Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried searching and I've been browsing the forum off & on for a few says now. I'm looking for some tips on carrying while driving. Here in FL, if I'm not at work or church, I'm wearing shorts almost every day. Pocket carry (preferred most of the time) is about like not even having a weapon when it's under a seat belt. Ankle carry with shorts is out. Is IWB with shirt tail out the only remaining option? What do you guys in warm climates do?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use carry with a LC9 IWB kydex holster like Crossbreed holster. I will also carry a LCP in a wallet style holster in my back pocket.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I've been researching this also. I'm not in a warm climate as FL, but would like to have better access to my firearm while driving. The only options I've come across are some sort of cross draw rig, or having a completely different firearm that is more accessible while driving. I've been looking at Grassburr Holsters that are mountable in various locations in your vehicle. I'm still debating whether this is a viable option or not. Here in Indiana firearm laws are mostly friendly , but I'm not sure how an officer would react to a gun mount such as those.
Looking forward to hearing others opinions.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Fanny pack.....

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I also live in Florida and have the same dilemma as you. MJB has the best solution that I have found. It is simple and it works.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mount a holster to your steering column, or someplace where you can access it but it remains out of sight. As you get in the car, remove from pocket and holster under dash. As you exit car, un holster and as you stand up, lan into the car and re holster on waist / in pocket

·
Registered
863 Posts
Mount a holster to your steering column, or someplace where you can access it but it remains out of sight. As you get in the car, remove from pocket and holster under dash. As you exit car, un holster and as you stand up, lan into the car and re holster on waist / in pocket
I agree,...I have holsters mounted in all my vehicles that are located directly under the steering wheel within reach. It is very convenient. I use a compact .45 double stack and when I stop it goes under the seat and out of sight. That way I never have to unholster my main sidearm and switch carry positions.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Desantis makes a pocket holster for cargo short leg pockets, it's longer so it fits perfect in the bottom without any movement.
I use one of those for my LCP, and it has a slot for an extra magazine as well.

Steve

·
Administrator
22,163 Posts
Before I get in the vehicle I take my 642 and holster out of the pocket and push it down between the 60/40 seats. In my truck with the center console swung down and me sitting there it isn't visible outside the truck. When I exit the truck I slip them back into my front pocket.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Duluth Trading Company offers a number of options for shirts with long tails - designed to combat plumber's crack - but also serves concealed carry nicely.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I pocket carry, when I get in the car I move my weapon to my center console, when I exit the car, I put it back in my pocket. If I have a long enough shirt on I will IWB carry.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What a great collection of ideas. Thanks, everyone. For now, I think I'll go with MJB's idea. Can't beat the price. When I wear shorts, they are always cargo shorts. In fact, I'll be buying pants with that capability from now on. (Just got my permit this past weekend.) I'm not sure about leaving it in the open. Center console is another option.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Cargo pocket in the car, move to front pocket when leaving car.
I also live in Florida and have the same dilemma as you. MJB has the best solution that I have found. It is simple and it works.
This is my choice as well.
If I am driving alone, I place my LCR9 in the storage shelf/cup holder in the driver's door where it fits nicely.
When exiting, I return it to my front pocket.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup! I'm definitely going with the cargo shorts pocket and looking for more cargo pants for "winter." This is a great forum. I hope someday I can be as helpful as you all have been to me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.