Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a great day. Started off with some personal best shotgunning (rounds of 21 and 20 at the easy wobble trap, rounds of 11 and 11 at skeet and a round of 11 at regular trap). Beautiful day, I stopped for miniburgers at Damon's and then went to the Air and Space museum at Dulles in suburban VA.

What a wonderful museum this is. I've said it before, but someone visiting this area can have an awesome day at this museum and the nearby NRA museum. Both just a great investment of time.

While there I saw an Imax movie narrated by Tom Hanks about going to the moon. Very moving.

The two chapters of American history that make me most proud, are the Greatest Generation quite literally saving the world in WWII, and the next generation choosing to do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard, and landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth. This, my friends, was a God Bless America Day. Pass it on, brothers.

I only had my phone camera with me, snapped a couple. Here's one.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jimbo if you're ever in the DC area don't hesitate to let me know, I'd be happy to tour again with you.

I forgot to mention another cool feature of the museum. There are these kiosks throughout, where with a touch screen you can select an aircraft and click on it, and it gives you the view from inside the cockpit! You can then pan up and down, side to side to see what it looked like from the pilot's point of view. Particularly interesting on historic planes like the Enola Gay, it's just a cool way to get that much closer to history.

They don't have this feature for the space shuttle, however, I think because it's still in use and could be a national security issue. But that's a dashboard I'd love to see!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have been to DC twice, and never made it to the Air & Space Museum. But it is one that is on my list the next time I get down that way.

Good scores with the Model 12, all the practice is starting to pay off!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Thanks Eddie. I'll take you up on it if I ever get that way. We are suppose to visit friends in New Hampshire one of these days, maybe we can work that in.
I visited the Air & Space museum in San Diego many times before it caught afire and burned down in '78. It was a really cool place in the old World's Fair buildings. I cried when it was destroyed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The F4U looks great, however if you ever get to Chino, CA or Valle, AZ you need to check out The Planes of Fame. Most if not all of their planes are in flying condition.

http://www.planesoffame.org/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts