Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would vote Casul...and then shoot 45LC when your wrist cries uncle. ;) Seriously, I loved the 454 in a Raging Bull...only Taurus I ever owned that was worth a crap. In the SR...Suuweet!!

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
.44 mag, 454 casul, 480 ruger. Which should I get?
I would HIGHLY recommend the .454 Casull...you can shoot .45 Colt, which is relatively comfortable to shoot, through it as well!

Mine has an XS Sight Systems - Home tritium front sight and is loaded with 225 Grain PDX1 Winchester JHP's for home & personal defense! Speedloader has 300 grain Hornady XTP JHP's if it goes that far...but I hope not!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have both the 44 and the 454 and hope some day to run across a 480 and have the money at the same time. I don't care to shoot 44 Specials in my 44 Mag and don't care to shoot 45 Colt in the 454. I'm having to much fun shooting the 454s in the 454 and 44 Mag in the 44 Mag. For those that do that's fine it's just not my cup of tea. I had my 3 Alaskans out today and put 50 rounds through each. What a blast! I'm still working on accuracy out to 25 yards but in the mean time...they are just plain fun to shoot.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I vote for the .44 Magnum.......but that's just my opinion, since I already owned a 4" .44 Redhawk, a 9.5" .44 Super Redhawk and a S&W 29, it made more sense to me to stay with .44 Magnum. As a shooter, I wanted to actually be able to find ammo for my Alaskan, since I don't handload. There's nothing in my area that a .44 Magnum won't bring down, so for defense I feel the Alaskan .44 will cover me as a woods gun.

I still have a .454 7.5" Super Redhawk on my "wants" list though :)

Buffalo Bore makes .44 Magnums that approach .454 Casull power levels and these are basically Ruger and Freedom Arms only loads.

I use the 4" Redhawk as my .44 Special shooter, and I shoot .44 Mags through my Alaskan. I use my 9.5" Super Redhawk as a target gun, and it sees everything from .44 Russian to heavy .44 Mags....... So, I have my .44 bases pretty well covered.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
+1 on the 44 mag if you don't hand load. Much easier to find full house 44 mag loads on the store shelf than heavy 45 Colt loads. Most of the 45 Colt loads you see in stores are on the milder side since there are a lot of older and lighter built 45 Colt guns in use or you'll find 45 Colt in even milder cowboy action shooting loads. As for 454s, for darn sure, you won't find 454 Casulls at your local Wal-mart and a lot of local gun stores won't even carry them. When they do, it will take a good bite out of your pocketbook.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,305 Posts
I have an S&W 460XVR magnum. It allows you to shoot 460 S&W, 454 Casull, or 45 Colt. I also own five .44 magnums. They are pretty mild after shooting the 460 S&W magnum.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I do not find the 454 easy to shoot, regardless of how much more difficult the 460 is. However, if in big bear country, the 454 is a great option. Bigger power, yet the 45 LC is good for home defense. The 460, of course can shoot these rounds too, but the gun is way more expensive and way larger, which penalizes the acquisition with every carry/use.
Maybe we oughta get a S&W revolver model that shoots a .458 Magnum and pair it up with a BLR or a Model 70... Or maybe a Freedom Arms in 500 Nitro Express and pair it up with a double barreled rifle. Maybe an 8 shot version...
Where will it all end? With a whole bunch of monster guns no one wants to carry or shoot, and some future generation scratching their noggins wondering, "What the heck made Grandpa buy such a bizarre revolver?"

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,305 Posts
....Where will it all end? With a whole bunch of monster guns no one wants to carry or shoot, and some future generation scratching their noggins wondering, "What the heck made Grandpa buy such a bizarre revolver?"
I think you are very right about the future demand for big bore revolvers. I meet younger members of the newest shooting generation complaining of the very harsh recoil of their 9mm handguns. One large 6' tall 200 pound tough guy at the LGS this week was telling the clerk he shot several rounds from his friend's S&W J-frame .357 magnum and his hand and arm went numb and was still sore a week later. I laughed and told him my 5' tall petite wife carries one and qualifies with it.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I would love to have an Alaskan in .44 mag. Not many of them for sale around the Atlanta area. Please post picks when you bring home your choice.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Future handgun trends seem to go toward polymer semi autos.........the younger set (for the most part) would rather shoot a 16 shot .40 than a 6-shot .44 Magnum.

I have noticed the trend toward the "hand cannons" in recent years, it became sort of an arms race between S&W and Ruger for the "most powerful handgun in the world".........the .44 Magnum was IT for decades, and then the .454 came out, and then Ruger had the short-lived .480, then S&W countered with the .460 and .500........I guarantee 99.9% of the people who buy these monster hand cannons don't even hunt with them, they are range toys and conversation pieces.:) Which is fine, consumers want monster revolvers so S&W and others oblige, in the effort to make money:) The fad will die down at some point and there will be a ton of used .500 S&W's with half a box of rounds thrown in for sale on GunBroker:p

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
.44 mag, 454 casul, 480 ruger. Which should I get?
Andy, I would check ammo prices and availability in your area as others have pointed out already. .454 Casull is rare around here and what you do find can run $2 each. .44 mag probably makes more sense from an economy standpoint and there's not much it won't do for you. If I were in the market for an Alaskan I would go with .44 mag.

The S&W 460XVR is 15" LOA and weighs 72.5 oz empty. A Super Redhawk with 9.5" barrel is also 15" LOA and weighs 58 oz empty. So the physical size is close to being the same with the 460XVR weighing 14.5 oz more. Both are big and heavy! The .460 S&W mag is an interesting round with some impressive characteristics. But that is a topic for another thread in a different forum....

Good luck in your quest for the right Alaskan for you. Be sure to post some pictures when you make up your mind!

Wave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts