Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering is someone here ever got stopped or additional checks in an airport because of gunpowder residue on clothes or hands when going through the security gates (of which I assume they sniff for dangerous molecules).

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Not exactly. I did once or twice gets asked to do the chemical swab test thing but that was before I got into guns and reloading. In at last one case I didn't really have time but figured it couldn't take long and wasn't sure if a refusal of that quick test might result in some additional unneccesary scrutiny.

My brother got stopped once for the chemical residue test and the alarm went off. As they questioned him he recalled that before leaving for the airport he had been petting the dog and the dog had just come in from the yard and the yard had just been fertilized by the lawn care company.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I took a guy shooting that was getting on a plane a few hours later...probably 6 months ago. He washed his hands and to my knowledge had no issues, we had even talked about the possibility of the residue being detected on him so I am sure he would had mentioned it to me later on but never did.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I was once pulled out of line for a test after going through the monitor. I thought it was because I had residue all over my jacket since I was shooting the day before. I had even put spent brass in both pockets of the jacket. When I asked if I had triggered something, the TSA officer said it was totally random. They swiped my hands and carry-on but nothing showed up.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
A bit off the subject but thought it interesting...I had a nuclear heart scan some years ago and they gave me a little card that indicated I'd had the scan and some "technical details". I was told to keep the card with me...They told me if I didn't want to be questioned or investigated to stay away from any detection devices like in court houses or airports for a few days...

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
A dog smelled my hands and I was questioned at Newark Nj airport about 3 months after 9/11. I had been shooting the night before and I was taken aside and questioned. I showed my Nj firearms permit and such and after 110 minutes or so let go.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I watched some retards randomly pull some of us out of line on a return flight from Afghanistan, they stopped randomly selecting us shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
A bit off the subject but thought it interesting...I had a nuclear heart scan some years ago and they gave me a little card that indicated I'd had the scan and some "technical details". I was told to keep the card with me...They told me if I didn't want to be questioned or investigated to stay away from any detection devices like in court houses or airports for a few days...

Yeah, those imaging isotopes are pretty "hot" and will light up the radiation detectors in the airport. The TSA doesn't advertise their presence (they may not be in every airport), but I've heard of some people tripping them after a nuclear medicine scan. The card makes it easier to convince the TSA that you haven't been building a "dirty bomb" in your garage.

Jim

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's now 2 times in a row I've been "swiped" (within 2 weeks) in the same airport. Could be random, but there's a small chance.
Maybe I look like a terrorist, although (unfortunately) it's clear from my physical build that I do like spare ribs & beer :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's now 2 times in a row I've been "swiped" (within 2 weeks) in the same airport. Could be random, but there's a small chance.
Maybe I look like a terrorist, although (unfortunately) it's clear from my physical build that I do like spare ribs & beer :)
You must be my long lost twin :D

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I never had that happen after a day at the range (range trips and air travel are generally spaced far apart), but they always wanted to swab my carry-on when I flew through Laguardia after working at Brookhaven National Lab.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
YUP!

few years back I was in TX for a week going through my father-in-laws belongings after he'd passed away suddenly (aneurysm) A bunch of firearms, LOTS of ammo and the usual accessories, etc. Each day I'd spend a couple hours going through stuff then take a break often going on my laptop and then back to the stuff. This went on for a few days.
Heading home we get our boarding passes and head into the security check. Just a small airport so not busy at all (Hobby Airport just south of Houston). Wife goes through... The boy goes through... I go through... She gets her carry on, the boy his... "Sir this your's?" as he references my laptop. I get called over to a podium and he casually says he needs to recheck the laptop and swab my hands. Got a frisking too. :) Next thing I know a guy with an AR is there. WHOA! Security guy was great though and calmly and as a normal person, shows the scan identified explosive residue on the laptop. I explained the previous few days, he swabbed me, the laptop and rescanned it. Got the all clear and away we went.

Lesson: Wash your hands before touching anything!

·
Registered
185 Posts
nope -

I have passed through on a day right after being at the range. They do the swab and nothing registers.

They swab me and my stuff because i decline the millimeter wave and make them frisk me.

·
Registered
680 Posts
All ^^^^ this above is why I haven't flown on a plane in almost eight years or so! I'll gladly not give up my freedom and drive!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Airport security in the US is a freedom stealing joke. TSA and Dept. of Homeland Security needs to be eliminated.
Best post in this thread. Unfortunately for many, flying is a necessary evil. I love asking the moron TSA agent on the other side of the machines if they "found my 4th Amendment rights?" The idiots look at me with the same dumb look over and over, and it plainly says "whats the 4th amendment." Schools don't teach that stuff anymore and its sad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts