Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of the groove around the Alexander Henry forends?

Steve...........

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't know what the purpose is, but I like it, its different. It is one of those like\hate kind of things apparently, though.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I remember reading a reprint of a British firearms book from the Edwardian period and the author said he like to have such a groove in his rifles forearms to be able to hook into a rest for a tighter rest. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the book or author but I distinctly remember the passage. Anyone else read the book?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I never figured out that one. I am sure there is some logic there. I just do not like it. You tell me, which of the first two pictured Ruger No. 1 rifles is more attractive:

After buying the above rifle, I was so unhappy with it (both the silly forearm and the skinny barrel) that I turned into this:

My opinion is: The Ruger 1V in 220 Swift in the top picture is the most beautiful rifle I have ever owned. Though I have eventually achieved slightly better accuracy with the last configuration of the latter (222 Rem) rifle, after the new barrel and stock, I still like the original 1V better.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have 1A's and 1B's. I like them both. Like I said, love/hate kind of thing for some. Opinions are what make the world go 'round.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have 1A's and 1B's. I like them both. Like I said, love/hate kind of thing for some. Opinions are what make the world go 'round.
As has been said, " everyone has the right to his or her own opinions but not to his or her own facts."

What we are talking about here certainly are opinions and so there is no right or wrong. It is just like some guys like blonds and others prefer brunettes. Actually, that's a good thing. Otherwise, there might not be enough attractive women to go around.:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
As has been said, " everyone has the right to his or her own opinions but not to his or her own facts."

What we are talking about here certainly are opinions and so there is no right or wrong. It is just like some guys like blonds and others prefer brunettes. Actually, that's a good thing. Otherwise, there might not be enough attractive women to go around.:D
Ah heck, Slowshot, I like 1A's, 1B's, redheads, brunettes, AND blondes.....Guess I'm just too easy........:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'll join the don't like it club, but like they said to each his own.

Slowshot
I like the top rifle the best.

Steve..........

·
Registered
483 Posts
I like the AH forend quite a lot. I like irons, too, though I nearly always use a scope on a 'working' rifle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like it was cut into the fore end so you could tie a string around and the butt stock for a sling.

Steve..........

·
Registered
1 Posts
The original purpose of the fore end notch on the old rifles was to create a place to securely tie a rifle to a vertical gun rack in a wagon. I like the feature for it suits a traditionally styled rifle like the 1A.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
The original purpose of the fore end notch on the old rifles was to create a place to securely tie a rifle to a vertical gun rack in a wagon. I like the feature for it suits a traditionally styled rifle like the 1A.
That's me as well.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It's feature on all of my #1s and I like it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Count me on the negative side, strongly so.

If as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, the total absence of any other gun-makers -- mass market or custom builders -- using the AH " feature" speaks volumes. To me it has always looked like a botched bris.

Its slimmer profile is nicer than the way-too-meaty B standard foreend but even then it can be even trimmer and quite handsome with an ebony tip. That's how my custom 1As profile.

I am playing around now with plans for an even trimmer and shorter splinter-type foreend for a short, heavy-barreled, 41 mag #1 I own.

1B

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice rifle. What barrel profile did you have put on it?

Danny

I never figured out that one. I am sure there is some logic there. I just do not like it. You tell me, which of the first two pictured Ruger No. 1 rifles is more attractive:

After buying the above rifle, I was so unhappy with it (both the silly forearm and the skinny barrel) that I turned into this:

My opinion is: The Ruger 1V in 220 Swift in the top picture is the most beautiful rifle I have ever owned. Though I have eventually achieved slightly better accuracy with the last configuration of the latter (222 Rem) rifle, after the new barrel and stock, I still like the original 1V better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts