Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if such a thing is possible, adding or changing the factory fitted guide rod for a full length one?

What are the pros and cons?

BTW this would be for a Lightweight Commander 9mm.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,364 Posts
Tommo, Yes, it is very possible. I have one in my Colt Commander.

You can get a "two piece" that uses an Allen wrench to take apart, or you can get a one piece rod that looks like the factory spring guide …. except it is longer.

The purpose is to add a few ounces of weight to the front end of the pistol. The gun doesn't function any different but field stripping is a bit more complicated. Except for "braggin' rights" and a little added weight, there's really no need for a full length guide rod.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..The purpose is to add a few ounces of weight to the front end of the pistol...
I think it might benefit from that. It can be a little 'flippy' at the muzzle. Any particular make you'd recommend?

(actually my only resource would be Brownells UK..!!)

Cheers.:)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,364 Posts
I have a Wilson full length guide rod in my Commander. These are available through Brownell's in the US but I don't know about the UK.

Here's Brownell's part number: 965-025-002WB

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I would not. You are adding some weight at the muzzle end, but not much. Now, a flat wire recoil spring spreads the recoil absorption out and helps with recoil "feel". That would require you to change the guide rod out as well. To use a full length guide rod, I believe you will also need to change the bushing?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
To use a full length guide rod, I believe you will also need to change the bushing?
You can use the same bushing.

If someone was thinking about getting a F/L guide rod I’d go with the two piece vs the solid one. I have both and the solid rod can make reassembly a PITA. I don’t claim it helps but I like having F/L rods.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
734 Posts
Iowegan: The gun doesn't function any different but field stripping is a bit more complicated. Except for "braggin' rights" and a little added weight, there's really no need for a full length guide rod.
That's my experience as well...Rod

·
Registered
444 Posts
For my part, I'm in the camp of the benefits don't outweigh the negatives. One old timer at the range is fond of saying that a full length guide rod is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

That's my vote, at least.

Best of Luck -

Bayou52

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
isle

I think it might benefit from that. It can be a little 'flippy' at the muzzle. Any particular make you'd recommend?

(actually my only resource would be Brownells UK..!!)

Cheers.:)
You mention owning a hnadgun. This is illegal in most of Great Britain. So I assume the Isle of Man is a crown peculiarity like the Channel islands.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You mention owning a hnadgun. This is illegal in most of Great Britain. So I assume the Isle of Man is a crown peculiarity like the Channel islands.
Yes indeed it is. A Crown Dependency, but with a much older history than the Channel Islands.

Any handgun is permissible here, there are even a couple of .50's about - and I'm not talking black powder types. The problem here lies in the fact that, because all handguns are banned in the UK, I can't order stuff because no-one will ship it to the UK..!! Even our national shooting team had to pull out of the Island Games due to the fact it was being held in Gibraltar and unless they flew there direct, they wouldn't be able to take their guns through the UK..!!

I can't even get Ruger grips for my SR1911...!! Oooh they're wood, they must be really dangerous..!!!:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I can't even get Ruger grips for my SR1911...!! Oooh they're wood, they must be really dangerous..!!!:mad::mad::mad:
Can't be too careful when it comes to splinters. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts