Ruger Forum banner

Aim where with charging black bear?

10K views 57 replies 31 participants last post by  Akboater 
#1 ·
If only armed with .44 magnum revolver, where best to aim for on a charging black bear?

#3 · (Edited)
Lungs-upper chest might be easier to hit verses a head shot.

I’ve been charged by a black bear when I thought I could take my bird feeder from it...not smart!

I ran to my truck and got my....camera!

At this angle yes on the head shot...that was prior to the charge.

Attachments

#4 ·
Lungs-upper chest might be easier to hit verses a head shot.
I’ve been charged by a black bear when I thought I could take my bird feeder from it...not smart!
I ran to my truck and got my....camera!
At this angle yes on the head shot...
Nice shot, glad you are in one piece to share your story. Check out the eyes on that bear, it has you sighted and you are in the cross hair. Next time forget about the bird feeder, my wife and I will send you one if you need one that bad. Good photo and a good story to keep with it. That photo is a keeper.
* Yes on the head shot! On this one and a follow up or two.
* The debate on where to aim at a charging bear begins. Like someone stated try hitting a basketball coming at you at 25MPH!!!! Time waits for no one.

#7 ·
Shoot it in the butt, take careful aim and throw heavy revolver at head, then OUT RUN your partner. Its either that or save 1 bullet. 😨

Seriously, aim just at base of its nose, while its bobbing up and down coming at you at very high speed. Wait till its close enough then gently squeeze trigger - hopefully the shot will be either low or high. Whew, am still joking about letting it get closer... though have heard some professional guides say that. Hmmm.

#10 ·
You are more than likely to miss the bear with any shot. But maybe change his mind or slow his aggression. But no aiming involved here. Point and shoot. If the bear is intent on getting at you he should be close enough to hit with a bit of luck. If he is far enough to aim at. He wasn't after you. But most likely bluff charges.

#12 ·
But most likely bluff charges.
Bears do the “buff charge” a lot. Some years ago we were Elk hunting out west, and my buddy was bluffed by a bear.

Quackaholic is right about the aiming aspect. My buddy was eating lunch when a bear stepped out on the trail about 35 to 40yds away and charged him. At about 15yds it veered off. He had no time to grab his pistol or spray, he did have enough time to soil himself though. He was a nervous wreck that night and needless to say we did some serious drinking.

Regardless of how well you plan, (and he rehearsed this scenario) you really aren’t ready. He told me that night that he has never seen anything that big move that fast. He said it was on him in an instant.

Point-n-pull and hope for the best.

#11 ·
Two possible considerations when there is the possibility of running into bears:

1. You might have a better chance of scoring a head / face shot with bear spray than with a big bore pistol.

2. Never hike alone in bear country. Always make sure that you are with a older and slower hiking partner. That way, you don't have to outrun the bear - just your hiking buddy.

#13 ·
Best thing I've done over the years when in bear country, is to be as noisy as you can. Most are fairly skittish and will avoid humans if they know they're around and you'll never see one.

#14 ·
Years ago I decided to mark my territory off the edge of the deck...went back in the house and 10 minutes later went out and looked over the edge to see a bear erasing my whizz!!!

Attachments

Reactions: Huzzar
#15 ·
20 to 30 feet (or more) per second is incredible speed for something that big.

Also, me and my buddy fishing in WY with had a deal, if we had a broadside angle on a bear that bothered either one of us, first shot was at hindquarter (bear's!) and then would go from there.

Another thing I used to do when had rifle in my hands walking game trails, was put yellow tape on barrel muzzle to help with quick point & shoot. Three position safety was better for that cuz normally dont like walking with my 45 cartridge chambered. The tape kept rain out of barrel too. Kept a few rounds handy where muzz velocity with 500g'ers doable for that purpose too.

And did see recent grizz tracks crossing wet trail on multiple occasions, juveniles but plenty big.

#17 ·
Last time I was in Alaska I was talking to our guide about the time has was mauled by a bear. He said the bear was on him before he could think about reaching for his gun. His buddies got the beast off him but not before it managed to rearrange his head.

#23 ·
Getting off of the X is the first step of the OODA loop. The luxury of time to draw, engage, and stop the threat before contact isn’t the reality in most of these accounts. While I’ve not been charged by a bear, having been charged literally hundreds of times by other species - moving your feet is the most critical skill to develop.

#25 ·
Anyone want to speculate how .380 FMJ would fare in a head shot. My LCP is my constant pocket companion and we see black bears in our Pocono Mts. back yard weekly. Not that I expect it to stop one in it's tracks but maybe it would change his mind? I keep a 12 gauge with slugs inside the house in case one comes in through our not so reassuring Andersen glass patio door. They used to be more skittish but lately they just look at you when we yell at them. A 800 pounder was taken this year in a nearby county.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.