Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is an odd question but a relative gave me an old Ruger flap holster that dates to around the 1970s. It says "handmade for Ruger by Bianchi -- 4 5/8" Blackhawk" on the back.

Now I'm not saying that I'm going to go and buy a Blackhawk just because I have a holster, but then again... I really do like flap holsters and I've sure heard of worse excuses for buying a gun. :D

Anyway it got me to thinking... Are all caliber Blackhawks the same width cylinder whether it's .357 magnum or 45 Colt or anything in between? Just kind of wondering if this still fits all Blackhawks of all calibers for that barrel length, of if some chamberings have been introduced in the intervening 40 years that may not work.

Banned
The Ruger practcal holster as it was called was indeed a Bianchi product and was of very good quality. I had one for my old army and it kept it very clean.

Registered
Straightwall has got it basically right.

They can't change the cylinder width too much without changing the opening in the frame that it sits in. Obviously having a different frame for each offered caliber just ain't going to happen.

Registered
As to the diameter of Ruger cylinders, the early Three Screw models were built on two different frames, the .357 Magnums being slightly smaller with smaller diameter cylinders. With the introduction of the New Models, the "medium" sized frame was dropped in favor of the larger .44 Magnum sized frames. This continued to be true until the introduction of the "Fiftieth Anniversary" Blackhawks, which reverted back to the mid-sized frame, though retains the transfer bar action. So the current .44 Specials and .357 Magnums have the smaller diameter cylinder.

Bob Wright

Registered
Under the "Whatever its Worth" heading: From an old parts list from Ruger, the Single Six frame was designated as the "R" frame, the .357 Magnum was designated as the "MR" frame, and the .44s and .45s were designated as the "MR-44" frame. This for Three Screw guns only.

Bob Wright

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As to the diameter of Ruger cylinders, the early Three Screw models were built on two different frames, the .357 Magnums being slightly smaller with smaller diameter cylinders. With the introduction of the New Models, the "medium" sized frame was dropped in favor of the larger .44 Magnum sized frames. This continued to be true until the introduction of the "Fiftieth Anniversary" Blackhawks, which reverted back to the mid-sized frame, though retains the transfer bar action. So the current .44 Specials and .357 Magnums have the smaller diameter cylinder.

Bob Wright
Thanks everybody. Yes this from Bob Wright is what I was looking for. So if this is from the mid or late 70s it should certainly not be "too small" for a new Blackhawk of any caliber.

Yes Bwinters it is indeed a "Ruger practical holster" and it's very nice. I may indeed need to buy something to carry in it. :)

Banned
The difference in cyl diameter between the mid and large frames is only .060". There will be a corresponding slight difference in the main frame height as well. Therefore it will fit either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts