Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a laser on my Security 9. It seems to be aimed pretty good just from my "hit and miss" aiming. Is there a way at a gun shop where it can be put in a machine and get an accurate aim on it? == I don't think the word "aim" is what I a searching for but hopefully you know what I mean. Thanks,

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,875 Posts
I have aligned several lasers in my dim garage. With an UNLOADED pistol I aim with the sights at the point where a corner meets the ceiling. I activate the laser and see where it hits in relation to the aim point. I adjust the laser to the aim point. Aligning the laser with the sights at 45 feet has worked well for me.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I do what ngashooter does too, but just to "boresight" the laser and get it close. I then take it out to the range and make sure the laser is zeroed where it should be.
As all I have on my pistols now are green lasers, I can check them at the range in the daytime.
When I had red lasers, I had to go to my (outdoor) range after dark.

·
Registered
584 Posts
SME Sight-Rite Laser Bore Sight .22-250 Remington . Something like this may interest you. I would think you could gently clamp your pistol in a vice with this laser bore sight on, chambered and aimed at a suitable target at your desired shooting distance. Then align your pistol laser to the bore sight laser. In theory, this would be relatively close. I've not used them myself. Just a thought. Good Luck, Big McK!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am not a expert on this but I found that the laser and bullet will only meet at one point. So I set my laser to to meet my bullet at the distance I use or need the most. Everything else will be a little high or a little low depending on different distance. I feel that the only way to know how it will work out is range time. Being a pistol I would set the laser to set at the top of my front sight at 7 yards. It should be right on for self-defenses use .

·
Super Moderator
21,342 Posts
The most important adjustment is windage. Get that to center and the elevation will vary with the distance you are shooting at. If you are dead on at 10 yards then IMHO from a practically standpoint the elevation difference would not be material from 0-25 yards.

Reactions: Bozz48

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
782 Posts
I have a cheap (<$15) laser boresighter that I got on fleabay. It has different plastic collets and slides into the muzzle end of any firearm. I've used it to align both my lasers (9mm RAP and Security 9) and my AR pistol red-dot to about 30' "zero".

It's far from a precision unit, but I find myself using it from time to time to get things aligned.

For as cheap as they are, they're well worth the investment, because you find yourself using it from time to time. If I mounted scopes for a living, I'd get a better unit (did have one I bought at Cabela's years ago, but can't find it), but for my incidental use, the cheap one works just fine.

Aqualung

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
If you are going to bet your life on a laser sight you really need to sight it in , with carry ammo , at the range ... or at least let another shooter do it for it .
Mechanical alaignments , no shooting with ammo , is OK to get started but you don't want to stake your life on it .
Gary

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
782 Posts
If you are going to bet your life on a laser sight you really need to sight it in , with carry ammo , at the range ... or at least let another shooter do it for it .
Mechanical alaignments , no shooting with ammo , is OK to get started but you don't want to stake your life on it .
Gary
Fully agree, but forgot to mention it in my post above...

The boresighter is used for just that...boresighting to get you close. Nothing takes the place of actual operational testing and calibration.

Reactions: gwpercle
1 - 9 of 9 Posts