Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my main carry pieces for the past several years has been a S&W Model 65 round butt 3” heavy barrel. The FBI gun (along with the model 13 in the same configuration).

It has gone through several iterations with fancy grips and nice holsters.

I finally picked up a spare hammer and cut off the spur. Then went with a set of hide out grips, and wrapped them with hockey tape for some extra grip that doesn’t stick to my clothes under my shirt.

lastly, I paired it with a holster from JM Custom Kydex IWB holster that love.

So in the end it’s all go no show. Not pretty, but boy does it shoot and boy does it carry great!

You’ll never convince me there’s a better carryin’ and fightin’ revolver than a 3” K Frame

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,108 Posts
I could not agree more. I love my 3" K frame. I was getting guns out of my safes earlier tonight and picked one to take. I will be setting up my rifle range Saturday on family land in S.Georgia. This is what will be on my side as I walk through the pines.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could not agree more. I love my 3" K frame. I was getting guns out of my safes earlier tonight and picked one to take. I will be setting up my rifle range Saturday on family land in S.Georgia. This is what will be on my side as I walk through the pines. View attachment 155953
That’s awesome! Those 65-6’s are great with the full underlug. I’ll agree that the coverage of the ejector rod is one of the few things that improve the earlier 65’s

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
One of my main carry pieces for the past several years has been a S&W Model 65 round butt 3” heavy barrel. The FBI gun (along with the model 13 in the same configuration).

It has gone through several iterations with fancy grips and nice holsters.

View attachment 155941

I finally picked up a spare hammer and cut off the spur. Then went with a set of hide out grips, and wrapped them with hockey tape for some extra grip that doesn’t stick to my clothes under my shirt.

lastly, I paired it with a holster from JM Custom Kydex IWB holster that love.

So in the end it’s all go no show. Not pretty, but boy does it shoot and boy does it carry great!

You’ll never convince me there’s a better carryin’ and fightin’ revolver than a 3” K Frame

View attachment 155942
View attachment 155943
View attachment 155944
View attachment 155945
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... it functions so that's the important thing ...

Reactions: Phish

·
Registered
681 Posts
What's your opinion of the Kimber K6, Dr. Marneaus compared to your M65 for CC? My Dad just got one, and he really likes it, but he doesn't carry it. Just curious, and yes, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool S&W revolver guy, but I don't carry a revolver...yet.

·
Administrator
22,272 Posts
I've heard nothing but positive on the Kimber's and they are fine looking revolvers.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If you find a good deal on a Kimber revolver then by all means get it because they are really nice and better made then their 1911's.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
IMHO all S&W revolvers are a thing of beauty (except the Model 296), and yours is no exception.

·
Registered
100 Posts
IMHO all S&W revolvers are a thing of beauty (except the Model 296), and yours is no exception.
Hey! What have you got against the 296? This thread is about function, not looks. 18 ounces and 5-shots of .44 Special functions pretty well.

But in keeping with the theme of this thread, I, too, really like a 3" K-frame, this one being a 65-5 custom by Mike LaRocca of MA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Hey! What have you got against the 296? This thread is about function, not looks. 18 ounces and 5-shots of .44 Special functions pretty well.

But in keeping with the theme of this thread, I, too, really like a 3" K-frame, this one being a 65-5 custom by Mike LaRocca of MA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
I had a 296 for awhile. They're limited in what bullet weights you use. I said, "IMHO all S&W revolvers are a thing of beauty (except the Model 296), and yours is no exception." I didn't like mine and sold it to someone who did. No offense intended.

·
Registered
100 Posts
They're limited in what bullet weights you use.
As I understand it, the bullet weight limitation was due to the tendency of a heavy recoiling revolver, using heavier bullets to exhibit "bullet-pull". A good roll crimp remedies that problem.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Adios,

Pizza Bob
I seen one just before the panic before covid crap started and should had got that 296. Such a great looking revolver regardless!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
It is a great revolver. I can't carry IWB with kydek. It rubs and irritates my skin. If you're ever looking to replace that holster with an all leather IWB check out Lobo Gun Leather.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is a great revolver. I can't carry IWB with kydek. It rubs and irritates my skin. If you're ever looking to replace that holster with an all leather IWB check out Lobo Gun Leather.
I own rigs from Lobo. Good stuff. I wear a tucked in undershirt almost every day, and also my boxers cover most of the part that contacts my skin anyway.

I have lots of leather holsters but Kydex offers several advantages especially for a gun I train with regularly. The main one being incredible ease of re-holstering, as well as not absorbing any moisture. I do have some leather holsters that are reinforced to keep the mouth open, but I find Kydex to perform much better when I can put on a good snug belt. To each their own. Most revolver people are oldschool and see Kydex as blasphemy. I have kydex rigs for all of my revolvers, as well as leather.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I agree somewhat Dr. Marneaus. Although most of my holsters are leather I do own a few of the Crossbreed hybrids which offer the best of both worlds.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts