Ruger Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts
Throw the handgun gun to distract it and grab an an M14, lol.

In all seriousness, the Danish army uses 10mm against Polar Bears. I'm not sure if that's to actually kill them or to scare them. Supposedly a hot 357 can do it, bit I think .41 Mag on up to be sure is your best bet.

And as for .380? Against bear? Nope, I'm good. I carry a .380 for 2 legged creatures. Even then on the weak side, but will get the job done for that, just not any 4 legged creatures, save for rabid bunnies.

If only armed with .44 magnum revolver, where best to aim for on a charging black bear?
What do you mean "if only armed with a 44 Mag handgun"? That's about as good as it gets for bear protection. My advice, shoot center of mass and let the 44 mag do the rest. I was charged once by an irate sow and didn't want to shoot her because she probably had cubs nearby so jumped back on my horse and retreated. But when the adrenaline is pumping with a bear heading right for you aim center of mass and keep shooting. I never go in the woods anymore much without my 44 mag either.

What do you mean "if only armed with a 44 Mag handgun"? That's about as good as it gets for bear protection. My advice, shoot center of mass and let the 44 mag do the rest. I was charged once by an irate sow and didn't want to shoot her because she probably had cubs nearby so jumped back on my horse and retreated. But when the adrenaline is pumping with a bear heading right for you aim center of mass and keep shooting. I never go in the woods anymore much without my 44 mag either.
.480 Ruger.

The target will be moving in at least two axes, probably three. Agree with the above, aim at the center of what you see.

We were hiking on the Kenai Peninsula north of Seward and saw a fairly fresh bear track sunk down into soft soil that was the size of a turkey platter and near it was a much smaller track. We were about a mile out heading to a back country lake. Decided we really didn't feel like fishing that day and turned and headed back. All we had was bear spray but even if we had the 44 mag would have done the same thing. A black bear is one thing but this looked like the size of Godzilla and it was obviously an old sow. Can't imagine the size of the big boys.

Had to chase a cute little cub away last summer. A loner.
I know this is a belated reply but I have to think that, "cute little cub... a loner" were probably the last words ever spoken by many victims of bear attacks. :ROFLMAO:

know this is a belated reply but I have to think that, "cute little cub... a loner" were probably the last words ever spoken by many victims of bear
No visits at the house since. They seem to have moved closer to town where more garbage cans are cooking in the Sun.😁

We were hiking on the Kenai Peninsula north of Seward and saw a fairly fresh bear track sunk down into soft soil that was the size of a turkey platter and near it was a much smaller track. We were about a mile out heading to a back country lake. Decided we really didn't feel like fishing that day and turned and headed back. All we had was bear spray but even if we had the 44 mag would have done the same thing. A black bear is one thing but this looked like the size of Godzilla and it was obviously an old sow. Can't imagine the size of the big boys.
Wise man.

I love beat hunting have shot a grizzly and a black. The problem is not killing them , the problem is them dying before they kill you.! To stop a charging bear with any gun,you need to hit the spine or the brain.

We're headed over to Admiralty Island for some deer tomorrow, hopefully the bears are all snoozing but I'll carry my 45-70 Marlin anyway...besides, I've never had a deer walk away after it gets hit with a 350 gr. Barnes.... Last I heard, Fish & Game estimates about 1000 brown bears on the island.

Well one thing I've learned, not to go hiking or hunting with most of you, if you k now me you know why ... I guess spray and pray is my only option ... LMCAO ...

Tons of deer sign today; tracks everywhere, rubs and a few scrapes, lots of raisinettes. But not a deer to be seen (at least by me). I did cut a bear track (it was old) in the snow and I was almost back to the boat and had to do a detour through the brush to get around a creek (tide was in) and heard some brush snapping and the pitter-patter of little feet....thinking I'd jumped a deer that close to the boat, I ducked around a tree to see if I could get a shot. Wouldn't you know it, brown bear! He walked that-away and I went this-away. Oh well, nice day for a walk anyway.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.