Ruger Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
That groove was on my first one, a 1H in .416 Rigby, and I hated it. Just hated it. Now, many years later, I have grown to accept it, perhaps even like it. Either way, if it were to not be there, I am sure I would miss it.....

·
Registered
673 Posts
I am Not a Gunsmith

Nice rifle. What barrel profile did you have put on it?

Danny
I have a confession to make. I am not a gunsmith. I come from a family of machinists, so I can talk machining tech. speak. When I say I did this or that to my rifle, usually it means I saw a problem and a solution. Then I contacted a real gunsmith and discussed my ideas. In the end it was the gunsmith who did all of the work.

Here is my actual first message to Regan Nonneman regarding the Ruger No. 1project:

I have a Ruger No. 1A in 222 Remington. The 1A configuration was not my first choice. I was hoping to get a 1V in 222 Rem. but could not find one. I was rather surprised that the 2013 Ruger No 1 in 222 Rem came as a 1A, rather than the more obvious varmint version. As I suspected, the 1A is no where near to my 1V in 220 Swift for accuracy. Can you mount a 1V styled barrel to my 1A? I guess I would probably also need a new forearm. I really do not like the 1A forearm anyhow. I would be happy with either a 1B or a IV forearm.

So, have I lost my mind or is this conversion possible? If so, at what price?

Here is Regan Nonneman's reply:

To Don:
You haven't lost your mind, a varmint barrel can be installed and I may still have a fore end (wood is the hardest to obtain) which can trade.
Nonneman Custom Rifles

So, to answer your question as to what barrel profile is now on my rifle, I must confess I do not know. All I know is that it is a Shilen Varmint barrel. When it arrived, I was surprised that it was not longer. I called Regan Nonneman and asked him about that. He offered to replace the barrel with a longer one if I wished. I decided to try it as it came and am now quite satisfied. After my second round of load testing, I have the rifle shooting 1/2 MOA, 5 shot groups at 100 yards with my smallest group (so far) being 0.392". So whatever that barrel is, it works for me.:D

If you have a Ruger No. 1 for which you would like a new barrel, a different barrel or even a conversion to a different cartridge, I recommend Mr Nonneman. I got my money's worth and more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm torn between the 2. I like the AH forearm and the sights for hunting. I like the standard forearm with the sling swivel for target shooting with a bipod. I've got 2 #1's with AH forearms and 1 with traditional forearm. I guess I need to buy another #1 with a traditional forearm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
021 if your too easy...... then I must just be a whooooer. Trying to be polite there and hope no one was offended. If so I apologize.

Getting to the question at hand I'm not sure anyone knows for sure anymore. Over the last 30 years I've had reputable gunsmiths tell me, for shooting sticks, for tying rifle up like one person replied, to make a notch for sling like was often done in 1800's. And finally the best answer I ever got was, because Bill Ruger wanted it like that, and that was reason enough in the factory.

Now I've loved them since I first saw one. I have 5 now we'll 4 with 1 on the way. Everyone has a different stock I'm almost positive. I know 4 have different stocks ain't seen the last in person yet. Everytime I shoot one at my 300 yard backyard range, I think. Now this might just be my favorite. Until I shoot the next one.

I reckon when it comes to guns overall. The next one I buy will be all I need

·
Registered
31 Posts
The original purpose of the fore end notch on the old rifles was to create a place to securely tie a rifle to a vertical gun rack in a wagon. I like the feature for it suits a traditionally styled rifle like the 1A.
I saw this idea too - but you forgot the ? mark that followed it in the original post. Alexander Henry was a Scottish gun/shotgun maker at a time when hunting was done on foot out the back door of the laird's manor. I'd wager the other ideas that it is a place for shooting sticks or even a spot to get a firm grip during wet Scottish weather is closer to the actual reason for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found this explanation: Ruger News
Ruger Introduces the Ruger American Rimfire Target
December 30, 2016
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE-RGR) is pleased to introduce the Ruger American Rimfire® Target model. Built for exceptional accuracy, the 0.860" diameter, cold hammer-forged, 1/2-28" threaded target barrel model is available in .22 LR, .22 WMR and .17 HMR. With a free-floated barrel topped with a one-piece Picatinny rail, this rifle is ready for your favorite optic.

Like every Ruger American Rimfire rifle, this Target model features the Ruger Power Bedding® integral bedding blocks, crisp Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger and patented, detachable rotary magazine. The Target model also features a black laminate stock and factory-installed, knurled thread protector.

The attractive stock features front and rear sling swivel studs, a metal trigger guard and a rubber buttpad for a comfortable length of pull. The Alexander Henry forend helps to stabilize a shot when shooting from sticks, a bipod or sling.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts