Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AK 74 Russia's attempt to duplicate the .223/5.56 in 1974. Now just my very basic knowledge is the 5.45x39 a true .224 diameter or .221?? Can you get components to reload this caliber or just cheaper to shoot commercial stuff??Having my Mini-14 .23/5.56 then at the LGS looking at the AK 47's they are nice a nice addition to a Mini-14 or any AR-15 etc. Seeing on You Tube on the AK74 & 5.45x39 looks like a very similar ctg when compared to the .223/5.56. My interest is having a AK platform rifle, the 5.45x39 in recoil would be less compared to a 7.62x39. My use strictly recreational use. Seeing the basic AK open sights ok can a scope be mounted on a AK47/74?? Opinions & comments welcomed thx in advance!!!:D;)!

·
Registered
734 Posts
It's definitely .221 diameter. Reloading components are available. I don't know the cost of commercial ammo. When 7n6 was banned I read a lot of grumbling that people would be forced to reload for it once their current ammo stocks dwindle.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Just my personal quirk, but a carbine using a different ammo than my Mini-14 or AR would not be as welcome as a carbine that fired the same round as the other two. The 5.45x39 might be a similar looking cartridge to the 5.56 x45, but I myself would not want to keep ammo on hand that would only work in the AK74.
Buying an SKS would fit right in with my Mini-30's and my Romanian AKM, as I would have one ammo that can be used in all three.
But more guns are always good, let us know if you get one !

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like to me get the AK47 instead big difference in ammo not to mix up etc. Probably much more available as well.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
7n6 is getting harder to find and is becoming more costly. Components aren't plentiful. My preference goes to the AKM and 762. ...or an AK in 556.

Optics can be mounted through numerous means on AKs. Many have a side rails installed. Ultimak makes a gas tube that places a 1913 rail forward of the rear sight. There is the TWS Dog Let for a receiver optic. Midwest Industries makes a nice rail for a handguard for optics and other gear. Tons of options out there.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have the Mini 14 my son has the AR-15 I like the AK 47/74 platform neat rifle's to me it sounds like its better now to go with the AK47

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok gun and ammo & I do have the desire to own one plus I live where I can buy one with out all the nonsense BS!!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Most rifles, save for underfolders, will have a side mount for Russian optics or picatinny rail mounting.

The Bulgarian Arsenal guns are a little pricey but the best out there.

I'm surprised they aren't more popular. They've been the standard Russian issue for decades now.

Steel cased corrosive ammo is still reasonable when found in bulk. You just can't skimp on cleaning afterwards.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
How much like the WASR you described??
WASRs generally run $550-$650 New. You can find them under $600 usually. The rifles from the past few years have seen a bump in quality (though they're still AKs). I have an older underfolder (Romanian WASR 10/63) and it's just as good in function.

I think the Romanian is the best deal for an AKM clone right now. There are other fine AKa in the same price bracket.

Yugo PAPs are good rifles though they are not chrome lined (I don't know if that a problem for you- you just need to be more attentive with corrosive ammo).

Saigas with basic (or rear) conversions are a good way to go as well. These almost look like an AK, can be made into an AK, but they operate just the same.

Classic Firearms has some FEG Hungarian AK mutts for sale for about $500. They have the 63 and the 65 (this model has the side folder wire stock). These are probably a good choice, but many criticize the barrel. I have a similar one that I finished building and it's been great.

You can always get an Arsenal for $1000. ;) (They are nice!)

Ultimately, for a first AK, I recommend the WASR. It's ready to go and is a good buy.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I owned a Century Arms Bulgarian several years back ,it came with a Tapco trigger and a Novac Spud reciever .It ran well for the short time I owned it and Tula Ammo was plentyful for it . I only sold it to buy another Mini . Since them Ive only owned one other Ak but overall prefer other platforms . WTS you AK fans know why you love them ...and I'm glad we have choices . ( for now )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts