Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

In my rebuild of an old 1022, I used a fluted, threaded 16.5" barrel from Pike Arms and have been experimenting with various sight options.

I saw a post a few days ago, I think from "Slick guns", advertising the Aimshot HG PRO with green cross hair reticle. The price was amazingly low (less than 1/2 the price on Aimshot's web site. Advertised battery life is either 6,000 or 2,000 hours depending on the ad or paperwork that came with the sight, so I will plan on 2,000 hours. So I ordered it and it showed up yesterday.

I have had zero experience with this kind of sight in the past, and was surprised at how BIG this thing is. The weight is about 10.5 ounces- about the same as a fully loaded TriMag with 30 bullets.

The sight latches onto your rail with a swing arm latch, and if you buy one be sure that you have an extended length Picatinny rail. The latch arm can easily interfere with your access to the bolt handle. It has to be mounted way back, or way forward, to keep from snagging your finger on the latch as you try to manipulate the bolt handle.

Those who are familiar with reflex sights already know that the field of view through these is huge, and I like that aspect. With this brand, the cross hairs are clearly defined, but fairly thick. The light intensity of the reticle is adjustable over 6 settings.

The other characteristic that I like, making the size and weight justified, is the extreme heavy duty, waterproof build. It is hard to imagine even a hammer blow damaging this sight.

I clicked on the Rugerforums ad and wound up on the purchase page on Amazon and placed my order. The sight arrived within two days. The sale price was $100. and change, and the price is more than twice that on the Aimshot web site.

Compared to all of the Red Dot and Reflex sights being sold straight from China through eBay and Amazon for $20.00 or so, I am not unhappy to spend 5 times the low price for something American-made with a five year warranty. It comes in a hard-shell, padded, zippered case. The zipper had completely broken off the case that I received, so I emailed Aimshot with a warranty claim. They have already shipped out a replacement case.

So, if you like Reflex sights, this brand might be worth your dollars.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The Aimshot customer service rep. who sent out my replacement zipper hard case so quickly also sent an email, saying that the "HG PRO" is large for a 1022. Says that he uses the Aimshot M3G model reflex sights on his own 1022's (the M3G is smaller than the "HG PRO", but very rugged, and Amazon sells them for $75.00).

Jeff says that he has used the "HG PRO" on his AR for four years without the slightest problem. So far, I don't mind the size or weight of the HG PRO because my 1022 build is with the Magpul Hunter X22 stock (semi-military) and a .920" short bull barrel. The overall size and weight of the gun isn't much smaller than an AR, so the size of the reflex sight doesn't bother me. The large view and easy target acquisition of the sight is impressive.

I have some tactical flashlights that use the CR123 batteries that this sight uses, and they are available in rechargeable versions, so battery expense is not a concern.

I have not adjusted this sight yet nor fired a shot, but so far I feel that this is a good manufacturer. Also, Jeff at Aimshot corrected my first post- this model in their product line is actually made in Taiwan from a U.S. design. The affordable price is the result of foreign labor. Still has a 5-year warranty.

For those who are interested, Aimshot's headquarters is in Georgia.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts