beat with a stick in my book. :D
Here we have some 32 mag being loaded.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ooooh, that .32 mag is a dandy little round.
4.2gr of Unique and a Penn 95gr SWC at 1058fps from a Single Six with a 4 5/8" barrel. Aaaaaaahhhhhhh.......... just in case anybody is interested.

·
Registered
63 Posts
32 Mag

Ooooh, that .32 mag is a dandy little round.
4.2gr of Unique and a Penn 95gr SWC at 1058fps from a Single Six with a 4 5/8" barrel. Aaaaaaahhhhhhh.......... just in case anybody is interested.
I would have to look but I believe my load is something like 5.9 of 800X :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, I'm lovin' my Chargemaster Combo 1500 too. For load workups half a grain at a time, for max loads, and a few other chores it's great. For mid-range revolver loads by the hundreds or thousands I'm pretty comfortable with a powder measure. Each has its place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.