Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I know what you were thinking...... nope Lever Guns just turn my crank. I wish these were mine, but there not.... but sure would like to fondle these... and shoot'em too :D

Model 336C in 30-30 or .35 Remington

Model 1895 in 45-70

Model 1895CB in 45-70

·
Registered
880 Posts
JB....

There's just something about a lever gun that makes a guy feel adequately prepared fer' about anything...I'm quite content with a good ol'thirty-thirty, be it Marlin or Winchester and, preferably, an older one...

Do understand your sentiments...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

quote:Originally posted by Jody Johnson

JB....

There's just something about a lever gun that makes a guy feel adequately prepared fer' about anything...I'm quite content with a good ol'thirty-thirty, be it Marlin or Winchester and, preferably, an older one...

Do understand your sentiments...
Amigo you understand me loud and clear!

I used my son's Marlin 336CC, 30-30 this last year, and was so impressed I bought me an older Marlin Glenfield 30A also in 30-30. Back a bit ago.... meanin last year, I had to sell my 336C, 35 Remington and have been kickin myself ever since. Never, never again if you know what I mean.

But having the good ol tried and true 30-30, I don't feel the least bit under gunned or caliber'd :D

·
Registered
880 Posts
JB....

My "shootin'" 30-30 is a Glenfield also...made in 64'...plain-jane with a 2/3 mag, and just seems to shoot where you point it. She'll do, and your's too!

Those Glenfields are a lot of rifle fer th' bucks! And, Yessir, I DO understand about "never again!"

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Theres just somethin about these older Marlin/Glenfields that turn my crank..... I know I should probably re-finish the stock, but ya know what, it will just get scratched going off into the woods again.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I love that Win 94 ya got there... she sure looks like a 26" barrel'd lever gun in that picture. They really are the do all go to the woods gun.

Simply awesome [8D]

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Heavy woods is all I ever hunted in till I came to Florida. Even in the swamps theres a lot of cover and most shots are under 75yds. Out on the flats a 100yd shot is about max. So that old 30-30 does a fine job.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My Marlin 1895 .45-70 is wonderfully accurate and a good choice for Florida hunting. It would be the last rifle I would ever willingly part with.

The .45-70 -- the cartridge for folks who are more interested in what happens when the bullet arrives on target than in how quickly it gets there!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Here's my Model 94, belonged to my Dad.

You've probably already seen this amazingly good article by Stephen Hunter about the end of the Winchester 94:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/19/AR2006011903278.html

Here's a taste...

"How light it is, how quick to the shoulder, how pointable! It begs to come to the eye. It swiftly finds what's called the natural point of aim, the perfect equipoise between its own grace and its shooter's talent. There, it wants to be fired. It's knobless and trim yet hardly streamlined. It hails proudly from the pre-streamlined world. No ergonomic study went into its design, only the sound trial and error of Yankee genius that finally found the ideal form.

It's weirdly squarish, yet like other classic guns, it boasts an orchestration of lines of unusual harmony, which somehow seem to soothe the eye. The Colt Peacemaker revolver, the Tommy gun and the Luger have the same effect; all are instantly known and knowable. They have a design charisma that transcends their actual usage in the real world.

The funniest thing about the Winchester lever-action rifle is how American it looks. Its directness speaks to the honest greed of westward expansion, its reliability to the honest hunger of its manufacturers for the big houses it bought them, its toughness to the honest brutality by which it was employed in various arroyos and dry gulches. It lacks subterfuge, subtlety, pretension, airs. It's like the cowboy himself, elegant in its total lack of self-awareness. It's beyond irony or stylization. It's cool because it doesn't care what you or anybody thinks."

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,326 Posts
Violator22, Of course it counts! The Savage 99 is one of the best guns of the 20th century. Wish I had it.

I only have 5 lever guns and 3 of them are 22s. Marlin 39A Golden, Winchester 94-22 XTR, and a Henry Golden Boy. In center fire I have a Winchester Mod 94 30-30 (made in 1968) and a Marlin 1894C in 357 Mag.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks, I gotta get me a good 335 in 30-30 to get rechambered to 303. I am one of those that have oodles of that brass. Les

1 - 20 of 39 Posts