Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before you can join. This is just wrong. A gun enthusiast should not be strong armed into belonging to the NRA just to have a place to shoot. I am a lover of firearms for many reasons. I have been around them from an early age. I flat refuse to pay the NRA any money. The NRA is nothing more than a political Action Committee for the Ultra Conservatives. The NRA is the most untruthful organization in politics. They spread fear, untruth and propaganda to better their cause. I am a Marine who fought for the right to keep and bear arms and I totally support it. Just as I am not a one issue voter I am also not a blindly led one issue follower.

This will probably get me in trouble with many forum members but I just thought I would put that out there.

Sorry folks. I don't like Obama but I like Romney even less.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
You are free to start your own gun range, and when you go looking for insurance you'll probably end up talking with the NRA lol. In other words pursue tort reform for more economic freedom and accept a world of greater risk and personal responsibility.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
before you can join. This is just wrong. A gun enthusiast should not be strong armed into belonging to the NRA just to have a place to shoot. I am a lover of firearms for many reasons. I have been around them from an early age. I flat refuse to pay the NRA any money. The NRA is nothing more than a political Action Committee for the Ultra Conservatives. The NRA is the most untruthful organization in politics. They spread fear, untruth and propaganda to better their cause. I am a Marine who fought for the right to keep and bear arms and I totally support it. Just as I am not a one issue voter I am also not a blindly led one issue follower.

This will probably get me in trouble with many forum members but I just thought I would put that out there.

Are you telling me that out in Potosi you can not find a place to shoot, out in the country, so to speak? Drive up towards St. Louis, no NRA requirements in my area.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
The NRA is the most untruthful organization in politics.

Ok. Your post made me laugh out loud because it's a joke, right?

It seems to me you have 3 choices. Either pay the NRA and shoot at those ranges. Don't pay the NRA and don't shoot at those ranges. Or open your own range.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
TimN ... I can certainly understand your feelings. I agree with you, no one should be forced to join one organization while joining another.

As an NRA member, I have many issues with the way Wayne LaPierre is running things. Today's NRA is not the same organization that I grew up with so many years ago.

Having said that, let me try to explain why your gun club is probably requiring you to join. The NRA doles out quite a bit of money in the form of grants for programs that benefit local gun clubs and ranges (i.e. youth shooting programs, facility improvements, etc.). The chances of receiving a grant increase greatly if the club is "100% NRA". My club was "grandfathered" into the NRA as 100% NRA members. They are requiring all new members to join, but will not strong-arm existing members since that was not a requirement when they joined up. It's a moot point ... most existing members are NRA members.

Try to look at it this way. You can join the NRA for as little as $10 as an associate member. That amount of chump change isn't going to make a big difference to the NRA ... but could help your range and enhance your participation in your club. The NRA really doesn't rake in the big bucks from members. The real money pours in from the industry members. Which means every time you purchase a new firearm ... some of that money is going to the NRA. You are supporting them now ... indirectly ... whether you like it or not.

Good luck and safe shooting.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
While understand your feeling to an extent, I also understand that as a private organization the clubs have a right to establish any requirements that they wish. It is your right to accept or reject those requirements.
I would be interested to know specifically what things the NRA does or has done that you find so objectionable. Care to respond?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

I dropped out of the NRA a few years ago because of their support for right wing radicals.
Will Rodgers " I won't join any club that will have me as a member"

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I feel for you. I used to be a member of NRA when they were neutral towards political party. Then they started siding with republican candidates even in the presence of pro gun democrats. they lost their neutrality in the late eighties and I haven't been a member since.

Don't get me wrong. The NRA has done some great stuff in promoting/defending the Second Amendment, promoting firearms safety, conducting CCW workshops, developing firearms education programs, and promoting competitive shooting around the world.

I would love to rejoin them but until they become the National Rifle Association again and not the National Republican Association, I can be no part of them.

And one last thing.

Semper Fi Devil Dog!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I thank you for your service to our country. However, as others have said, you're free to start your own club or find another that suits your needs. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. It's a private club, if they want to require that you to wear pink lipstick and high heels it's their prerogative. :rolleyes:

If it weren't for the NRA, you wouldn't have a reason to be complaining about somewhere to shoot your gun.

·
Registered
815 Posts

I couldn't care less if you were a marine or not--you are able to own a gun today because of the NRA.

Many private clubs get insurance breaks if they have 100% NRA membership, and that's likely where the requirement comes from.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Join at minimum dollar amount possible that way you can shoot locally and still know your 10 bucks isn't helping them but for a minimal amount possible. You can then vote any way you want and donate more money to a another cause to offset your conscience .

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Wish I could refuse to pay many of my taxes :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't see any difference from the requirement to join theNRA than the requirement to join a union. Your money will be spent the way the organization officials decide. And that includes scholorships, grants, insureance programs, and political contributions. The same as some profits from your retirement or savings account (the bank or corporation) going to support companies that support one political party over the other. We don't have to like it, it's just a fact of life.

Unless they explain why it's necessary, as some have already, I think they do themselves a disservice and leave themselves open to criticism..

·
Registered
501 Posts
They are more than likely taking advantage of insurance offerred by NRA.In Australia, I have to be a member of SSAA to shoot at most ranges.

SSAA - Sporting Shooters' Association of Australia
Number one reason right there. If the range/club had to purchase their own accident insurance, membership dues would be a whole lot more expensive.
$25 a year thru a gun club is cheap insurance. Plus a magazine. While I do tire of receiving requests for donations, it's money well spent.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Personally I like the requirement of having to be an NRA member to join. I think every gun owner should be an NRA member. You need to thank the NRA for the gun freedoms we still have. I won't say the NRA is perfect but what organization is.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Their range, their rules.

If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts