Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Some say promag metal are ok. They are hit or miss in my experience. Your mileage may vary. For high cap I would stick with 20 round ruger factory mags.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Some say promag metal are ok. They are hit or miss in my experience. Your mileage may vary. For high cap I would stick with 20 round ruger factory mags.
Precision Mag (PMI) although I don't think are made any longer. You can still find some new for sale though. I had a 20 rd one and it worked fine. I have heard PMI made mags for Ruger but I cannot confirm this. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I found some Ruger original 20 round mags marked for "LE or military use only". Can't remember where I found them online. I'll see if I can find the link again and post it.

Ed

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
ruger factory mags---while high dollar---are in my opinion worth every penny.

aftermarket mags for the mini 14 have been a night mare for me in the past. Its been a while but it ran something like this

25% of them would function with no problems
25% of them would function after i worked on them
50% of them---no hope and not reliable at all.

my opinion---in the long run, the factory mags are cheaper.............or should i say less expensive........

other folks may have had better luck, but i've been snake-bit on after-market mags too many times...

·
Banned
282 Posts
There is an awful lot of junk out there in the after market magazine market. Your best bet will be to spend a lot of money on good, quality stuff. I got some pure junk at a "really good price" at a gun show many moons ago, and came to understand "you get what you pay for." I was able to fix about half of them with factory magazine followers I bought from Ruger. The rest have been sent to their final reward at the scrap metal bin.

I have purchased Thermold and RamLine 30 rounders that have never let me down, despite mucho-many rounds. Yeah, I know. They're plastic (polymer), but honest, they work very very well. I was lucky to buy a couple of factory 20 round mags from a friend.

Mini with 30 rd. RamLine magazine

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a few USA SS mags that do work well, seems that the feed lips are much stronger and stay put. Never had any trouble with them. Other USA ones I have tried are garbage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought one 30 round aftermarket mag and had to play with it to get it to work right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only aftermarket mags I've ever had work for me were the Thermolds. But, the plastic construction never filled me with confidence.

I'm pretty much 100% partial to factory 20 rounders only for serious use.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Factory Mini-14 mags

I recently bought four 20 rd. factory mags new in Ruger packaging Marked for LEO use only. These came from www.cheaperthandirt.com and cost about $60.00 apiece, maybe a little expensive but had no luck at all with several so called good aftermarket mags, even the Pro Mags( metal and polymer) failed to feed and wouldn't hold the bolt open after the last round. The factory one feed 20 rounds out as fast as you can squeeze the trigger and always locked the bolt back after the last round. Wound up using the Pro Mags as target practice Holeshot 308:cool: :cool: BTW, if you'd like a smoother trigger pull Randy at www.ct-precision.com will do a trigger job and install a trigger overtravel screw fo $50.00 plus $7.00 for s/h. He's got mine right now and he just sent back two 10/22 bolts that he reworked for me and they look GREAT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Aftermarket are hit and miss..... I bought 15 a few years back and 2 out of the 15 worked 100%...

Some people have called Ruger asking about the 20 rd factory mags that arent in stock on Rugers website. Supposedly they are tooling up for a run of them here at the end of the year.....

Here is Rugers Cust svc email link, if anyone else wants to throw some emails there way asking about 20 rd mags it couldnt hurt....

http://ruger.com/Firearms/Pop-SupportEmail.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
The best woking high cap magazines for these seem to be the 40 round tripple k clips. If you read into the customer reviews on Midway USA's website this is the opinoin most people have come to after buying and returning the thirty rounders in favor of the fourty round ones. I would think 40 rounds would be pretty heavy to carry around but nothing says you cant just put 20 or 30 in it instead, saves on the spring too. As of today they are out of stock on these.....

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have good luck with the John Masen 20 round mags. I have one 30 rounder, but once you get mags with really large capacity, the rifle becomes heavy and shooting from a prone position or from a rest becomes a problem.

And FWIW, Ruger does have factory 20 round mags available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts