Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have had an issue with my 10/22 TD working well with my Butler Creek mag...the fit on the sides is tight, but there is a fraction of an inch movement front to back. If I hold the mag while shooting just right, it will feed fine. M friends steel lips work similar. There are no issues whatsoever with the Ruger 10 rd mag at all. I will purchase the BX-25 from Ruger and hope this works better. Any suggestions/similar experiences?

·
Registered
26 Posts
hi pyro .. it seems the plastic lip mag has problems .. the steel lip not so much .. the BX25 is the way to go .. cost more but dependable ..

there might be a fix for the other after market ones .. check RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! ..

SB

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I have one BX-25 and one Tactical Innovations 25...

I would rather have one TI-25 than two BX-25...both have pros and cons...

The con on the BX-25 is it is very loose fit and you cannot hold it while shooting and expect it to function well all the time...

The TI-25 is a pita to adjust the fit and requires tinkering and break-in but is tight fitting as can be and once properly set up you can hold it or not...it won't move...

If you need really fast mag changes for run and gun the bx-25 will change out much faster...on the other hand...it is more prone to malfunction IMO...

The TI-25 I am referring to has plastic body and steel lips and cost about $35...

I don't regret getting the BX-25 but also don't plan on getting another one...

TI25™ ADVANCED COMPOSITE ADJUSTABLE STEEL LIP MAGAZINE FOR

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have both the BX-25 and the Butler Creek p/l, and have experienced the same problems. The BX and the stock 10 feed fine, but the B/C is erratic and the spring tension isn't as good as the Ruger mags.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've tried virtually every hi-cap mag for the 10/22 over the years, and while some worked well enough if used with the right ammo none of them ever had reliability even approaching what you normally get with the factory 10-round rotary. The absolute worst were the Ram-Line mags, more appropriately dubbed "Jam-Line" by most folks who used them. The Butler Creeks are better, but still not reliable enough avoid embarassment when shooting with buddies using other firearms. I recently bought a couple of BX-25s and they've been good so far, but I honestly haven't used them enough at this point to pass judgement on them. I may try one of the TI mags as well at some point just to see, but I think the issue may be related to the simple fact that the 10/22 wasn't originally designed to use long banana mags.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've had good luck with Butler Creek's 25 round steel lips. My first one lasted about 15K rounds at least. I clean them after every shooting the best I can but on the first one I stupidly shot some brake cleaner in it one day and after about 2K rounds it started failing. I bought another one and it's been great for about 3K rounds.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I've tried virtually every hi-cap mag for the 10/22 over the years, and while some worked well enough if used with the right ammo none of them ever had reliability even approaching what you normally get with the factory 10-round rotary. The absolute worst were the Ram-Line mags, more appropriately dubbed "Jam-Line" by most folks who used them. The Butler Creeks are better, but still not reliable enough avoid embarassment when shooting with buddies using other firearms. I recently bought a couple of BX-25s and they've been good so far, but I honestly haven't used them enough at this point to pass judgement on them. I may try one of the TI mags as well at some point just to see, but I think the issue may be related to the simple fact that the 10/22 wasn't originally designed to use long banana mags.I couldn't agree with the post above more...
I couldn't agree with dsk more...

I will add along that line that I also got the tri-mag holder for three factory 10 rounders...

It has it's own pros and cons...glad I got it...it was cheap at midway...it works as intended but I don't like it enough to use it...wouldn't buy it again...

Alangator TriMag Triple Mag Coupler Ruger 10/22 Polymer Black

I like the TI-25 best of all the hi-caps...

I should also add with regard to the NEARLY perfect 10 round rotary mags from the factory that since I got the power custom lever mag release swapping 10 rounders is so fast...they load fast...they swap super-fast with the lever release...are the most reliable and least hassle...don't protrude from the bottom which is really sweet for off hand shooting...

I load up the 25s with bulk ammo just to see how fast I can empty them...that is about all they are good for to me really... :D

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Since there are tons of pics of BX-25 and Butlers on the net already and not so many of the TI-25 here is one...

It also shows the Power Custom mag release...which I love...and has made having three factory 10 round rotary mags the best choice for me all things considered...

No I cannot get 25 rounds off in the same time swapping 10 round magazines so don't think I am saying that...just saying that the lever release with 10 round mags is sweet...

Before I had the old style mag release...which I thought was nice not having a protrusion...however it was a pita to use on the 10 rounders...I actually prefer the old style mag release with the 25 round mags...

I also tried the TI paddle mag release...I really and truly did not like it at all...period...would not buy it again...I can see where a run and gun type would want one tho...just wish I had gone strait to the lever release to begin with and save time and money...it has the best of all worlds IMO...fast...easy...low profile does not interfere with off hand shooting...

Power Custom Competition Extended Mag Release Ruger 10/22 Aluminum

I should also note I had to remove some material from that lever to get it to fit right but it was well worth the effort and the money...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a couple Shooter's Ridge 25 rounders and they have worked with no problems for years, once the corner is rounded off where the bolt hits it. I also have a Butler Creek w/plastic lips and it does not work. I noticed the SR feed lips match the Ruger's but the BC's do not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts