Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts
Head shot with hot, wide meplat, hard cast bullet. And the best of luck

Getting off of the X is the first step of the OODA loop. The luxury of time to draw, engage, and stop the threat before contact isn’t the reality in most of these accounts. While I’ve not been charged by a bear, having been charged literally hundreds of times by other species - moving your feet is the most critical skill to develop.

I used to drive up this street to visit a friend of mine. It’s rare but a momma bear can have up to 5 cubs!

Anyone want to speculate how .380 FMJ would fare in a head shot. My LCP is my constant pocket companion and we see black bears in our Pocono Mts. back yard weekly. Not that I expect it to stop one in it's tracks but maybe it would change his mind? I keep a 12 gauge with slugs inside the house in case one comes in through our not so reassuring Andersen glass patio door. They used to be more skittish but lately they just look at you when we yell at them. A 800 pounder was taken this year in a nearby county.

Anyone want to speculate how .380 FMJ would fare in a head shot. My LCP is my constant pocket companion and we see black bears in our Pocono Mts. back yard weekly. Not that I expect it to stop one in it's tracks but maybe it would change his mind? I keep a 12 gauge with slugs inside the house in case one comes in through our not so reassuring Andersen glass patio door. They used to be more skittish but lately they just look at you when we yell at them. A 800 pounder was taken this year in a nearby county.
Good luck with that.

I would not use .380 for self defense against two legged attackers.

It might put them into a concussion protocol and they would be gone for 2 weeks.

My advice is get a bear license and get yourself a nice rug. They will pay more attention then.

In the case of a bear, the .380 is not for the bear

Anyone want to speculate how .380 FMJ would fare in a head shot. My LCP is my constant pocket companion and we see black bears in our Pocono Mts. back yard weekly. Not that I expect it to stop one in it's tracks but maybe it would change his mind?
Zero to none. You would then have a wounded and aggressive monster on the loose that wants to rip you or anything else to shreds.

Zeroing in on the head shot with .44 mag. If given the opportunity & luck, what about the eye, open mouth, or ear canal?
You really think you'd be able to aim in on the eye or ear while you're standing there crapping your drawers? You'd better just keep shooting everything your've got at that melon, and be ready to run.

This is pretty good at showing just how a close encounter feels like...without shooting. Very tense!
I also use the loud voice tactic...and I’m still standing! Lol

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.