Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing any replacement trigger offered by any company. Even Ruger won't sell you a trigger as a part - they consider it a fitted part and would require you send them the gun for fitting. In the past there were trigger shoes and I've seen them on older S&W revolvers that didn't have a wider target trigger. But I don't know if there's a trigger shoe available for the SP101.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
A wider trigger would be interesting. In the past I have had one made for a Colt Python and a Magnum Carry. The problem with doing this for a Ruger is unlike a S&W or Colt it does not have a sideplate. If it was widened much I doubt one could get it into the trigger assembly unless a wide spot was milled into the slot to allow the trigger face to be inserted into the trigger housing. Then, that would allow debris easier access to the action and might be unsightly. The trigger shoe, as mentioned by Waveform, would be the alternative.

If there were a way to get the trigger into the trigger housing one could build up the trigger by welding and shape to the desired contour. I have had this done on both cast and MIM parts. In the past, when he was in business, Jim Stroh used to offer "target hammer" modifications on Redhawk hammers as an instance.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Tyler Manufacturing and Distribution Company, Inc

They make a trigger shoe. That might do it for you.
I feel compelled to warn the OP if he goes this route that trigger shoes are somewhat dangerous if you to to re-holster your gun with one. Back in the day when they where somewhat popular, many times people had their gun go off re-holstering his gun with a trigger shoe attached.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel compelled to warn the OP if he goes this route that trigger shoes are somewhat dangerous if you to to re-holster your gun with one. Back in the day when they where somewhat popular, many times people had their gun go off re-holstering his gun with a trigger shoe attached.
Ditto. A DIY solution to achieve the "feel" of a wider trigger is to flatten the face to the trigger (I use a dremel and the medium grit grinding stone, followed by the 3/4" emery wheel). Blend gently at the edges for a nice, chamfered look.

Shoes may also slip unexpectedly, unless you drill a slight depression for the set-screw(s) and LT Red the screws in place.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Reaffirming here - wide triggers don't work in Rugers. They work in Smiths and Taurus's with sideplates, because you drop the trigger into the receiver from the side - Ruger's don't work that way, they have to slip through a hole in the fire control housing.

Shoes are your only option.

A properly molded holster with accommodations made for trigger shoes will not have any issue for safety. Developing the muscle memory to stick the tip of your finger behind the trigger, or hold your thumb against the hammer spur as you reholster will prevent AD's, and are a good habit to develop even without trigger shoes.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I like trigger shoes, I have them on some on some of my Rugers, namely a 4" Speed Six I worked over and use primarily as a range gun. Trigger shoes are primarily for single action target work, but they work well if you have longer fingers like me for DA shooting too. Put a drop of red Loctite on those tiny screw threads and snug them down.........if you want to go a step further, make light divots in the side of the trigger by hand turning a drill bit that's a little larger than the set screws . Snug the screws down when you have the shoe positioned, remove the shoe, use the marks made by the screws on the side of the trigger, and use the drill bit to make the divots. The screws will sit in the divots and the shoe will not "shift". Boom, instant "target trigger".

They are kind of a "vintage" thing, they were popular more about the 50's - 70's time frame, guys like Jim Cirillo liked them, back when people still fired DA revolvers primarily in SA. When "tactical DA" shooting was the norm, trigger shoes kind of died off. They were a cheap, easy way to widen a trigger without fitting a target trigger to a S&W or Colt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts