Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought 5000 rounds of it a few years back when a local Academy had a sale on it. Neither of my .22 semi auto pistols liked it, a Beretta Neos and a S&W Victory. Can’t remember the exact problem but I think it was extraction problems leading to double feeds. But both my .22 rifles liked it fine, a Browning SA22 and a 10/22. So I confined it to the rifles and all was fine.
Last year my 10/22 started failing to extract a round of it occasionally. A bit of research led me to believe it was more the 10/22’s extractor than the Aguila. I put a Volquartsen extractor in the 10/22 and it was back to working fine with the Aguila. The SA22 has never had a problem with it, but it has a tool steel extractor unlike the stamped steel extractor the 10/22 had.
So long winded way of saying it shoots fine in both my .22 rifles but not my .22 semi auto pistols.
And of course my Aguila is a much earlier batch than what’s on sale now.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I bought some because it was available and stored it. With all the comments about how it smells, now I have to shoot it. I’m curious.
To me it smells like 'normal' Eley ammo (they reportedly use/used Eley priming) but it has been a while since I have found Eley so .....
The brick I bought last summer has worked fine in my TX-22, have not tried it in anything else yet.

Bruce

·
Registered
455 Posts
When things were normal two years ago (between the 2014 shortage and the 2020 shortage!) Aguila ammo was often the cheapest you could get.
I tried a few loadings and was stunned that it is really good and better than some of the bigger names. For example, Golden Bullets and WW are two of the most inaccurate and failure prone ammos I've ever fired in my guns while the Aguila is as good as my CCI and Federal. JMO.

All the Aguila I've tried is as accurate as comparable loadings in the other brands. I say that because the hyper-velocity stuff is inaccurate no matter who makes it. Again, JMO.

I don't hunt so shoot mostly SV in my rifles and pistols (for accuracy). Both CCI and Aguila are consistent and excellent.
Two years ago, 5.5K rounds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
With all the positive comments makes me wish I would have bought more the guy at the store said it would all be gone by Saturday evening .

·
Registered
564 Posts
I bought a couple of cases last year and have had no problems with them. I was able to find the 250 round boxes ( I paid too much ) so I'm good for this years competitions.

·
Registered
678 Posts
That's a good price for these days. I have shot thousands of rounds of that stuff. Was getting it for $20 for 500 pre covid.
I generally like the bulk packaging they used to have with individual trays of 50 rounds, but I have had good luck even with their bulk pack.

I picked up some subsonic lead hollow points last week in Aguila, 38 grain I think, can't wait to try it out.

Reactions: Jack Ruger

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bought some years ago but in 30 carbine.
Ran dirty in my M1 Carbine.
Never tried the 22LR after the disappointment of the 30 carbine.

·
Registered
678 Posts
When things were normal two years ago (between the 2014 shortage and the 2020 shortage!) Aguila ammo was often the cheapest you could get.
I tried a few loadings and was stunned that it is really good and better than some of the bigger names. For example, Golden Bullets and WW are two of the most inaccurate and failure prone ammos I've ever fired in my guns while the Aguila is as good as my CCI and Federal. JMO.

All the Aguila I've tried is as accurate as comparable loadings in the other brands. I say that because the hyper-velocity stuff is inaccurate no matter who makes it. Again, JMO.

I don't hunt so shoot mostly SV in my rifles and pistols (for accuracy). Both CCI and Aguila are consistent and excellent.
Two years ago, 5.5K rounds.
View attachment 154843
I don't advertise how much .22 LR I have... I could supply a few small shops :) But I usually shoot 300-500 rounds a trip...

Reactions: Jack Ruger

·
Registered
393 Posts
Good stuff, comparable to CCI. Never had a problem, other than I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), its made in Mexico.
I've not had any problems with Aguila ammo.
I prefer "made in Mexico" to "made in China"...... or California, for that matter. :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Aguila Super Extra is high on my favorites list, after CCI mini mags and ELEY Target, for handgun shooting. The only gun I've found that will NOT shoot it, among my own and my few friends' guns is one Ruger SR22.

My Browning 1911-22 seems to be the least ammo picky of my 3 brands of .22lr handguns, so she doesn't get fed the Aguila, but has to eat the Geco (GREAT AMMO if it works in your gun!) and the Armscor HP rounds. My Ruger Mark IV Lite is the most picky, and my M&P .22 compacts are happy with several brands, but not Geco.

Yes, the Aguila primer does stink, and I have to remember to not shoot it at an indoor range because the smell stays in my nose for many hours and it is not pleasant. Same for my ELEY ammo.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I haven't tried the Aguila HV ammo yet, only the Super Extra stuff with no gunpowder. That stuff is junk IMO. I was waiting to read some reviews before buying the HV variety. I'll give it a try when I find some at a somewhat reasonable price.

Randy99CL said:
I find hyper-velocity ammo is extremely accurate when fired from a short barrelled pistol. Probably because it stays subsonic. But I have to agree that accuracy is terrible when fired from a rifle. I quit shooting my hyper-velocity stuff in semi-autos because it tends to pound the actions pretty hard. It's now only revolver fodder for me.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I got 2 500 round boxes of the Aguila and had 3 no fires from the first box. Half way thru the second box and have had 13 no fire rounds so far, I tried to refire them multiple times but no luck.
The ones that fired worked well and it is accurate from 2 CZ rifles, a Savage A-22 and Buckmark Target pistol.

·
Registered
489 Posts
View attachment 154825 View attachment 154825 Was at the local rural king and purchased a box of 500 rounds for $27.99 plus tax never heard of this brand I guess take what you can get. View attachment 154825
It can be hit or miss.

I bought a bunch of it like several thousand rounds because it was cheap like 5 cents/round at the time. I've found that the 50 round boxes were more reliable than the bulk boxes.

At time of writing, a bulk box like that but of Super Extra Hollow Points is not highly reliable.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts