Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made the decision to carry because of a close call this past year. I've bought the gun, took a pistol safety course through the gun club I joined, spent time at the range getting familiar with the gun, but I'm reading and seeing all the negatives about the legal problems a person will encounter if you have to take a life of the so-called ''bad guy'' while trying to protect yourself, your family or a innocent bystander. I'm not referring to a situation at home or on your own property, but a encounter away from your home. Does anyone know of books, videos or of a speaker that could give us some guidance ? I've actually stopped carrying because of this since I don't want to be arrested and have to defend myself plus put myself and family at financial risk ?
Th NRA has a page in their magazine which I believe is called The Armed Citizen which gives situations that have happened with people having to shoot someone, but I think they make it look far to simple. Give me your thoughts and any info you can provide. Thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
First of all check your particular states laws pertaining to self-defense, particularly with lethal force.
Stand-your-ground law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Obviously any such actions will be scrutinized but your background history, overall deportment and professional standing is also considered. It would behoove you to sign up for a few tactical pistol courses with some good trainers; they’re not cheap and will require a time investment on your own part. Never adopt an attitude of assuming a handgun safety course or HCP course coupled with range time is sufficient enough to get you by. It’s not; taking on the responsibility of carrying a handgun means continued training with competent instructors. Maybe you can’t attend a training course every year, or even every other year but save your money and make it a point to do so as often as you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not that I've never been around guns and have went out a bought a gun just for protection. I hunted for many years starting out when I was 12 years old which was 57 years ago. I had to give up hunting when I started working shifts, but I'm confortable around firearms. And you're right, I planned on taking whatever courses I can, but the bottom line is my concern of having to use deadly force and having to defend myself in court and the possibility of personal lawsuits against me. Even being aquitted of all charges could wipe a person out financially. That's why I'm at a cross road wondering if taking the extra training is a waste of my time.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
but the bottom line is my concern of having to use deadly force and having to defend myself in court and the possibility of personal lawsuits against me. Even being aquitted of all charges could wipe a person out financially. That's why I'm at a cross road wondering if taking the extra training is a waste of my time.
You may want to look at an umbrella policy on your insurance. I carry 2 million worth of protection (from lawyers). It is included in with my policy, but if my memory is correct it is about 125 a year. I recall they asked if I had a dog, trampoline or swimming pool. Guess we see what items cause lawsuits.
I am on the hook for any judgement over 2M

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm reminded of a story I was told by a friend. His friend had encountered a bear in a national forest area and happened to be carrying a revolver. The bear had tree'd him and he placed a few well aimed shots and killed the bear. Afterwards, he'd told the forest ranger and was told he would be fined for "bear hunting" out of season. He told the ranger "I don't give a damn what you charge me, I'm alive."

Now obviously, it's not a direct translation to your situation, but here's my take. I'd rather face a lawsuit or bankruptcy than let someone kill me. Definitely look up your state laws on self defense, but if it comes down to someone killing you, stopping them becomes a priority. Why do I carry? Because I read the newspaper. People get a bit more bat s**t insane every day.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Great question followed up with great responses.
Thanks to all!

·
Banned
402 Posts
Leave it home till you figure it out, you wont pull it out if in doubt.
It sounds like your decision to get the permit jumped ahead of your decision to use it.
There are many people that think the same way, for some it just makes them feel good to know it's there, will they use it ? only they know the answer to that.
For some it's not a challenge,
" your going to do bodily harm to me or my family that may result in death "
" I think not "
Screw the 401K, to hell with the bank account, the house, the car, or the next vacation.
period end of story.
Taking a human life is a horrible thing to do, you don't get over it for a long time,
for some never. You don't just strap up for looks, or to see how many different ways you can carry, or what mods you can do to your pistol, or think waving it in the air deters crimes and attacks against your body. When you load that pistol and put it on your body it's for one thing only, to kill or destroy what you aim it at. I don't care what color it is or how pretty the grips are or how much you paid for the holster.
When you pull it and line that little front blade up with that little notch in the back
somethings going to happen.
You have been given some great advise about learning the laws in your state.
perhaps even talk to a good criminal Lawyer.
But the time to defend yourself is not the time to figure it out
If you can't get a handle on it--it's not a big deal, leave it home and enjoy all the other things the shooting sports have to offer.

It's not that I've never been around guns and have went out a bought a gun just for protection. I hunted for many years starting out when I was 12 years old which was 57 years ago.
means nothing in this case, totally different animal. I had to give up hunting when I started working shifts, but I'm confortable around firearms.Has nothing to do with what your problem is And you're right, I planned on taking whatever courses I can, Get your mind set right first but the bottom line is my concern of having to use deadly force and having to defend myself in courtTalk to an Lawyer and the possibility of personal lawsuits against me. Even being aquitted of all charges could wipe a person out financially.I think this is your biggest problem That's why I'm at a cross road wondering if taking the extra training is a waste of my time. I will give you a little help, IMHO yes it is, no one on this or any forum can answer your question
But think of this, if your dead all that money is going to get spent by someone else.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Graywolf1, you're dam right it's my biggest problem ! Why should I have spent my entire life working and saving so that my wife and I can have a comfortable retirement, and because some low life tries to hurt or kill us lets say in a mall parking lot and I defend myself, I have to use up all my money to defend myself because I did the right thing. Apparently you can't comprehend the situation of having to take a life and then slowly see all you've worked for get eaten up because you defended yourself and did the RIGHT thing. It's just not right that this can happen to a innocent person just trying to keep themselves alive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Andamo, I think you're right that it's unfair that an innocent person can get slammed by defending themselves. I think you've very unfairly accused Graywolf1 about being young or that he "don't have anything" if he can talk about 401k or a bank account. You can't seem to comprehend being broke. Try being dead. The point isn't that what you've saved is getting drained by the legal system. The point is that if you are wishy washy about carrying, and you get attacked, then you've no one to blame but yourself if you or a loved one gets fatally injured, as you have already had a close call which made you want to carry to begin with. I don't mean this offensively, but by this thread alone, you seem to be a person who lives on their emotions. You wanted to carry because of an incident, then you didn't want to because you're afraid of litigation. Now you're mad at Graywolf1 for having been honest. Do what you want to do, but i'd suggest getting your emotions in check if you want to carry. You can't let your life or someone else's hinge on you testing your ability to remain calm. Bottom line, it's your finances and your life. You have to decide what's important to you.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
interesting other thread in the tavern related to this. check out the texas law shield thread.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Becoming indecisive or hesitant to carry a handgun once you've thought about the civil litigation aspects of it isn't something new. You reduce risk with professional training and avoiding dangerous or problem areas.Just having a handgun doesn't make you any safer but does provide a means of protection in the worst of circumstances. The bottom line is stay away from trouble but be prepared if it finds you. In the end though if a person decides not to carry a handgun after obtaining a carry permit then so be it, I support their free will to decide for themselves.

·
Registered
584 Posts
As for books, Ayoob's Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry is particularly good (and conservative) on these questions. He's also done several others-his classic In The Gravest Extreme also can help a person make these difficult decisions for themself. My first priority is protecting the lives of those I care about, even knowing the reality that protecting them and myself may be costly. Reality is what it is. But Ayoob can help you make your own decisions in these areas. Some think he overstates the risks of using a firearm, but I think he is simply realistic. He is nonetheless a strong CCW advocate after 30 years acting as an expert witness in shootings. I carry when legal, was glad I do last week. But that's another story for its own thread when I get the chance.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not to ask a stupid question, but on what insurance, homeowners? Or, is this
a policy all of its own.
It's an add on to your homeowner's policy, but a stand alone policy can also be obtained. You will see difference's from state to state, just sit down and speak with your agent.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Apparently you can't comprehend the situation of having to take a life Apparently you my friend weren't in any choppers with me either,
or standing next to me in a dark ally in Co. when I was on the job and in a exchanging rounds with some dirt bag trying to keep me from having breakfast. SO DON"T tell me about life and taking one. and then slowly see all you've worked for get eaten up because you defended yourself and did the RIGHT thing. Try the alternative, who is going to spend your money if your dead ?It's just not right that this can happen to a innocent person just trying to keep themselves alive.
I'll tell you what, you pushed a few buttons and at this point I could give a rats Pa-toot what you think, but with a mind set like yours, do your self a favor and forget the gun carrying, just hope the bad guy doesn't practice to much.
P A F U the P is for priority you figure out the rest.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It's not that I've never been around guns and have went out a bought a gun just for protection. I hunted for many years starting out when I was 12 years old which was 57 years ago. I had to give up hunting when I started working shifts, but I'm confortable around firearms. And you're right, I planned on taking whatever courses I can, but the bottom line is my concern of having to use deadly force and having to defend myself in court and the possibility of personal lawsuits against me. Even being aquitted of all charges could wipe a person out financially. That's why I'm at a cross road wondering if taking the extra training is a waste of my time.
It's up to you whether you feel your life or the life of your loved ones is worth more then the threat of litigation. Personally, I'd choose bankruptcy if it came down to it.

You can talk with some lawyers in your area specializing in this type of thing. You may be able to get a free consultation. I believe their are some CCW clubs that offer some support in this area. The USCCA looks like one of them.

Also, try not to be too negative or emotional, or you might get yourself or someone else killed if that dreaded moment ever came.

·
Registered
135 Posts
May I suggest obtaining a membership with the NRA.

They have some great videos and training seminars listed, they may have some opportunities available to you.

Also, they have automatic coverage, as a NRA member, for shooting incidents if you happen to be involved in one. You can add to your coverage if you choose to. If your concern is liability and financial pitfalls, the NRA coverage is the way to go. I have mine and feel at ease.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
An attourney on retainer, or the insurance policy rider might be a good way to go.

Also remember the facts; the vast majority of carriers never have to resort to their guns for protection, and among those who do, an even smaller percentage actually have to fire them. I have seen figures that only 1 in 50 such incidents result in firing. The BG usually just sees his "easy" target suddenly turn into a threat and backs off.

And remember the old adage; It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Still, if you are really unsure about carrying then don't do it. Take some time to settle your thoughts on the matter. It is a serious issue, especially with so many eager shysters out there waiting to drain your bank accounts so that they can have the lastest model of Lexus.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts