722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Sad to hear about... the shooter will now spend the rest of his life paying for a split second's bad decision, because he thought guns and alcohol wasn't a bad idea... I don't want anything like that on my soul forever. My heart goes out to the dead man's family in this, they are the ones that really pay.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
It really is a terrible story. What a guilt complex the guy must have. I rarely drink but there's no way I could drink enough to put a gun in someones face, loaded or not.

I'm guessing this stopped the hiccups, but ended one life and ruined another one.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
:eek:Thats a shocker.....what was he thinking ...he deserves all he gets ....prayers and thoughts to the victim and his family.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Back in a previous life when I worked for a university campus police department, one of my co-workers drew his gun on me while "joking around". I immediately told him loudly and in no uncertain terms he was to NEVER do that to me again as I had no desire to become another statistic. :mad:

Never point a gun (loaded or not) at something you don't want to shoot. As stated in previous posts, this incident lead to a needless death and guilt/shame/ruination for the shooter. Very sad.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
When I drink no guns are anywhere near. That is good advice to all. I knew a college professors whose friend had died as a army mp when he and another mp had decided to pass the time one night playing quick draw with { empty} 45 autos. well one was not empty and one mp died. This was when some college professors had actually served in the military.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Great. More ammunition for the anti-gunners. What an idiot. He deserves whatever punishment he receives. Manslaughter is not enough. First Degree Murder with the Death Penalty would barely serve to be enough. I feel sorry for the family of that young kid that died because of this idiot's irresponsibility and complete disregard for the value of a human life. What a loser.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
My rules to me are without exception...

Never draw your gun unless you're going to use it.

Never point your gun unless you're going to fire it.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
taking this out of the tragic and into the practical for a moment, that's one reason i like to use snap caps in my pistol and shotgun. my 22s simply come home from the range, get a nice bath, and off to bed. the 9mm and the 12ga get cleaned but then i like to put snap caps in them to practice dry firing (getting over the flinching thing, figuring out where my dominant eye is looking, etc), but i keep live rounds WAY separate and boxed up. there are never live rounds of anything loose in my home. EVEN THEN, i still triple check before i dry fire (though that's verging into the obsessive, but i do it anyway). plus, there's no way to mistake MOST (not all, but most) snap caps from live rounds. i can't imagine not checking any of my guns before pointing or dry firing, and i'm the only one who handles them, but i still check somewhat obsessively.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
taking this out of the tragic and into the practical for a moment, that's one reason i like to use snap caps in my pistol and shotgun. my 22s simply come home from the range, get a nice bath, and off to bed. the 9mm and the 12ga get cleaned but then i like to put snap caps in them to practice dry firing (getting over the flinching thing, figuring out where my dominant eye is looking, etc), but i keep live rounds WAY separate and boxed up. there are never live rounds of anything loose in my home. EVEN THEN, i still triple check before i dry fire (though that's verging into the obsessive, but i do it anyway). plus, there's no way to mistake MOST (not all, but most) snap caps from live rounds. i can't imagine not checking any of my guns before pointing or dry firing, and i'm the only one who handles them, but i still check somewhat obsessively.
I'm the same way - ultra careful before I pull the trigger even on a red round.

BTW - if you're not using A to Z snapcaps, which are red, you should be. They're great and last a long time but they aren't the cheapest to buy.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
It really should be "Being impaired and guns don't mix"? In this case alcohol, but I think it's a much broader spectrum than just that? There's weirdness out there far worse than alcohol. Crack.....?
Tony

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
A negligent gun maker clearly needs to be sued here. I've yet to see any manual that warns against using a firearm to cure hiccups.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
It really should be "Being impaired and guns don't mix"? In this case alcohol, but I think it's a much broader spectrum than just that? There's weirdness out there far worse than alcohol. Crack.....?
Tony
People underestimate the power of alcohol because it's legal. Fact is it's responsible for more crime, violence and deaths by far over other drugs. The only street drugs I know of that are worse are PCP and this new craze with so called bath salts. People take drugs to get high, to raise their libido, not to commit crimes. The crime comes in to support their habit. Chronic meth users can have schizoid episodes, but that is more from lack of sleep than the drug itself. Alcohol is one of the very few that can cause abusers to become violent.

But gun handling should never mix with an impaired person, violent or not.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
A negligent gun maker clearly needs to be sued here. I've yet to see any manual that warns against using a firearm to cure hiccups.
It's in the fine print on the inside of your Ruger barrel. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts