Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
JB

When I joined the Air Force in 1958 my first duty station was Malmstrom AFB in Gt. Falls. I can't even begin to express what it was like for a little Jewish kid from Cleveland Ohio to receive such a gift. While I was there I was exposed to hunting, fishing and the great outdoors. Never seen any of that in Cleveland. Only animals I ever seen were in a zoo or the two legged variety and running the streets downtown.

I truly learned to hunt and fish there, and I'll never forget it. Harvested my first deer there, a nice Muley, and the fishing was fantastic. Met my wife there also, although she was a North Dakota girl. She had a job as a dental assistant. In the early years of our marriage we spent a lot of time in the outdoors camping and flyfishing the mountain streams.

I'll never forget those times and the opportunity to breathe fresh air and experience the beautiful country. And my first child was born there 47 years ago this May.

I still feel as though I owe a debt to the people of Montana for letting me live there temporarily and allowing me to inhabit their great state.

It truly is a beautiful and great state.

Thanks for the beautiful remembrances and sharing the pictures.

Best wishes, Bill

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
When I was in high school, my sister's husband was an Air Force fighter pilot, stationed at Malmstrom. I went there for Christmas vacation my junior year. It was mighty cold - below zero the whole 10 days I was there. It was about the prettiest country I ever saw though. Went back the next summer and did some trout fishing with my brother-in-law. It is truly God's country! Thanks for the link J.B.! Brings back a lot of old memories.

·
Registered
58 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rman

When I was in high school, my sister's husband was an Air Force fighter pilot, stationed at Malmstrom. I went there for Christmas vacation my junior year. It was mighty cold - below zero the whole 10 days I was there. It was about the prettiest country I ever saw though. Went back the next summer and did some trout fishing with my brother-in-law. It is truly God's country! Thanks for the link J.B.! Brings back a lot of old memories.
Ah yes, The old 29th Fighter Interceptor Squadron. Good outfit.Back in the old? days there was an Interceptor Squadron in every state along the northern Border.

Best wishes, Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts