Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
So I'm new to the forums. So anyway about 2 days ago I bought a ruger charger. Awesome little pistol but haven't had much range time yet. So I'm going to be hunting small game with this pistol and so far have tried 2 kinds of ammo remington thunderbolt and winchester super x. Now surprisingly the thunderbolt ammo grouped better than the winchester and i can put all 15 shots dead bullseye. But I've heard awful reviews of the thunderbolt casing separation etc. So I guess my question is what's good reliable ammo for this gun?

·
Banned
3,356 Posts
I heard all the bad stuff about Thunderbolt, but I never had a problem once. After close to 1000 rounds I give it a thumbs up. The worst I've tried is the Federal 325 in a can, and the 333 packs of Winchester. I also had several bad CCI Stingers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I shot close to 50 rds yesterday and the thunderbolt ammo did ok. It was shooting better than winchester ammo. And winchester did a good job in this gun thunderbolt was just a little better. Only problem I ran into yesterday was 2 or 3 failure to feeds and I don't know if it was where those round might have been a little underpowered. Didn't get to try the remington yellow jacket ammo. Need to buy some cci and give them a try as well.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
There is some other nice ammo out there although I prefer CCI. I have some Norma and some Geco that have good prices. Bullets.com has the Norma stuff in stock all the time anywhere from $4.95 to $5.45 per box of 50. You can get the Norma and Geco at SG, too.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Thunderbolts occasionally won't cycle my semi-autos, but they usually shoot well for me. Reliability means shooting CCI for me, though some match ammo does better.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
My Charger really likes Thunderbolts. It groups tighter with T-Bolts than it does with either Federal Automatch of CCI AR Tactical (guess it isn't TactiCOOL enough for that ammo).

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Hi all,
So I'm new to the forums. So anyway about 2 days ago I bought a ruger charger. Awesome little pistol but haven't had much range time yet. So I'm going to be hunting small game with this pistol and so far have tried 2 kinds of ammo remington thunderbolt and winchester super x. Now surprisingly the thunderbolt ammo grouped better than the winchester and i can put all 15 shots dead bullseye. But I've heard awful reviews of the thunderbolt casing separation etc. So I guess my question is what's good reliable ammo for this gun?
I have good success with Remington's Golden Bullet, which is good since I have 12,000. Right at a 1" group.

My best success, accuracy wise, is with Blazer 40 gr. ammo. It was under an inch at 25 yards.

All have been reliable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts