Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Does different grips affect point of aim? I changed my Single Six factory to grips to hogue monogrip to get better grip of the gun, allthough the factory ones were not bad either.

I tryed my new grips today on the range and found out that POI was lower than with the factory grips, when point of aim was the same as before. I have been using the factory manual suggested sight picture that the black ball on the target if just above the sight picture. Now with these new grips I needed to aim to the bulls eye to hit the bulls eye.

I don't think that the installation went wrong, because it was quite easy.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,682 Posts
72rta, Grips don't affect sights but they will influence what happens after you pull the trigger. It's called "lock time" .... the time it takes for the hammer to fall once the trigger sear is released. Single action revolvers just happen to have the longest lock time of any handgun. During lock time, which seems instant, your hands can move the revolver quite a bit. For each .008" of sight movement, the bullet will strike about 1" off at 25 yards. As a reference, your fingernails are about .030" thick so if the gun moved just the thickness of a fingernail, the bullet would strike about 3.75" off.

Here's a little trick you can try. Have a friend load and observe your gun while you shoot. The gun should be loaded with 3 or 4 rounds in some random order that you don't know. When you get a "click - no bang", chances are your hands are doing a swan dive, causing low point of impact.

Many people buy grips because they look nice ... not because they fit nice. IMO, well fitting grips are the single most important issue for accurate shooting. I've yet to see a set of "plow handle" grips on a SA revolver that really fit anyone. You have a couple choices .... practice with the grips you bought and try to control "anticipated recoil", which is the natural tendency to pull your the gun down just as it fires to compensate for the 22's slight recoil. Obviously the other option is to try a different set of grips.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But wouldn't adjusting point of impact higher solve it? Allthough it won't solve the base problem, the shooters grip.. 😁

1 - 3 of 3 Posts