Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I shot up a few targets today. This one is pretty typical. This was 7 yards, standing, one cylinder each of single action and double action. 3" stick-on targets. If I could get rid of those strays I'd be doing alright!

I didn't really feel like there was much difference, I never have really, between my s/a performance and my d/a performance. So I put two targets on one sheet and did a test. Seven shots of single action on the left (last one in the box) and six shots of double action on the right.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Interesting targets. Thank you for posting them. I like to see what others are doing!

QUOTE>>
I didn't really feel like there was much difference, I never have really, between my s/a performance and my d/a performance. So I put two targets on one sheet and did a test. Seven shots of single action on the left (last one in the box) and six shots of double action on the right.
END QUOTE<<<

Well……you’re DA group is over twice as large, c-to-c, as your SA group…..and hard to say where that 7th DA shot might have landed. Smack in the middle of the DA group, hopefully!
I’ve not done much DA shooting yet. What little I have done, indicates that I have a lot of practice to do. I think that my DA groups would be _LOTS_ larger than my SA groups. It just seems like I am sooooo shaky.

Maybe the lighter Wolff springs I just installed will help. And I am going to immediately start doing regular DA target shooting. At 7 yards…….unless I can’t keep ‘em on the paper at 7 yds…….in which case I’ll probably start DA career at 5 yds.

From what I’ve seen of your posted targets, I think you’re a bit ahead of me. Looks to me like you are doing pretty good, and having fun in the process. I applaud the fact that you’re shooting as good as you are, without using a rest, and some of your shooting is evidentally fairly rapid, and some is also DA. Mine is all slow and deliberate, from a rest, and SA only. Understand, I am currently shooting this way cuz I am working on developing 2-3 good grouping hand loads. So by necessity, I feel I gotta eliminate as many variables as possible. But as soon as I get a few good loads developed, I’ll be shooting more in the style that you are using. That may bring shame upon my household…..heh, heh……..

fjLee Denver CO

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some of my shooting is rapid. That's fun. But my rapid targets aren't very good. I brought my holster and tried to draw, take two shots, holster. Repeat. That was fun, but I was very slow and deliberate while doing that. I was trying not to throw the gun downrange.

I know on paper my double action group is larger, but sometimes in double action I squeeze the trigger and feel the shot going right in the middle of the target and then realize that IS where it went! Very rewarding, though it doesn't happen that often. If I can capture that feeling more often I'll be better.

Today I wanted to try and get some good targets. But I think that most of my practicing will be done double action. Part of the appeal of the revolver, to me, is the mechanism. So classic, you know? I like the sound and feel and look of all the stuff that happens when you squeeze the trigger of the revolver. And when you cock it first, then fire, I don't know, it just loses some of its charm to me. Just as well, though, I'd rather get good at double action than, in a moment of crisis, have to take the extra step of cocking for single action because that's the only way I practice.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You are getting groups--not patterns----and they are getting smaller. Keep at it.
Be very carefull about S.A. The 1st time you aim and hit steel at 50 or 100 meters--you will get hooked on hunter/pistol. Then you will have to have a 6" gp. (Better yet, that 6.5" blackhawk to go with the marlin)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
STOP MENTIONING OTHER GUNS THAT I WOULD LOVE!!! I thought I was very clear. I have a problem!! You, Deputy, are an ENABLER!! :D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
:D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Practice, practice, practice... the speed will come in time. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
your doing better EddieF, aw we all have that problem. I doubt if it will ever get better worse yes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts