Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Okay. So you guys helped me out with my last gun purchase so I thought I'd turn to you guys again.
Which is the best Stuff happens rifle? Pro's and con's of each?
I just might be looking for one this holiday season. I know I just bought two guns recently, but I want to get 'em while I can. So which do you prefer and why?
Convince me. :)

AK-47 Platform?

or

AR-15 Platform?

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or as LAgun would say...

"I gots [to get] me a new toy before the man come and try'n take it away..."

:D :D :D

· Registered
337 Posts
I own both. If I had to chose just one it would be the AK. More reliable and certainly more powerful. Just MHO

· Registered
658 Posts
Question for those that answered. I have never owned an AK but have an AR so I cannot compare. Power, I do understand, so no problem with that answer. However I also have never had ANY reliability issues with my AR (again only know mine). I chose it due to availability ammo and parts being in many places in my and most areas in case of the Stuff happens scenarios. Not arguing, just wondering why?

· CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,754 Posts
Depends on your plans. Personally, I'd say a GOOD AR-15. You're going to be on the move, right? How much ammo do you want to carry? I'd prefer to carry the .223. Say you're out and stranded, need to hunt somewhat quietly? A .22 conversion can be dropped in your sack, or better yet a lightweight upper, and .22 has lots of advantages in that scenario. I own both. Let's just put it this way. I've got several AR mags loaded if I did have an immediate need. The AK sits empty, even though I've got over 1K rounds for it.

· Banned
4,774 Posts
I have owned both my choice would be an AR for the following reasons
1=ARs are a LOT more accurate
2=ARs have a lot more more ammo choices and as a NATO round there's heaps of readily available milsurp ammo.
3=There"s a lot more after mkt accessories available
4=They are a far superior platform to scope up the AK is an abomination to get scope accuracy out of with the currently available mounts.
5=The AR is modular allowing the easy fitting of different uppers ,lowers ,barrels etc.
6=The ARs with different barrel twist rates can shoot a wide variety of different bullet weights.
7=Ammo is lighter and more can be carried.
8=Some would say they think .223/.556 is to light ,i would suggest they at some point take an animal with federal fusion 62 grn or Hornady tap 75 grn and check out the damage,i have lost track of the ammount of one shot kills that i have taken on fallow deer with .223 it leaves a very traumatic wound channel and just about all have dropped where they have stood.

These are just a few good reasons,but all are good enough in my opinion to choose an AR over an AK.

· Registered
1,248 Posts
I've mentally gone around in circles on this question for quite while (what's the best Stuff happens rifle if I could only have one) and I'm wondering why the following choices are rarely mentioned in these conversations:

• Mini-14/Ranch Rifle - As far as I know, today's Mini's are as accurate and reliable as any $700-800 AR, with the same stopping power & rate of fire, in a package of similar size and weight
  • Gunsite Scout Rifle - The GSR is supposed to Ruger's implementation of Mr. Cooper's vision for just such a scenario and provides significantly more stopping power than an AK or AR (or Mini), with the main sacrifice being lower rate of fire
  • Springfield M1A - I'm partial to the Scout model which seems to be to a near perfect mix of the best features of the above mentioned weapons; the downside being the cost is more than the 2 listed above combined…

· Registered
1,407 Posts
I have owned both my choice would be an AR for the following reasons
1=ARs are a LOT more accurate
2=ARs have a lot more more ammo choices and as a NATO round there's heaps of readily available milsurp ammo.
3=There"s a lot more after mkt accessories available
4=They are a far superior platform to scope up the AK is an abomination to get scope accuracy out of with the currently available mounts.
5=The AR is modular allowing the easy fitting of different uppers ,lowers ,barrels etc.
6=The ARs with different barrel twist rates can shoot a wide variety of different bullet weights.
7=Ammo is lighter and more can be carried.
8=Some would say they think .223/.556 is to light ,i would suggest they at some point take an animal with federal fusion 62 grn or Hornady tap 75 grn and check out the damage,i have lost track of the ammount of one shot kills that i have taken on fallow deer with .223 it leaves a very traumatic wound channel and just about all have dropped where they have stood.

These are just a few good reasons,but all are good enough in my opinion to choose an AR over an AK.
Kiwi pretty much said what I was going to say. The versatility of being able to swap uppers with another AR and being able to simply Drop in a .22 conversion kit is what made me choose the AR Platform. As long as you buy or build a quality AR, you will have a rifle that will last you a lifetime. Having said that, I would still like to purchase an AK :D

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Okay. So you guys helped me out with my last gun purchase so I thought I'd turn to you guys again.
Which is the best Stuff happens rifle? Pro's and con's of each?
I just might be looking for one this holiday season. I know I just bought two guns recently, but I want to get 'em while I can. So which do you prefer and why?
Convince me. :)

AK-47 Platform?

or

AR-15 Platform?
Forgive my ignorance, but why are they referred to as "platforms"?

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forgive my ignorance, but why are they referred to as "platforms"?
I'm not very well versed in the terms used to describe different types of rifles. I know there are a lot of different brands and models of AK's and AR's. So I just said platform, meaning they run on AK or AR receivers with different builds. I guess that's kinda what I meant by platform. :)

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far for my AR-15 I'm looking at the Colt 6920. I'm leaning toward the AR the more I hear about it. I can still change my mind though.

I appreciate the feedback. Anymore good arguments for the AK?

BuckeyeBlast and Kiwihunter have really sold me on the AR. :)

· CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,754 Posts
So far for my AR-15 I'm looking at the Colt 6920. I'm leaning toward the AR the more I hear about it. I can still change my mind though.

I appreciate the feedback. Anymore good arguments for the AK?

BuckeyeBlast and Kiwihunter have really sold me on the AR. :)
The 6920 is one of the very best. I love mine.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
I can't preach this enough but if you can, build your own. You can get some high quality parts when on sale, and putting it together yourself will give you an extensive understanding of your rifle. Not only that, but there is so much pride in knowing you built your rifle. I bought my very first AR and built my last 2. If I could do it all over again, I would have never purchased a complete rifle. Just something to think about.

· Registered
1,247 Posts
AR for me. If I were in the middle east, Africa, eastern Europe, Russia, or the far east then I'd opt for an AK. Especially if I could get one of the good ones with a machined receiver (not stamped out).

But since I'm most likely to be right here in the USA if the S ever does HTF, I'm sticking with my AR. Plenty of ammo available. (My SR556 can take either 5.56 or .223). Lots of other ARs here. Plenty of parts and mags. Accuracy is much better with the AR, and I can carry a lot more ammo.

Yes, burying your rifle in the sand or mud and then trying to fire it is somewhat easier with the AK, but that isn't something I ever plan on doing. I keep my guns cleaned and oiled and will continue to do so even in a Stuff happens scenario. Besides, today's AR15s aren't the problematic and crappy M16s we were stuck with all those years ago.

· Registered
1,247 Posts
Sorry for the double post. I don't know why it does that sometimes.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.